ZodiusInfuser

[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, F3l1p3 said:

Good luck, what is the theme of you thesis?

Not finalised the title yet, but it's about the creation of a novel self-reconfigurable modular robot. Have papers out about parts of it already (and a third is currently under review):
http://naturalrobotics.group.shef.ac.uk/publications/2014-iros-parrott.pdf
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1J2aqETnK52Y3ZhQ25UUFVfVGM/edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Hi, I install the mod as follows :

1.1.3 Kerbal

1 IR- 2.0.5 -Final -Full

2nd Rework_Repack_1.1.2

3rd IRSequencer -1.0 -Final

4th ModuleManager.2.6.25

I enter the game and install any part of the " infernal " robotics and install the sequencer does not work, but I sequencer icon to display the menu use

any advice or information of wisdom

Edited by SHOSET

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I appreciate all the endeavor put in this mod and it's extensions.

 

Quote

Parts just fall through the floor! This is a known issue with the collision of the parts, that was introduced with the release of KSP 1.0. This is being fixed but will take a fair amount of time.

Some people say that they fixed this issue with the latest version, but it's not the same with me can some body help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to awesome Movatons return. Alas, current rovers do really lack nice wheels. Mods that provided cool wheels are not updated yet :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

okay, so I'm always really annoyed at robotic constructions just wobbling around like crazy. I have, in part, come up with a solution for this: a secondary support which consists, for pistons and (only applies for a limited rotation) hinges, of an uncontrolled hinge, a piston, and another uncontrolled hinge, connected to the target via a strut.. the thing is, sometimes you want more than 90 degrees of rotation, but this is impossible to do right now. thus, I suggest a circular rail, which could be used as a support for such a creation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blub01 said:

okay, so I'm always really annoyed at robotic constructions just wobbling around like crazy. I have, in part, come up with a solution for this: a secondary support which consists, for pistons and (only applies for a limited rotation) hinges, of an uncontrolled hinge, a piston, and another uncontrolled hinge, connected to the target via a strut.. the thing is, sometimes you want more than 90 degrees of rotation, but this is impossible to do right now. thus, I suggest a circular rail, which could be used as a support for such a creation.

Have you tried quantum struts? They are only good for holding things stationary. But they are an IR junkies bread and butter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/08/2016 at 9:49 PM, V8jester said:

Have you tried quantum struts? They are only good for holding things stationary. But they are an IR junkies bread and butter.

the issue with that is that I want to use this for things like vtol engines rotating into a forwards position, weapons turrets, and stuff like that which you need to be able to continuously turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blub01 said:

the issue with that is that I want to use this for things like vtol engines rotating into a forwards position, weapons turrets, and stuff like that which you need to be able to continuously turn.

I use Quantum struts on things like my Osprey but only to lock the nacels in either position. Do you use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? I have noticed that lately I really don't need struts as much as I used to with IR. Not sure what changed or even when honestly but.... (still in 1.0.5 personally, for any real building)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29.8.2016 at 8:47 PM, V8jester said:

I use Quantum struts on things like my Osprey but only to lock the nacels in either position. Do you use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? I have noticed that lately I really don't need struts as much as I used to with IR. Not sure what changed or even when honestly but.... (still in 1.0.5 personally, for any real building)

idk. I think I have it installed. in any case, it would also simply look better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello I have am having a problem all my cool parts aren't there all i have is agrabatronany any of the wheel or anything could some one help me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

Just posting to say that I am aware of the 1.2 pre-release. I'm sure an updated version of IR will be made for it when Ziw and the other coders have time, but do not expect any updates to the Model Rework for now. I'm in my final week of PhD thesis writing, then have to prepare a paper and poster for a conference the in following weeks. Hoping to get back in to this mid-October but we'll see how things pan out. I have some plans of what I would like to finish up with the mod.

-Zodius

P.S. For those curious, here's the title of my thesis: "A Hybrid and Extendable Self-Reconfigurable Modular Robotic System". Currently at 140 pages, with about another 10 to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you anticipate Model Rework needing an update to work with 1.2, or will the heavy lifting be taken care of by IR proper? I'd miss the parts for those weeks but if you're just talking about adding new features I can be happy with what we have for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:00 AM, ZodiusInfuser said:

Hi All,

Just posting to say that I am aware of the 1.2 pre-release. I'm sure an updated version of IR will be made for it when Ziw and the other coders have time, but do not expect any updates to the Model Rework for now. I'm in my final week of PhD thesis writing, then have to prepare a paper and poster for a conference the in following weeks. Hoping to get back in to this mid-October but we'll see how things pan out. I have some plans of what I would like to finish up with the mod.

-Zodius

P.S. For those curious, here's the title of my thesis: "A Hybrid and Extendable Self-Reconfigurable Modular Robotic System". Currently at 140 pages, with about another 10 to go.

Is this a continuation of that self assembling robotic arm you had posted some information on a while back? That was a truly impressive bit of tech. I'm a bit late with this one but.... Good luck man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, V8jester said:

Is this a continuation of that self assembling robotic arm you had posted some information on a while back? That was a truly impressive bit of tech. I'm a bit late with this one but.... Good luck man!

Yep it is, and I'm pleased to say that it is now submitted!! \o/

23 hours ago, Tybot said:

Do you anticipate Model Rework needing an update to work with 1.2, or will the heavy lifting be taken care of by IR proper? I'd miss the parts for those weeks but if you're just talking about adding new features I can be happy with what we have for a while.

There's nothing on the part side that would need to be modified for 1.2, but a new version of IR would be required and I'm not sure what the progress on that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

There's nothing on the part side that would need to be modified for 1.2, but a new version of IR would be required and I'm not sure what the progress on that is.

I can live with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if i'm missing files but the textures of all parts in this mod is yellow with a patch of brown, as shown below

2060C45FA6FA3EE67B6A7DAC00CF464FF23B7817 (1280×1024)

However, the part still works. Should I provide a log?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering where I can find the rover wheels for this pack? Did they get taken down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, falken said:

Just wondering where I can find the rover wheels for this pack? Did they get taken down?

The wheels required KF so I believe they were taken out of the most recent download. You'll need to run it in 1.0.5 and use an older version of Rework / IR / KF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, V8jester said:

The wheels required KF so I believe they were taken out of the most recent download. You'll need to run it in 1.0.5 and use an older version of Rework / IR / KF

Partially correct. The wheels were removed from the pack because they did not work in KSP 1.1.x. It's the mecanum wheels which require KF, so were also removed.

Hoping to get a chance to look at them in the next few weeks now I have free time again. First though I want to finish off the parts I started modelling, as well as create one or two new ones based on gaps I've noticed over the past months. For example, here's a new right-angled rotatron with an offset attachment point.

1865316118

Edited by ZodiusInfuser
Updated with finalised design

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Rotatron in game. Guess I still remember how to mod:P
_a4ec8df0fd2e4cbd8a23d7d04d35e9cd

Edit: This may not be the final design, as I've just realised the large ring in the middle clips with some other parts. Also, going to give an Adaptron for the base of this arm a go, so the design may change further to remain consistent.

On 24/09/2016 at 5:54 PM, Murican_Jeb said:

I don't know if i'm missing files but the textures of all parts in this mod is yellow with a patch of brown, as shown below

No you're not missing any textures. This sometimes happens (usually if Active Texture Management is being used). It's been so long that I cannot actually remember what the fix was. Think a KSP cfg file had to be deleted, but can't for the life of me remember which one. Anyone else remember?

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2016 at 6:03 AM, Ziw said:

With @ZodiusInfuser's permission I'm proud to present a repack of latest beta release

https://mega.nz/#!rdlHkLAJ!ZizDvd8s7zCIG529FtO8b7wM0avJ8yC3pldIaf6BGFw

This pack has updated configs to accommodate for latest IR 2.x and IRS 1.x changes and has most parts from beta, except wheels and mecanums, because they need much more than just a config fix.

Also in this pack there is an experimental build of ActiveStruts, but please DON'T use the FreeAttach functionality, or it might crash your game. Use TargetAttach or StraightUp attach.

Updated version of IRSurfaceSampler plugin was kindly provided by @DMagic himself, so it should work with our surface sampler part in 1.1.2

 

EDIT: Alternate link for those who cannot use Mega

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9f5PHcywXQINzQ3UC1aLVNBZk0/view?usp=sharing

Is this the LATEST version of the Rework pack? I'm running 1.1.3 and have had a problem with the Movatrons working properly. All movatrons are uncontrollable and just bounce around.

I think I read that moveatrons were removed? Thats fine I just want the latest version. If the Movatrons were removed then why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Is this the LATEST version of the Rework pack? I'm running 1.1.3 and have had a problem with the Movatrons working properly. All movatrons are uncontrollable and just bounce around.

I think I read that moveatrons were removed? Thats fine I just want the latest version. If the Movatrons were removed then why?

Movatrons were removed because wheels were reworked in 1.1 and Zodius did not have time to fix them. That is why I removed them from the repack. We should be able to fix the wheels in 1.2, please be patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ziw said:

Movatrons were removed because wheels were reworked in 1.1 and Zodius did not have time to fix them. That is why I removed them from the repack. We should be able to fix the wheels in 1.2, please be patient.

Ok! I didn't know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just installed the Model Rework Mod last week after using IR for several months with few/no issues. 

I am playing with the ISS Kanadarm [https://kerbalx.com/KSpaceAcademy/KSA-K-ISS-Kanadarm-Edition] and I found some serious issues which I assume other's have solved or not encountered due to the craft's popularity. 

Namely: The Utilitron - Grabber part cannot magnetically grab the craft it is attached to, and the mounting point for the arm (which is a Docking Port Jr attached to a Gantry Rail) is failing at the juncture of the docking port and the gantry rail whenever the arm is extended or stress is put on it. 

 

I wonder if anyone else has used this craft, and perhaps this issue is an artifact of the craft, not of the IR Rework parts. I would like to ultimately build a comparable Kanadarm onto my own ISS, but I'd like to be sure that the parts connections, both at the mount and the magnet/grabber are stiff enough to work as intended. Ideally, I would be able to "inch-worm" around my station by remounting the arm while it is grabbed onto another part of the same station. 

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.