[WIP][0.90?] PlanetFactory CE

Kragrathea

How do you import planets from SE?

Also, I wanted to make the entire solar system last night :P

I just worked whole day and added all planets and moons from Jupiter to Pluto :)

I found orbit, moons, gravity, mass, radius and map info at wikipedia

I didn't import them from space engine :)

Edited by Gigi10012

How difficult is it to use? I'm pretty nooby when it comes to modding and can't speak any code languages, but I can learn simple procedures like basic CFG editing and modding on games without good support (the early days of MineCraft, Prison Architect and many alpha games) so I'm not completely dumb. Could someone of my ability use such a plugin?

Very nice :D, I look forward to community planet packs! Do you have any plans for custom oceans (Textures, texture scaling, Waves?) , and behaviours (Like a .dll with a monobehavour that is loaded onto the planet)? possibly even PQSCitys, but we have kerbtown for that.

Also, what is the permission system for "distributing" planet systems?

If your new system isn't working you probably missed something while renaming the files or in the CFG files. Look in the log window for hints.

As far as a textured planet goes look at Barney, Slade, Planetar and Moonar. All use simple textures I got out of SE. NOTE the only texture format that will work is PNG. No jpgs.

When exporting from SE use 2048 as the size. The only textures needed are surface_bump and surface_diff. They should be converted to png and then renamed <planetname>_height and <planetname>_color respectively. The rest are generated when you export from PF.

You can distribute your updated system by just zipping the directory and write some install instructions on where to unzip it in PF.

8gig is more than enough. I only have 4.

Krag

I want to add a kerbin like planet from SE but when i export the textures they are all black and or white and only Selena planets work with texture exporting should they be TGA then converted to png?

Also i did a test copy Barney's config an change template from Tylo to kerbin in map view it looks ok then in flight its a bluish white layered void with no surface is there anyway i can fix it?

Kerbin won't work as a template currently. Too complicated. Same with Laythe, although I got Erin to work (barely). I don't remember if I ever got Eve to work or not.

is it the water that messes everything up?

also, would an asteroid belt be concievable with this? or that require unkerbal amounts of ram?

Edited by th3shameless

So I made a small asteroid with only 100 meter radius but still 1g of surface gravity in orbit around Kerbin:

mpZIY8E.png

iiw4rMX.png

Using RealSolarSystem along with this mod works pretty well, and with the RSS config file being a bit more straightforward in changing physical parameters for a body, you can build pretty much anything.

Edited by metaphor

I have a bug that stops me from playing.

If i load any of the in-built systems, it works find. But if i try to load my own system, nothing but the vanilla stuff loads.

Help please, i have wanted to make my own planet for so load it hurts.

EDIT: I, as you could imagine, wasnt updating the system files properly.

Edited by jesusHERCULESchrist

Hello... I have a quick question... I have been playing around and learning the system... I've managed to produce a system based off of the serious system... Which works perfectly great :) however I then tried to add a Skelton to the system... (changed the names of the files like the others and there orbits) however the Skelton copy does not seem to appear... My question is... Does copying and adjusting work on only things added after initial release or can it work with the original added planets? And if so how? If anyone can help it would be great :)

Hello... I have a quick question... I have been playing around and learning the system... I've managed to produce a system based off of the serious system... Which works perfectly great :) however I then tried to add a Skelton to the system... (changed the names of the files like the others and there orbits) however the Skelton copy does not seem to appear... My question is... Does copying and adjusting work on only things added after initial release or can it work with the original added planets? And if so how? If anyone can help it would be great :)

theoretically it should...are you updating the .system file? and the file names are right? i've forgotten to update the .system, or messed up the name and have it not appear at all

theoretically it should...are you updating the .system file? and the file names are right? i've forgotten to update the .system, or messed up the name and have it not appear at all

Yes... I updated the .system... And renamed all the files... My laptop battery died so I can't show my output log or my results and I'm busy tomorrow so unless someone figures it out I'll post the files on Sunday :)

Thanks for your help and thanks krag for doing this mod

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.