Orbital Scooter + Launch System

Hi all. Here's one of my latest creations, the Mk V orbital scooter (yes there were 4 other... less healthy versions before it ;.; ). Aside from the certain appeal to strapping a Kerbal on top of a rocket and shooting him out into space in nothing but his space suit, the orbital scooter turned out to be quite a useful little craft as it has a decent fuel autonomy, enough for one or two orbital rendezvous, and in case you happen to run out of fuel you can always fly by RCS since the craft is so light. Who knows maybe I'll strap some small landing gear on it and try taking it to the Mun one day just for laughs.

You can download the zip file here: http://goo.gl/UXTQB8

And here's the presentation video:

Note 1: I listed this under stock since it doesn't use any fancy components, however, I do run the MechJeb mod and the scooter integrates the MechJeb control box, but you can take that out easily.

Note 2: For easy access, I included a pod in the launch configuration, so that you can simply EVA your kerbal, and climb up the ladder and into the scooter without having to do this in two different "launches". However the scooter has remote control so you don't need to launch a kerbal up into space if you don't want to.

Enjoy!

The only problem I find with this is that the docking port is angled and the craft is a bit too long. Docking to objects is going to be a hassle and moving object with it is going to be a bigger hassle. Also as the limited fuel runs out, the RCS and the center of mass is going to be different, meaning that it's going to be unstable. But other than that, this thing looks cool! Just like my MMU

Yeah the scooter is not designed to move stuff around, just to move kerbals in a stylish way :) The docking port is just so you can park the thing, it wasn't originally included in the design until Jebediah took a short break at the orbital station to get a drink and his scooter flew off into the depths of space heh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.