[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

A question I asked some time ago, but might be interesting still.. I am pretty sure that the joint stiffness of IR parts is affected by their mass. I am fairly sure of this because I've made scaled-up versions of the parts with much higher mass (multiple tons), and they seem subjectively to be much, much stronger than normal-sized IR parts (can support lots more weight before wobbling like crazy, for instance).

Would KSP die a fiery death if you introduced a resource with negative mass? Here's what I was thinking: Make IR joint parts really massive so that they're very rigid (or just more rigid), then introduce some kind of negative-mass resource to cancel out some of that mass to make the overall system a reasonable weight. Or make the parts have high mass, but some kind of magical anti-gravity effect less than their mass, or something.

Possible? Ridiculous?

A question I asked some time ago, but might be interesting still.. I am pretty sure that the joint stiffness of IR parts is affected by their mass. I am fairly sure of this because I've made scaled-up versions of the parts with much higher mass (multiple tons), and they seem subjectively to be much, much stronger than normal-sized IR parts (can support lots more weight before wobbling like crazy, for instance).

Would KSP die a fiery death if you introduced a resource with negative mass? Here's what I was thinking: Make IR joint parts really massive so that they're very rigid (or just more rigid), then introduce some kind of negative-mass resource to cancel out some of that mass to make the overall system a reasonable weight. Or make the parts have high mass, but some kind of magical anti-gravity effect less than their mass, or something.

Possible? Ridiculous?

I'm just a modeller, so I have no idea if such things would be possible :P. In terms of part mass though, none of the Rework parts have had a balance pass done to them to make their weights make sense. For now it's just arbitrary.

Just want to say Thank you ZodiusInfuser for all the work you have done and you dont get paid for it. Anyhow Thank you very much Good Sir, you really helped make this game better for us.

Thanks, that means a lot. I do this for the fun of it, pure and simple. KSP lets me do all of the robotics stuff I am unable to do in my research lab, as explosions in there are .. undesirable :P. This is why the ordering of my priority list is so strange, because I work on what interests me the most, rather than what gets shouted at me the loudest. For instance I have an idea of what I'd like to do after the upcoming release, and I'm sure it won't be what people are hoping for, but they're something I want to see added.

Before I go, I had chance to re-do all the part screenshots ahead of the next release:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Possible? Ridiculous?

Not possible:( I've tried different combinations with negative mass + resource, big mass + negative resource mass, big mass, negative resource quantity etc and it didn't work. The thing is that KSP is calculating rigidity in real time taking into account final mass (so part +/- any resources in it).

That's why I'm planning a fun expansion for my mod - liquid ballast mod that will add a ballast resource to MFS IR parts. In effect, on the planet surface I can just scoop surface sand, mix it with some LF and pump it into IR parts making them much stiffer. So you have best of both worlds - lightness for transportation and rigidity when deployed on the planet :P

I think I'll wait for your version of activestruts as I've had some wierd buggyness in VAB/SPH since I put in ActiveStruts.

Plus it doesn't look like the author of ActiveStruts is working anymore and I get lots of exceptions in exceptiondetector coming from that mod, so....

Not possible:( I've tried different combinations with negative mass + resource, big mass + negative resource mass, big mass, negative resource quantity etc and it didn't work. The thing is that KSP is calculating rigidity in real time taking into account final mass (so part +/- any resources in it).

That's why I'm planning a fun expansion for my mod - liquid ballast mod that will add a ballast resource to MFS IR parts. In effect, on the planet surface I can just scoop surface sand, mix it with some LF and pump it into IR parts making them much stiffer. So you have best of both worlds - lightness for transportation and rigidity when deployed on the planet :P

Huh, that's just bizarre. You would think that the amount of resources in a part (logically, but since when has that been a hallmark of KSP's programming?) wouldn't affect the rigidity of the connection. Part mass independently of resources, sure... Sounds like something Squad ought to but never will address =(

I guess maybe a workaround could be something like adding negative mass in a non-connected part of the ship? Though that would be equally bizarre.

The v01 Release of the Core, Expansion and Utility packs is now live!

Check the OP for download links and instructions on upgrading current installs: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65365

Also this mod now has its own trailer! A big thanks to Darren9 for creating it :D

--------------------------------------------------

I have an idea, how about some track type wheels? those would be cool.

This was something I discussed with Lo-Fi of Kerbal Foundries a while ago, as there's a number of good robotics references for tracks, such as this: https://youtu.be/WKhWhbKRDCw

Has the vtol hinge been canned?

Not canned, but it is being re-evaluated as part of the plan to do station robotics, since its a part that pre-dates the "Model Rework" style. I'm also considering doing my own propellor-based vtol engines, as there's some cool reference material I'd like to try recreating.

Has the vtol hinge been canned?

All Legacy parts still work. If it was in the original mod, it is here too.

EDIT: oops, wrong thread :)

Edited by Ziw

Lol zodius.

Anyways, I'll download now since I crashed into terrain due to bad MJ maneuvering, reloaded from quicksave and OOM crash anyhow.

Edit: Is tweakable everything required since it's in the download and what's toadicioustools?

Edit2: Eh, I'll just look up toadicioustools, and I did put the tweakable everything in, just wondering if it's required or optional.

Edited by smjjames

Lol zodius.

Anyways, I'll download now since I crashed into terrain due to bad MJ maneuvering, reloaded from quicksave and OOM crash anyhow.

Edit: Is tweakable everything required since it's in the download and what's toadicioustools?

Edit2: Eh, I'll just look up toadicioustools, and I did put the tweakable everything in, just wondering if it's required or optional.

TT is a requirement for TE (it's basically code shared by that and AntennaRange) and since the only dll present is TweakableStaging, I'm guessing that powers the ability to un/stage the explosive struts.

TT is a requirement for TE (it's basically code shared by that and AntennaRange) and since the only dll present is TweakableStaging, I'm guessing that powers the ability to un/stage the explosive struts.

Sorry didn't see your edits smjjames. ObsessesWithKSP is correct, both of those folders are to allow the explosive struts to be added or removed from the staging area (which some people asked for when I originally did the parts). It's entirely optional but included in the download for convenience as installing the mods directly gives you way more than 2 DLL files.

This is the same reason why ActiveStruts is included, because players may not want all the extra stuff it comes with, but do want my part. I asked KospY if I could do the same with KAS, but I never heard back from him.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Do you know if work on ActiveStruts has completely stopped? Because I was getting a bunch of exceptions showing up in exception detector and while I would have reported it on the thread, I didn't know if the author was still going to do bugfixes, so, should I report exceptions that show up in exception detector, here or in the thread for activestruts?

I removed the one I got off the thread over there, so the only copy of it that I have is from your download.

I don't believe it's being worked on at the moment. You would be best to post over in that thread if you have any issues, as I'm just using the same release. The only difference with my version is the models so I wouldn't be able to assist even if you did report issues here.

I really hope someone takes the mod up again as it's extremely useful for robotics, hence the reason I challenged Marce to make it in the first place. I'd even be willing to have a simplified version that's just for Infernal Robotics if someone is willing to have a go?

I don't believe it's being worked on at the moment. You would be best to post over in that thread if you have any issues, as I'm just using the same release. The only difference with my version is the models so I wouldn't be able to assist even if you did report issues here.

I really hope someone takes the mod up again as it's extremely useful for robotics, hence the reason I challenged Marce to make it in the first place. I'd even be willing to have a simplified version that's just for Infernal Robotics if someone is willing to have a go?

I'm risking to bite more than I can chew, but I'll look into it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.