[WIP][0.90?] PlanetFactory CE

Kragrathea

I brought Planet Factory back using Kopernicus. I'm assuming it's OK for me to use the same title and remove the "Revived" label?

You brought back the Planet Factory planets, you didn't do anything involving Planet Factory itself.

I brought Planet Factory back using Kopernicus. I'm assuming it's OK for me to use the same title and remove the "Revived" label?

Kinda uncool. As noted, what you brought back was configs not planet factory.

Creator of the successor of one of KSP's most popular mods, Planet Factory, available for download on Curse.

And that is one heck of a misleading tagline.

Why the hate? It's not against the rules, and it is in essence, Planet Factory as it:

1. Creates planets and stars with custom terrain

2. Gobbles your RAM like a Chihuahua on sugar buzz

3. Will have a tutorial on how to make your own planets and expansion packs, shortly.

Why the hate? It's not against the rules, and it is in essence, Planet Factory as it:

3. Will have a tutorial on how to make your own planets and expansion packs, shortly.

This big problem here is that you did in no way create a mod. Planet Factory was an actual mod that actually took knowledge and skill to create. It wasn't just a bundle of configs taken from work done already by others. So in essence you are trying to take credit for someone elses work. Also you moving the mod to Curse shows that you are wanting to make money off hype around the plugin called "Planet Factory". People will be mislead into thinking it is the original Planet Factory and will download it and curse pays modders for their projects that are heavily downloaded.

PS. To anyone else not trying to derail this thread. Just am getting tired of seeing this guy post on every single persons extra planet/systems/stars mods saying that he has recreated Planet Factory as an updated mod for 0.90 and now has moved from KerbalStuff to Curse in order to make money off of this as well.

Yes, but you didn't actually develop anything new. You recreated something very popular (though dead) and are using its name to gain fame for what you have done.

This is based off my understanding of copyright law, which I admit has many holes in it, so somebody correct me if this is wrong:

Say I release a series of word processing program and call it "Office Redesigned." That would probably be ok. I've created my own title that clearly states that this is not the original Microsoft Office.

However, if I just call my set of programs "Microsoft Office," there would be problems. Even if Microsoft hasn't released a new version of Office in over a year and hasn't announced a new version yet, It is still copyright infringement. Office is a copyright (and trademark) of Microsoft. I have essentially used their name to gain fame for myself, which is illegal.

Now, if I were to get permission from Microsoft to do what I did, I would be all right. The same thing applies here. If you get permission from Krag, you'll be all right. But since you don't have permission, you cannot use the name.

This big problem here is that you did in no way create a mod. Planet Factory was an actual mod that actually took knowledge and skill to create. It wasn't just a bundle of configs taken from work done already by others. So in essence you are trying to take credit for someone elses work. Also you moving the mod to Curse shows that you are wanting to make money off hype around the plugin called "Planet Factory". People will be mislead into thinking it is the original Planet Factory and will download it and curse pays modders for their projects that are heavily downloaded.

PS. To anyone else not trying to derail this thread. Just am getting tired of seeing this guy post on every single persons extra planet/systems/stars mods saying that he has recreated Planet Factory as an updated mod for 0.90 and now has moved from KerbalStuff to Curse in order to make money off of this as well.

And what this guy said is also correct. You didn't actually "recreate" Planet Factory. You just rewrote the Planet Factory configs for different planet creation mods.

Yeah, don't use PlanetFactory in the name. It apparently doesn't use the PF code and it will just confuse Kerbals.

Besides, as I have said before, this version still works. And I am working on a few bug fixes and should have a fully 0.90 compatible version soon.

Krag

Need some quick testing before I officially release this version. It should work in 0.90 including Career mode. Give it a try and let me know if you find any problems:

http://1drv.ms/1y3qwf9

KNOWN BUGS:

-New planets show up all black in the Science archives.

-Using the Ultra-Timewarp can cause your ship to explode. To avoid this make sure you save/load after leaving Kerbal orbit.

Krag

Looks like PF messes with OpenGL in some unexplained ways - the screen is black, except lower left corner (If you autoload a save, you can enter buildings, but the screen is still black).

DX11 works, but it messes up with Ringle's rings texture.

Please look up into OpenGL issue, since it's basically the only way to use PF with mods (it eats up almost a GIGABYTE of RAM in DX9 mode with all systems enabled)

Works fine on OpenGL for me. I noticed some bugs with the rings on Sentar though. They kinda glow green a bit but the texture is blue. Almost like they have some sort of atmosphere on them? Also I noticed that Astronomer's Interstellar config for Planet Factory does not work. One last thing, will there be science on these planets?

Glad this is getting some much needed attention. Might I suggest adding support for CKAN? It's pretty easy and allows people to browse and manage mods a hell of a lot easier than otherwise would be. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100067-The-Comprehensive-Kerbal-Archive-Network-(CKAN)-Package-Manager

Few answers:

-Science works as far as I can tell

-I did some memory optimization. Sentar now takes up 250m. Using OpenGL mode saves another 100k or so. I am going to see if I can get it working with the Active Texture Management plugin.

-I don't remember why Eve didn't work. I think it has a weird PQS setup.

-CKAN. Will do.

Krag

Few answers:

-Science works as far as I can tell

-I did some memory optimization. Sentar now takes up 250m. Using OpenGL mode saves another 100k or so. I am going to see if I can get it working with the Active Texture Management plugin.

-I don't remember why Eve didn't work. I think it has a weird PQS setup.

-CKAN. Will do.

Krag

Awesome with the science and optimizations! Is the weird PQS setup part of PF or EVE? Because the EVE configs worked with the Sentar planets in the old version.

EDIT: I tested more with the beta release and the rings look really dark in flight. Is there a way to brighten them up a bit?

Edited by tygoo7

Hello

I tested the last version with ActiveTextuteManagement and instead of Plantar having a weird looking surface (some kind of icon like texture) all other bodies looking right. Want to take a look into how it plays with EVE later, too.

I had some problems with the stock contracts "explore xyz" (the contracts that never expire). They always vanish when changing to tracking station and back. There is a similar problem with the Kopernicus plugin. Stock contracts seem to have a problem with the reference body and its copy in this case. There is always an entry in the KSP log.

[EXC 06:00:44.757] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
System.Collections.Generic.List`1[CelestialBody].get_Item (Int32 index)
Contracts.Parameters.EnterOrbit.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
Contracts.ContractParameter.Load (.ConfigNode node)
Contracts.Contract.Load (Contracts.Contract contract, .ConfigNode node)
Contracts.ContractSystem.LoadContract (.ConfigNode cNode)
Contracts.ContractSystem+.MoveNext ()

For the missing texture problem here is an entry out of the PlanetFactory log.

Texture E:/Kerbal Space Program090 test/GameData/PlanetFactory/PluginData/PlanetFactory/Plantar_rim.png not found. Using defaultTexture

Edit:

In case of memory saving isn´t it possible to deactivate the editor part and unload stuff when you only want to play and not to edit? Or split the editor from the planet loader.

Edited by Dante Montana

So can someone tell me if this works with active texture management? Because it's in the plugin folder so I don't think it see's it from the game data folder so it doesn't touch it?? I'm not sure but any answer would be great

Edited by pilot410

Many thanks for the update! :) Science archive is (technically) working now... Even rings are now customizable...:D

By the way, will the official release support custom science multiplier for planets?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about (since it looks like that it's been a while since you play KSP), here's a wiki that explains it. It basically just adjusts the amount of science points gained for each planets.

Here is how I added it to the January code (in a somewhat hacky way): A commit on Github

Here is the way of how it will be configured:

ScienceValues
{
LandedDataValue = 21
SplashedDataValue = 21
FlyingLowDataValue = 20
FlyingHighDataValue = 20
InSpaceLowDataValue = 19
InSpaceHighDataValue = 19
RecoveryValue = 16
flyingAltitudeThreshold = 8000
spaceAltitudeThreshold = 16000
}

I think it will be a great addition to the (science) gameplay if you add the feature to the official release.

Thanks once again! :)

Hello

I tested the last version with ActiveTextuteManagement and instead of Plantar having a weird looking surface (some kind of icon like texture) all other bodies looking right. Want to take a look into how it plays with EVE later, too.

I had some problems with the stock contracts "explore xyz" (the contracts that never expire). They always vanish when changing to tracking station and back. There is a similar problem with the Kopernicus plugin. Stock contracts seem to have a problem with the reference body and its copy in this case. There is always an entry in the KSP log.

[EXC 06:00:44.757] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
System.Collections.Generic.List`1[CelestialBody].get_Item (Int32 index)
Contracts.Parameters.EnterOrbit.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
Contracts.ContractParameter.Load (.ConfigNode node)
Contracts.Contract.Load (Contracts.Contract contract, .ConfigNode node)
Contracts.ContractSystem.LoadContract (.ConfigNode cNode)
Contracts.ContractSystem+.MoveNext ()

For the missing texture problem here is an entry out of the PlanetFactory log.

Texture E:/Kerbal Space Program090 test/GameData/PlanetFactory/PluginData/PlanetFactory/Plantar_rim.png not found. Using defaultTexture

Edit:

In case of memory saving isn´t it possible to deactivate the editor part and unload stuff when you only want to play and not to edit? Or split the editor from the planet loader.

Now thats what I call a bug report! Thanks Dante. I should be able to figure (if not fix) the contract issue now.

That missing texture error is normal. Are you sure that Plantar is indeed messed up? It is meant as an extreme example planet and has a surface that resembles an icon.

Krag

So can someone tell me if this works with active texture management? Because it's in the plugin folder so I don't think it see's it from the game data folder so it doesn't touch it?? I'm not sure but any answer would be great

Right. ATM doesn´t touch PF.

That missing texture error is normal. Are you sure that Plantar is indeed messed up? It is meant as an extreme example planet and has a surface that resembles an icon.

Krag

Ah okay. Then all planets look like they should.

As wrote above ATM doesn´t harm PF. The folder structure is indeed different from what other mods look like. But in this case I´m not a modder. I Have to take a look into the log if I find a suitable entry.

Many thanks for the update! :) Science archive is (technically) working now... Even rings are now customizable...:D

By the way, will the official release support custom science multiplier for planets?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about (since it looks like that it's been a while since you play KSP), here's a wiki that explains it. It basically just adjusts the amount of science points gained for each planets.

Here is how I added it to the January code (in a somewhat hacky way): A commit on Github

Here is the way of how it will be configured:

ScienceValues
{
LandedDataValue = 21
SplashedDataValue = 21
FlyingLowDataValue = 20
FlyingHighDataValue = 20
InSpaceLowDataValue = 19
InSpaceHighDataValue = 19
RecoveryValue = 16
flyingAltitudeThreshold = 8000
spaceAltitudeThreshold = 16000
}

I think it will be a great addition to the (science) gameplay if you add the feature to the official release.

Thanks once again! :)

I too would like science multipliers to be added! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.