"Gravity", writ large

Using any part and any flight aid except cheats (as in, no infinite fuel, etc), launch two manned capsules into two Kerbol orbits, one carrying one crew member inside Kerbal's orbit and one outside which has one crew member and space for one more. With the INNER orbiting craft, make a close flyby rendezvous (NOT a docking manoeuvre) and perform a free flight EVA transfer of one crew member to the other craft and return that craft to Kerbin.

(I know this can be done, I did it as an impromptu rescue during a failed Duna/Ike mission and it was *bloody hard*).

Rules/scoring:

No infinite fuel/infinite RCS

No refueling

Mission scores as a success or as a failure depending on safe landing of both Kerbals back on Kerbin. Usual proof rules apply.

Mission profile:

1. Launch low orbit one-man manned probe into Kerbol orbit.

2. Launch high orbit two-man manned probe into Kerbol orbit.

3. Plan and execute Holmann transfer in one-man probe to high orbit and rendezvous.

4. Execute EVA transfer from one-man probe to two-man probe.

5. Return two-man probe to Kerbin SOI and soft ground landing.

Extra "Kudos" points for landing within sight of KSC!

**Fuel consumption is a definite issue in this one, as I had no way to refuel either craft! Appending the rules to reflect this slight inconvenience**

Edited by ihtoit

Not sure what part of the challenge you guys are missing.

Two craft in Sol orbit, one higher then Kerbal one lower, rendezvous and transfer crew and return to Kerbin.

Measured by total fuel use, so efficiency of crafts is taken into account.

To give you an idea of what the OP is talking about:

If you have seen Gravity, then you know the bit where Sandra Bullock jumps out of her soyuz capsule and grabs onto Tiangong without decelerating the capsule, and instead using a fire extinguisher to do so after exiting.

The challenge is to re-enact this scene, except to have one ship at a higher orbit, another at a lower orbit, and make an encounter with it, then jump out and board the second vessel using only your EVA pack.

there is no mention of efficiency or fuel remain in OP? You win as long as you return safely, which is as easy as putting a parachute on top?

Fair enough. I think that this challenge should have some point system (have return ship in (x)km orbit, highest orbit for "stranded" ship wins or something.)

However, the challenge calls for you to encounter and board the second ship. If you just returned the first ship, then you would have done neither.

Fair enough. I think that this challenge should have some point system (have return ship in (x)km orbit, highest orbit for "stranded" ship wins or something.)

However, the challenge calls for you to encounter and board the second ship. If you just returned the first ship, then you would have done neither.

Still don't see the challenge I do it all the time when I'm too lazy to dock. It'll be a challenge to fail it instead of succeeding it.

To give you an idea of what the OP is talking about:

If you have seen Gravity, then you know the bit where Sandra Bullock jumps out of her soyuz capsule and grabs onto Tiangong without decelerating the capsule, and instead using a fire extinguisher to do so after exiting.

The challenge is to re-enact this scene, except to have one ship at a higher orbit, another at a lower orbit, and make an encounter with it, then jump out and board the second vessel using only your EVA pack.

yep, that's pretty much it. Harder than it sounds considering she was in Earth orbit, this mission is in solar orbit. If you're not so confident as to try the big mission, might try a practice run in Kerbin or Mun orbit first.

Still don't see the challenge I do it all the time when I'm too lazy to dock. It'll be a challenge to fail it instead of succeeding it.

Oh, another thing. You can't decelerate using the main engines upon encounter. You have to jump out, use the EVA pack to decelerate and get closer to the vehicle.

Oh, another thing. You can't decelerate using the main engines upon encounter. You have to jump out, use the EVA pack to decelerate and get closer to the vehicle.

yes you can

3. Plan and execute Holmann transfer in one-man probe to high orbit and rendezvous

even if you couldn't you can just make their orbits arbitrarily close such that the relative velocity is only like 5m/s

Edited by 1096bimu

yes you can...

even if you couldn't you can just make their orbits arbitrarily close such that the relative velocity is only like 5m/s

My GOD, bimu, for the love of all things Kerbal, SHUT THE HECK UP. In every challenge thread you visit you're either whining about the challenge or exploiting loopholes to get ridiculous scores and then whining when someone calls you on it.

If you're not happy with the challenge or it's just "too easy" for you, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. It really is that simple.

Not every challenge has to be a super complicated one. Put two ships in different orbits. Get an encounter planned, and instead of ship decel to complete the rendezvous(slowing down enough to dock), you jump out and do it with EVA. Pretend you used all your fuel getting the encounter (or used your soft landing rockets to do the encounter, as in the movie).

Still too complicated for you to wrap your head around, or soooo simple it's not worthy of the great bimu? Then don't do it, leave this thread, and stop making things not fun for other people.

Edited by FEichinger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.