SSTM&B (Single Stage To Mun and Back)

SSTM&B (Single Stage To Mun and Back)

Introduction

Having lost his keys, Jeb thoroughly searched the whole spaceport but still couldn't find them. The only possible explanation was that they were left on Mun during his last mission. Unfortunately under their precarious financial situation his superiors weren't overly inclined to launch another humongous asparagus rocket to allow him to get them back. But Jeb had an idea: to modify an older spaceplane so it could carry him to mun and back. This had to be carried out in secret though and if any part was damaged or lost, he would be immediately found out and get no snacks for a whole week.

Objective

The goal of this challenge is pretty straightforward: to land a manned single stage craft on Mun and return to Kerbin.

Rules

No modded engines or fuel tanks.

Command seat cannot be used.

Except the above, any building method can be used (e.g. clipping is ok).

The craft must land on Kerbin in the exact same state it left (i.e. no landing accidents).

No refuelling allowed.

Scoring

+ 500 for every 60 mins below 18 hours

+ 50 for every part below 100

- fuel expended (full capacity of the craft minus fuel remaining after landing on Kerbin)

+ 0.1 multiplier for every kerbal above one

Additional challenges

Stargate: Fly/drive through a mun arch, +1000

Back in time for dinner Land at KSP under 18h, +1000

Leaderboard:

1st: RandomJeb 5414.23

2nd: theend3r 3386

3rd: Jasonden -4340 :D

Edited by theend3r

I wanted to see if it was possible to build a pure ROCKET SSTM&B, no jet engines. I think that it may not be possible on chemical propulsion alone -- I couldn't get it anyway. But here's a version using a couple of nukes that did the trick. However with 48 Rockomax 24-7S's, I won't be competing on part count! And with rockets, I won't be competitive on fuel either. Time was 14:37, so 1500 points there, +1000 bonus. None for the parts. And then 6840 units of fuel leaves me at -4340.

But I made it on rockets alone! :cool:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I wanted to see if it was possible to build a pure ROCKET SSTM&B, no jet engines. I think that it may not be possible on chemical propulsion alone -- I couldn't get it anyway. But here's a version using a couple of nukes that did the trick. However with 48 Rockomax 24-7S's, I won't be competing on part count! And with rockets, I won't be competitive on fuel either. Time was 14:37, so 1500 points there, +1000 bonus. None for the parts. And then 6840 units of fuel leaves me at -4340.

But I made it on rockets alone! :cool:

That's maybe worthy of its own challenge :D

Never tried it but it should be possible to get to orbit using only LV-N provided you have enough lift.

I wanted to see if it was possible to build a pure ROCKET SSTM&B, no jet engines. I think that it may not be possible on chemical propulsion alone -- I couldn't get it anyway.

Nice. I got a rocket-only SSTM&B to work many months ago, but I can't remember having seen anyone else pull it off since then. Without an LV-N or jet or ion engine I don't think it's possible, as the most dV you can get while still having TWR = 1 is 6746 m/s vacuum with a 48-7S, or 6405 m/s atmospheric with an aerospike.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Nice. I got a rocket-only SSTM&B to work many months ago, but I can't remember having seen anyone else pull it off since then. Without an LV-N or jet or ion engine I don't think it's possible, as the most dV you can get while still having TWR = 1 is 6746 m/s vacuum with a 48-7S, or 6405 m/s atmospheric with an aerospike.

Woah I hadn't thought of using SRB's -- sweet idea!

Woah I hadn't thought of using SRB's -- sweet idea!

They provide a nice TWR boost early on, and they weigh very little when empty. Though with the current performance of the 48-7S there are not as many situations where SRB's give better performance per unit mass as there used to be. Might help on part count though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.