Jump to content

[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)


ZodiusInfuser
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, whale_2 said:

@kcs123, sorry, I was not clear enough - it requires patch to the C# code and recompile to my best knowledge, or "mod for the mod" - another C# code that would manipulate data within IR internals - not the best solution, actually. I'm not aware of any way to make it via MM-patch.

It's OK, at least your answer have pointed me in right direction. "mod for the mod" or plugin patch would create even more mess with IR than currently is. It's better to send PR on github for plugin code for new feature or create issue/request there. Probably later option for me, as I'm not of much use regarding C#, but if I found enough free time it could be good excuse to learn a bit more of C# and KSP APIs in that regard.

Thanks for answer, you have save me a lot of time in attempt to search for reasonable solution. One step closer to it at least, regardless of being long trip to get there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3-6-2017 at 12:19 AM, WereCat said:

Yes, i went into GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries\Parts and from there went to all the individual parts and opened the config files named "part" then replaced this:

category = none

with

category = Utility

With the right tool (Notepad++) it doesn't take more than 5 minutes.

You open all the configs with Notepad++, go to the "Search" bar then "Replace..." option, then in the Find what field put "none" and in the Replace with field put "Utility" or whatever category you would like it to be in, then click Replace All in All Opened Documents, and its done.

is it possible that you can upload your magic smoke industries folder so i can download it because i did every step that you and another person in this forum told me to but it still wont work, i cant get the rework parts to show up except in the tech levels.

so if you could just copy and upload it, i would really apreciate it

thank you in advance, itzzkrempel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LEO ZX said:

Utilitron grabber and uutilitron sampler not working. Im using 1.2.2 and module manager 2.5.6 ..

It will be hard to help you with that. You will need also older version of IR, but can't tell from top of my head exact order of installs to make it work. Grabber and sampler were broken in one version of IR in the past and repaired later on, but I can't recall details.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd show off some new Utility parts I've been doing to get back in to the swing of things. The first is a locking mechanism for whale_2's mod (which you should check out here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/169614-anyone-care-to-make-some-simple-models/). The second is an IR-themed Docking Port Jr because I remembered you could reference multiple models from a single part (usual caveats with docking ports and IR apply).

Utilitron - Lock

f9b66Ya.png

jBHK3g7.png

Utilitron - Dock

Ke2hCxi.png

noWrFSd.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great to see you're back in the swing of IR @ZodiusInfuser ! The new parts look awesome.

I just wanted to confirm that the current Ckan downloads for KSP 1.3+ (InfernalRobotics v2.0.14 and InfernalRobotics-LegacyParts v2.0.5) don't include any rework parts yet? I'm only getting the old old legacy in my game just yet, and I can't see any other Infernal Robotics options in the ckan library, unless they've been listed under some other name? I'll probably hold off manual installs until a ckan option is out.

 

Elegant + beautiful mod, great to see it's still being maintained! o7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BlackTeacup said:

Great to see you're back in the swing of IR @ZodiusInfuser ! The new parts look awesome.

I just wanted to confirm that the current Ckan downloads for KSP 1.3+ (InfernalRobotics v2.0.14 and InfernalRobotics-LegacyParts v2.0.5) don't include any rework parts yet? I'm only getting the old old legacy in my game just yet, and I can't see any other Infernal Robotics options in the ckan library, unless they've been listed under some other name? I'll probably hold off manual installs until a ckan option is out.

 

Elegant + beautiful mod, great to see it's still being maintained! o7

CKAN only offer download of legacy parts from old archive, because few last of IR plugin releases only include core plugin without parts. Zodiusinfuser parts were in BETA stage for a long time and not being ready for release, therefore not covered by CKAN. However, things are moving recently due to activities of several developers.

Until recently, few of us have maintained a step by step guide how to install everything manually from several downloaded sources. Zodiusinfuser have created all in one archive with most up to date files and few new parts that were never published yet. You can find that archive here:

There is more news. New "IR next plugin" code is under development and testing that could solve some issues with IR parts that were being around for some time, plus some new features that was not possible before:

Besides that, whale_2 develop new independent mod that allow collision of two parts of same craft plus ability to lock position of desired pieces of craft (those new parts from Zodiusinfuser on post above). Locking certain parts of craft make a great workaround for driftting bug issue with IR parts under time warp or when you switch/reload flight scene. For example if you leave IR Candarm in "working" position and leave scene or use time warp, there is chance that IR parts would visualy drift appart. On the other hand, if you "park" IR parts and lock them with ability of new mod and new parts, such "drift" would not happen.

When all of those new exciting is finished it would be more sense to put them on CKAN. Until then, be patient and install all stuff manually.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I'm looking at getting the wheels working in-game again (using KSPWheel), and having some success:

3WN5UBQ.png

I have a question regarding the more interesting (to me anyway) mecanum wheels. KSPWheel supports mirroring to get the Left and Right versions like the old KerbalFoundries mod did, but unfortunately implements it in a different way that, although makes more sense, causes IR to NullRef every time you try interacting with the mirrored version. This is unlikely to be fixed by either mod, so...

Would people be okay with the Left and Right version of the mecanum wheels being separate parts?

  • Pros: Lets you more easily choose which version you want without the mirrored and un-mirrored one always being the opposite.
  • Cons: Have to place each one individually with snapping to have them aligned, or attached to a part that has been placed in symmetry.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you tried those wheels with FAR installed ? For some reason it seems that FAR fix some of symmetry issues.
I have created rover with KSP 1.2.x when FAR was not being updated for long time and IR was also not being actively maintained.
The result was that I was placing IR parts and wheels without symetry, not only due to symmetry issues but also to avoid autostrut issues too.

Link to workaround gallery for autostrut issue.

xyatv59.jpg

However, loading that rover in KSP 1.3.1. game with FAR resulted in wheels turning in oposite direction. This is reason why I think that FAR somehow fix symmetry, but I don't know how.

Having different parts for wheels would not be much of trouble for me, but it would be nice to have attachment node on those wheels, to have ability for more precise attachment if those are not placed in symmetry. Otherwise it can produce uneven forces and lead to have craft that always turn left or right despite how much you want to go in straight line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

However, loading that rover in KSP 1.3.1. game with FAR resulted in wheels turning in oposite direction. This is reason why I think that FAR somehow fix symmetry, but I don't know how.

Having different parts for wheels would not be much of trouble for me, but it would be nice to have attachment node on those wheels, to have ability for more precise attachment if those are not placed in symmetry. Otherwise it can produce uneven forces and lead to have craft that always turn left or right despite how much you want to go in straight line.

The issue is that there are clockwise and counter-clockwise versions of mecanum wheels (think like left and right shoes). KSP symmetry doesn't actually mirror the geometry, merely rotates it to the mirrored position, so I'm not sure if that's what FAR fixed (and even then, would IR be happy?). Maybe a good middle-ground would be if there was a mod that could swap one part on your craft for another one. That way you could put clockwise wheels on in symmetry then switch the others and break the symmetry. I'm not aware of such a mod existing though...

You make a valid point about attachment node, and IIRC they already have one on for that very reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

The issue is that there are clockwise and counter-clockwise versions of mecanum wheels (think like left and right shoes). KSP symmetry doesn't actually mirror the geometry, merely rotates it to the mirrored position, so I'm not sure if that's what FAR fixed (and even then, would IR be happy?). Maybe a good middle-ground would be if there was a mod that could swap one part on your craft for another one. That way you could put clockwise wheels on in symmetry then switch the others and break the symmetry. I'm not aware of such a mod existing though...

You make a valid point about attachment node, and IIRC they already have one on for that very reason.

Not sure if it's what WBI does, but I seem to remember something interesting happening with WBI's Buffalo VTOL/Osprey-style propellers when they're placed in symmetry - there was a toggle (I think) where you could set them as the left vs. right versions. However, maybe that was just cosmetic... perhaps worth looking at? Sorry, I don't have any clue how it actually works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Not sure if it's what WBI does, but I seem to remember something interesting happening with WBI's Buffalo VTOL/Osprey-style propellers when they're placed in symmetry - there was a toggle (I think) where you could set them as the left vs. right versions. However, maybe that was just cosmetic... perhaps worth looking at? Sorry, I don't have any clue how it actually works.

I'll have to look at that, could be interesting for the IR propeller parts as it bugs me they are all left versions :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

I'll have to look at that, could be interesting for the IR propeller parts as it bugs me they are all left versions :P

I think that it use either, firespitter, B9PartSwitch or similar plugin that allow switching textures/meshes. However, either one you want to use have to be supported trough IR plugin. I'm not sure if it can be handled only trough part config file / MM patch file.

It might be useful not only for wheels and engines, but for other similar part as well. Downside is that it is one more mod dependency for everything to work properly.
Have yet to inspect B9PartSwitch for myself to be able to tell how exactly to use it.

EDIT:

It seems that only MM part config data is required to use it. At least from documentation, have yet to diggest how to apply that on IR parts.

 

 

Edited by kcs123
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/02/2018 at 6:05 PM, kcs123 said:

I think that it use either, firespitter, B9PartSwitch or similar plugin that allow switching textures/meshes. However, either one you want to use have to be supported trough IR plugin. I'm not sure if it can be handled only trough part config file / MM patch file.

Thanks for the info. After discussion with Shadowmage, using IR to drive the mecanums is not the best idea with KSP's latest physics. As such I've been trying out a purely KSPWheel solution that is proving to be quite promising, and would let me use mirroring again if I wanted. Plus, things like the propellers don't use IR either so mirroring shouldn't be an issue there either.

Here's what the wheels are like so far (much to tweak still, plus model changes and code support for the rollers needed):

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeing as I've been in to the whole omni/mecanum wheel thing, I felt that the lineup could do with expanding:

0tBLj8i.png

The far left and far right ones I modelled this weekend, and took me way too long! Who would have thought making geometrically accurate omni wheels that aren't super high-poly would be difficult :P . For a sense of scale, the largest one is 2.3m in diameter. Still have the suspension system for each to model, but hoping I can reuse some designs I had in the past.

 

 

Edited by ZodiusInfuser
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SiglakS said:

Ok I see your progression in this mod and is it possible to have the link to download because i will repost it on kerbalx.com.

 

Thanks for this dream mod

Welcome to forums. For download link check posts on this page. Latest parts shown (wheels) are not yet included though. Also, there is new version of IR plugin under development, so it would not be wise to spread links on kerbalx.com until those few missing things are finished. Might become obsolete very soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Welcome to forums. For download link check posts on this page. Latest parts shown (wheels) are not yet included though. Also, there is new version of IR plugin under development, so it would not be wise to spread links on kerbalx.com until those few missing things are finished. Might become obsolete very soon.

Thanks Dude !

I understand you are working in progress. I'll download the mod from the latest link but, can I "spread" the latest link on kerbalx.com ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SiglakS said:

Thanks Dude !

I understand you are working in progress. I'll download the mod from the latest link but, can I "spread" the latest link on kerbalx.com ?

Nothing stops you to spread link, but I would recommend to rather put link on form post with all other info than direct link for download. With KSP 1.4. coming next week things could be changed a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kcs123 said:

Nothing stops you to spread link, but I would recommend to rather put link on form post with all other info than direct link for download. With KSP 1.4. coming next week things could be changed a lot.

This. Don't spread the direct link. If you must share something then share the forum post for the link instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...