[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

If you notice, all the texture paths are to the same file. I forget where I saw this method, but I'm using it to override the texture in each directory to save memory. If anyone knows of a better way to do this then please let me know.
Actually I didn't notice, I can overcome the bad habit of grabbing individual folders from .zips and chucking them anywhere if it saves memory :) I'm looking forward to the joints that match the parts, thanks.

Actually I didn't notice, I can overcome the bad habit of grabbing individual folders from .zips and chucking them anywhere if it saves memory :) I'm looking forward to the joints that match the parts, thanks.

There is another method I can go for, which doesn't need explicit directories, but then all parts need to be in the same folder. At the moment I'm not sure I want to do that, but it could be an option in the future.

Btw, I've just uploaded revision 02. This moves the main texture out of the IR_Structural_TrussLarge_1m25 folder, so people can freely delete the parts they don't want. Not necessary to redownload if you've got the parts already though.

Edit: Updated first post with download, and better preview images

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

If you notice, all the texture paths are to the same file. I forget where I saw this method, but I'm using it to override the texture in each directory to save memory. If anyone knows of a better way to do this then please let me know.

I use a similar method now. What I do is place all the models and their associated texture files (just one or two shared texture files, if I've planned properly) in their own /Models directory, then I have all the part configs in their own directories. It puts all my meshes and base textures in a centralized place, making it easy to call them using MODEL{} nodes, while still letting me split up the config files so people can easily delete parts they don't want (or retexture them).

There was some discussion on why I did it this way when I first started, but I haven't heard any complaints since then.

RoboTruss and RoboTube style/size docking adapters would be useful to allow us to assemble things far from home.

Also, is it possible to release the untextured/solid colored, but functional parts as well? They still look better with the RoboTubes and RoboTrusses, and I won't have to worry about ship ceasing to function due to model changes when this is finished.

There is another method I can go for, which doesn't need explicit directories, but then all parts need to be in the same folder. At the moment I'm not sure I want to do that, but it could be an option in the future.

I keep all my parts in a single folder if they share a texture. Why are you reluctant?

RoboTruss and RoboTube style/size docking adapters would be useful to allow us to assemble things far from home.
Also, is it possible to release the untextured/solid colored, but functional parts as well? They still look better with the RoboTubes and RoboTrusses, and I won't have to worry about ship ceasing to function due to model changes when this is finished.

I'm looking at getting untextured joints out for people to test functionality; however, I can't guarantee that ship compatability won't be broken when updates are made. The only definite time that won't be the case is when the parts appear in the official IR download.

--------------------------------------------------

I keep all my parts in a single folder if they share a texture. Why are you reluctant?

Well with me likely changing things about, having a part per folder makes it easier for me to manage things. I will give it another thought though, and maybe change it for when the joints are pre-released.

Does the download here contain a complete mod, or do I need IR for it to work?

At the moment this is just structural parts, so IR is not needed for them to be used.

Do you plan to release the hinge parts and the stack fairings soon? :) Kinda awkward to use these amazing structural parts with the stock hinges and trusses

Since people are keen on playing with the hinge parts (even in their current untextured state), I will be looking at getting them out fairly soon. This allows you lot to have fun, but also gives me the opportunity to gain feedback about functionality, or lack thereof, without potentially wasting time on texturing. The other parts will be done when I'm happy with them, which could take quite a while in between work and what not.

Great idea! For now though you could use the 0.625m adapter on either the larger truss or tube and have the Clamp-o-tron Jr on there.

Just a quick teaser at what I'll be getting in-game over the coming week :D

_5bdcf4bb72ec41dc8bae6adead36d2ff

Yes I know it's a lot of parts, but by using Goodspeed's TweakScale plugin at least there won't be 3x the amount \o/. I'm waiting to hear back from Gaius about a few extra parameters I need in order for this to fully work though, mainly reducing the number of scale sizes allowed

Btw, the purple markers are what define the "base" part, so hopefully that should reduce the number of times people place parts on the wrong way around. Final colour TBD

Edited by ZodiusInfuser
Extra titbit

After actually using the structural parts, a little wish list:

* More diameter choices, please. It doesn't have to go from .625m to 5m, but a more thorough line of structural parts would be just great. Currently, attaching the Gigantor solar panels looks odd due to z fighting (flipside: The Gigantor bases look like they were fused together, giving a more integrated look. YMMV.). That said, the amount of lengths feels spot on, especially with the available adapters. But I feel a lack of 'station size' parts.

* Some ready-to-slap-on-your-rocket-or-SSTO subassemblies would be nice, too. Things like ramps, fold-out rovers and solar panels, &c. Those could serve as a quick showcase for the whole robotics mod, too.

* Naming of the square and round pieces, especially the adapters, isn't wholly intuitive. Don't make me think, darn it. ;)

I <3 this.

P.S.: I don't know how, but you've managed to make the IR hinges, rotatrons, &c. stand out far less already. Very nice.

After actually using the structural parts, a little wish list:

* More diameter choices, please. It doesn't have to go from .625m to 5m, but a more thorough line of structural parts would be just great. Currently, attaching the Gigantor solar panels looks odd due to z fighting (flipside: The Gigantor bases look like they were fused together, giving a more integrated look. YMMV.). That said, the amount of lengths feels spot on, especially with the available adapters. But I feel a lack of 'station size' parts.

I am planning to make trusses in 1.25m and 2.5m sizes. These will be more for storing smaller assemblies inside of, rather than for making massive arms. Here's my current progress on some 1.25m versions:

_224521aacd854013b68ee6b1a1714da8

The parts on the right are adapters that allow either 2, 3 or 4, RoboTruss Pro sized parts (or their matching joints) to fit in and fold up along the truss length.

* Some ready-to-slap-on-your-rocket-or-SSTO subassemblies would be nice, too. Things like ramps, fold-out rovers and solar panels, &c. Those could serve as a quick showcase for the whole robotics mod, too.
When the time comes I plan to demonstrate the full capabilities of the parts. For now though, I'm eager to see what people can come up with :wink:
* Naming of the square and round pieces, especially the adapters, isn't wholly intuitive. Don't make me think, darn it. ;)

I was torn between having cool Kerbalish names, representing how MSI would actually brand their parts, or more boring yet descriptive names. I chose the former :P. I agree the adapter names aren't that intuitive, however it didn't look right including the full names of what they adapt.

Just a quick teaser at what I'll be getting in-game over the coming week :D

https://www.cubby.com/pl/IR_All_Rotatrons.png/_5bdcf4bb72ec41dc8bae6adead36d2ff

Yes I know it's a lot of parts, but by using Goodspeed's TweakScale plugin at least there won't be 3x the amount \o/. I'm waiting to hear back from Gaius about a few extra parameters I need in order for this to fully work though, mainly reducing the number of scale sizes allowed

Btw, the purple markers are what define the "base" part, so hopefully that should reduce the number of times people place parts on the wrong way around. Final colour TBD

Thank you for the markers, its helps alot. It gets frustrating remembering what side the hinge operates on

Thank you for the markers, its helps alot. It gets frustrating remembering what side the hinge operates on

No problem :). It's annoying that KSP has this limitation so the best I can do is work around it. Also with these designs it's not entirely obvious which side is which, more so than the old parts that's for sure.

I am planning to make trusses in 1.25m and 2.5m sizes. These will be more for storing smaller assemblies inside of, rather than for making massive arms. Here's my current progress on some 1.25m versions:

The parts on the right are adapters that allow either 2, 3 or 4, RoboTruss Pro sized parts (or their matching joints) to fit in and fold up along the truss length.

Throw in some 45deg and 90deg angles, and I'll be a happy camper. :)

When the time comes I plan to demonstrate the full capabilities of the parts. For now though, I'm eager to see what people can come up with :wink:

Like so? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4294562/%5BMSI%5D%20Drop%20Ramp.craft (Stock, plus structural rework, and IR, obviously)

Throw in some 45deg and 90deg angles, and I'll be a happy camper. :)

So some structural bends? If you could show me what you'd plan to use such parts for, that would help a lot.

Like so? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4294562/%5BMSI%5D%20Drop%20Ramp.craft (Stock, plus structural rework, and IR, obviously)

Of all the things I've anticipated with this mod, the thought of having ramps never crossed my mind :blush:. I notice you use the 90 degree rotated hinge. I should probably add a part like that to my list.

There are currently two parts named RoboTruss Pro - 1.25m - both ARE RoboTruss Pros, but one is double the length of the other.

Thanks for spotting this :D

New Version Out! (revision 03)

Changelog:

(revision 03)
- The 2.5m RoboTruss Pro now has the correct length in its name
- Renamed the RoboDapters to be less criptic about what parts they bridge between

Don't ask... Even the engineers have no idea what this thing is meant to be :P

_f3ff76c2523b479facdbde835a52fc6d

They're just parts at the moment. It will take me some time to make them all nice and robotic.

Definitely add a 90 degree hinge. I use them all the time for probes and satellites. It was one of the things I wished damned robotics parts had.

I had designed a specific 90 degree hinge, but it only rotated 90 degrees up to vertical. SchildConstruct's craft showed that the full 180 is still of use for certain applications.

Brilliant! Also glad to hear the GoodSpeed TweakScale plugin will work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.