I'm going to 3D print your spaceship and send it you

cudburprinter

0mQXoYzl.jpg

a8z2s8ul.jpg

Last night I decided to 3d print a random redditor's KSP spaceship. I had such a great response that someone mentioned this forum and my mind has been since mesmerized by all the unique designs. If you have access to a printer, you can print it yourself here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:223355

I'd like to print as many as possible so I'm running a short contest to print the highest voted craft here: reddit post

I'm hoping the vehicle voted is indicative of the quality shown in this forum!

I reckon you should do Munbug. For me it is the most iconic Kerbal ship. :)

I thought the same thing. Then again, that would mean printing a copy of a Saturn-Apollo. That's iconic enough, sure, but not because of KSP exactly...

I'd have to go with the kerbal X if I have to be impartial. But if I can submit one of my own, that I would love to see printed... well, the ship that jumps to mind is mine, as you could have guessed ^^'

bqfZupr.png

zFHmi8S.png

My most favorite SSTO ever, the White Dart (until the next one, I guess). And that's because you have already printed a lander, and kerbal X is a nice rocket everybody knows.

Rune. I guess you want variety, right?

o.0 FINALLY! A good... no, a GREAT reason/excuse to shell out on a 3D printer!!

First projects:

Kerbin anchorage:

1185311_327777404024930_544608672_n.jpg

Incom T-65 X-Wing fighter:

1069383_317279085074762_1658138887_n.jpg

Ark II Space Bus:

1150677_330775420391795_1264600086_o.jpg

BUT FIRST, THIS:

Ragnar Fuel Station. Do 3D printers do like, REALLY fine details, like spinaret thin?

1077882_321133874689283_2062982844_o.jpg

(and yes, that puppy still has engines on it - and enough delta-V to take it on a practically target-direct Grand Tour. And back again Sure do love those Super Atomic engines...).

Edited by ihtoit

Remember guys 3D printer have a limit. I made a read on Kerbal 3D prints and how it works:

Use welding mod Tomas your ship 1 part.

Get .mu of part

Turn into blender model

Customize in blender to make it good for printing

Print! On shapeways.com

Guest LTrotsky
I haven't been able to export the craft files so I've been modeling the spaceships individually in Solidworks.

The Squad needs to get on this. They could be the first gaming sim that allows you to 3D print your in-game creations. This alone could sell 500k copies of KSP. . .

Squad?

i want to try this too, but my process will be to 3d print all differents parts and assemble them with integrated neodymium magnets, so almost anything is achievable! even rapid unplanned dissembly. i just need to figure how to get the in-game models with minimal post-treatment to print those parts. and it will become tricky to snap things like solar panels, and other thing that you put freely on your designs...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.