[1.6.1] Soundtrack Editor 4.6 (2019-01-28)

pizzaoverhead

Soundtrack Editor

The latest result of the Kerbal Sound Overhaul Project, this mod allows you to add and remove music from the game, and set up playlists which decide when each song plays. Always wanted to hear Blue Danube when docking with a space station, a metal version of KSP's theme song when you start up the game, or Danger Zone while you buzz the control tower? This is the mod for you! Just drop some music files in the KSP\Music\ directory, launch the game, and use the in-game playlist editor to choose when you want them to be played.

A selection of free stockalike tracks are included from musician Kevin MacLeod, who created many of the tracks used in stock KSP. Several thousand more tracks are available for free at his website here. If you find any that work well with KSP, leave a message and I'll add it to a future sound pack. A replacement for the Kerbal Space Centre birdsong ambience is also included, edited from the original recording here. Currently .wav and .ogg filetypes are supported, as well as .mp3 on Windows (still working on a fix for Linux and Mac, but .wav and .ogg work fine).

9evKuVJg.png
Click for full album

Downloads

CurseForge | GitHub

Source included, project also available on GitHub licenced under GPL v2.

If you've enjoyed this, consider donating a cup of coffee to help with late night coding:

btn_donate_LG.gif

Included Tracks:

Playlist Settings

• Enabled: This allows the playlist to be prevented from being played without deleting it.
  • Loop: Once this playlist finishes playing its last track, it will start at the beginning and play all the tracks again, indefinitely.
  • Shuffle: Before being played, the order of the tracks in this playlist is randomised.
  • Pause On Game Pause: If this is selected, the track will stop playing when the pause menu is open. This is useful for atmospheric effects that shouldn't continue when time has been paused.
  • Disable Once Played: Once this playlist has been played once, it won't be played again until you re-enable it again. Useful for setting up music for once-off, first-time events or achievements.
  • Next Playlist: Once this playlist has finished playing, the playlist listed here will be played.
  • Sort This Playlist Before: If multiple playlists are all valid to be played with the current situation, this playlist should be played before the one listed here.
  • Sort This Playlist After: If multiple playlists are all valid to be played with the current situation, this playlist should be played after the one listed here.
  • Preload Time (s): When changing between tracks in this playlist, the next track will be preloaded into memory this many seconds before the current track ends. This can be used to reduce gaps or stuttering between tracks.
  • In Atmosphere: Whether this playlist should only be played if the active vessel is in atmosphere.
  • Time of Day (KSC): Whether this playlist should only be played when it is a certain time of day at KSC. Twilight denotes that the sun is just below the horizon. This only works with the stock KSC.
  • Schene: Which areas of KSP this playlist should be played in, for example the Tracking Station or SPH. "Flight" is the main rocket-flying game scene.
  • Vessel Situation: What the active vessel is currently doing.
    •  Landed: Has been moved, but is currently in contact with the ground.
    • Splashed: In an ocean.
    • Prelaunch: Has not yet started moving quickly after being loaded. Vessels can stay in Prelaunch while moving slowly over land.
    • Flying: Moving in atmosphere.
    • Sub orbital: On a path that leaves the atmosphere of a body, but will fall back down to it again.
    • Orbiting: In orbit around a body.
    • Escaping: On a path that will cause the vessel to leave the current body's sphere of influence.
    • Docked: Docked with another vessel.
  • Camera Mode: What the current view is: Flight (normal view), map, external (?), IVA (inside a vessel), Internal (using one of the IVA window views), any (any camera mode, don't care).
  • Body Name: The name of the body (e.g. planet, star, moon) that this vessel is currently in the influence of. This supports bodies added by mods, but be sure to spell them correctly.
  • Vessel State: Use this to have a playlist played when a vessel has been destroyed (dead).
  • Max Surface Velocity: This playlist won't be played if the vessel is going above this speed as displayed in the navball's "Surface" mode.
  • Min Surface Velocity: This playlist won't be played if the vessel is going below this speed as displayed in the navball's "Surface" mode.
  • Max Orbital Velocity: This playlist won't be played if the vessel is going above this speed as displayed in the navball's "Orbit" mode.
  • Min Orbital Velocity: This playlist won't be played if the vessel is going below this speed as displayed in the navball's "Orbit" mode.
  • Max Altitude: This playlist won't be played if the vessel is above this altitude (relative to sea level, as displayed in the main altimeter).
  • Min Altitude: This playlist won't be played if the vessel is below this altitude (relative to sea level, as displayed in the main altimeter).

Future plans

• "Close" button in the main window.
  • More options for playlist settings (suggestions welcome):
    • Apoapsis max/min.
    • Periapsis max/min.
    • Vessel has a target selected.
    • max/minDistanceTarget, max/minVelocityTarget.
    • "Ascending" and "Descending" options, so that fast launches and re-entry can be separated.
    • Vessel has reentry flames.
  • Option to wait until end of current track before switching.
  • Option to wait until end of playlist before switching.
  • Fix KSP issues with music playing during loading scenes. Done.
  • Fix "SpaceCentre" scene also playing for the Astronaut Complex, Mission Control, R&D, Administration Building. Done.
  • MP3 support for Linux and Mac.
  • Tracks for launchpad/runway load and launch.
  • Biome-specific music.
  • Short fanfare tracks for achieving something for the first time.
  • Situation-specific music: re-entry, parachuting, part destroyed. Mostly done (v4.0).
  • Save playlist position on exiting the game.
  • Use files that are in external folders: Point Soundtrack Editor at your music library.
  • In-game IVA music player with RPM support and optional upgradeable sound quality.
  • Playlists for every scene, not just construction and space. Done.
  • Celestial body-specific music: Orbit, atmospheric flight, surface travel, engine burns. Done (v4.0).
  • Redesign of the cfg to support all of the above. Done (v3.0).
  • Unloading tracks not currently being played from memory; streaming from disk. Done.
  • Support for multiple shuffled tracks for situations that don't currently support them (e.g. the main menu theme). Done.
  • Playlist priority/merging when multiple playlists are appropriate. Done (v4.0).
  • Optional GUI elements: Playback control, track name/artist toasts, in-game playlist editor. Done (v4.0).

Change log

v4.6 (2019-01-28)

• Support for KSP 1.6.x.
  • Fixed conditions in new playlists not being picked up until restart if not used elsewhere.
  • Fixed previous text values being displayed when changing from editing one playlist to another.
  • Fixed new playlists displaying text values from previous playlists.

v4.5 (2018-06-10)

• Support for KSP 1.4.x.
  • Added "Vessel state" tracker for triggering playlists when a vessel is destroyed.
  • Fixed issues with tracks not being preloaded correctly, preventing the "Credits" screen music from being played.
  • Fixed issue with max/min velocity and altitude values not being cleared correctly.
  • Fixed issue with music not being played when only one vessel exists.
  • Improved memory use.
  • Fixed time of day settings not working outside of the KSC view.

v4.4 (2017-11-23)

• Added pre-launch ambience similar to the Space Centre.
  • Fixed non-numeric input being allowed for numeric fields.
  • Fixed "Pause On Game Pause" not working.
  • Fixed current track resetting on situation change that didn't change the playlist.
  • Fixed max/min velocity/altitude settings not working.
  • Fixed error on saving new playlists in some cases.
  • Fixed issues with nearby vessels check.

v4.3 (2017-03-01)

• Added text for the current value of editable selections in the Playlist Editor.
  • Fixed Mission control ambience playlist's track.
  • Fixed playlists only activating on leaving the scene for the Astronaut Complex, Mission Control and Research & Development scenes.
  • Added missing AdminFacility psuedo-scene.
  • Removed empty entries from the persistor for preloadTime, playNext, playBefore, PlayAfter and minVelocity/Altitude values.
  • Fixed error on seeking to the end of a clip.
  • Fixed clicking "Cancel" on the Edit Playlist entries for In Atmosphere, Time Of Day, Scene, Situation and Camera Mode changing their values.
  • Fixed the Scene picker "Any" toggle not being able to deselect all entries.
  • Positioned Cancel buttons constantly to the right.
  • Fixed unexpected behaviour when track length is less than the set preload time.

v4.2 (2017-02-28)

• Fixed unloaded tracks not being loaded correctly.
  • Added warning message for failing to find a requested audio track.
  • Removed unneeded log statements.
  • Fixed error on seeking to the end of a file.

v4.1 (2017-02-25)

• Support for KSP 1.2.x.
  • Fixed issue with MP3s without ID3 tags failing to load.

v4.0 (2016-08-19)

• Advanced soundtrack management engine allows you to specify conditions that different soundtracks should play in, such as underwater, during re-entry or at KSC during the night.
  • No more editing text files! Full-featured GUI for creating and organising playlists.
  • Audio player: See the name of the current track, skip ones you don't like, pause the sound or adjust the volume.
  • Audio preview system: Listen to all the music and sound effects included in stock KSP, including hidden and unused sounds.
  • Playlist priority sorting.
  • Application launcher integration.
  • KSC night-time crickets.

v3.0 beta (2015-02-16)

• Completely rewritten playback management, playlists and memory management.
  • Dynamic loading of tracks: Only the current track needs to be in memory.
  • Environment-aware playlists: Have a specific track play when you go supersonic or splash down.
  • Looping and shuffling.
  • Track pre-loading.

v2.1a (2014-08-08)

• Added x64 option with alternate folder layout.
  • Added support for the KSP Add-on Version Checker.

v2.1 (2014-01-20)

• Added the "none" option to disable music for a specific scene, e.g. menuTheme = none
  • Fixed directory separators on non-Windows systems.
  • Removed debug messages.

v2.0 (2014-01-16)

• Added support for MP3 tracks.

v1.0 (2014-01-11)

• Initial release.
Edited by pizzaoverhead
Version 4.6 release.

Friken fantastic I make music myself but hadn't looked into how to replace the music yet. I'l give it a go when I get my Blade Runner style music done might even do my own version of the omm song. deffo got to add the mos eisleybar music to the VAB.

THANKS!

Edited by LMA

This is great. I've waited for something like this for a long time, thanks!

I don't see the need for mp3 support. It's easy enough to convert using vlc or audacity. Plus mp3s are rubbish ayways, the kill all the subtle parts in a song.

How can there be no need for the most commonly used format for music? Converting files is work, .wav files are huge, and if you're worried about quality, reconverting an .mp3 into yet another lossy format is the worst thing you can do.

Edited by Hurry, Starfish!

This is great. I've waited for something like this for a long time, thanks!

How can there be no need for the most commonly used format for music? Converting files is work, .wav files are huge, and if you're worried about quality, reconverting an .mp3 into yet another lossy format is the worst thing you can do.

This. All of this post. Pizzaoverhead has done it again.

WHAT. WHAT. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! Is this real? IS THIS ACTUALLY A THING I CAN SEE AND FEEL AND TOUCH (and listen to), I think I broke my mouse trying to install it. It can't install fast enough! I've had the music turned off for a very long time.

On a side note, I used "Peaceful Desolation" and "Darkest Child" in my "Kerpollo" video. Apparently they were meant for space.

Also, can we use this to turn the music off? Like, have no tracks and therefore scenes can have no music? While keeping it for others?

Edited by Hyomoto

MP3 support is now working. The release should be out tomorrow as there's still some tidying up to be done.

For anyone else working on code similar to this:

Unity no longer supports MP3 files, apart from on mobile devices. MP3s will not appear in the GameDatabase. When attempting to load an MP3, manually using the WWW method, it fails with the error "Streaming of 'mp3' on this platform is not supported". A way around this is described here. It uses the library MPG123 to load the MP3 data directly into a Unity AudioClip. The MPG123 DLL needs to be placed under KSP_Data/Mono to function, otherwise you get a "Fallback handler could not load library" message appearing many times in the log.

Ahaha! It's about time something like this came along. I've been tired of this one track in the construction screens that has a pulsating gate-effect on part of the audio, gives me a headache.

Plus, I can put my tracks in too.

Anyone want me to make an upload for my

tracks?

Yes Please Sir :D Just listened to it and it's awesome!

WHAT. WHAT. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! Is this real? IS THIS ACTUALLY A THING I CAN SEE AND FEEL AND TOUCH (and listen to), I think I broke my mouse trying to install it. It can't install fast enough! I've had the music turned off for a very long time.

On a side note, I used "Peaceful Desolation" and "Darkest Child" in my "Kerpollo" video. Apparently they were meant for space.

Also, can we use this to turn the music off? Like, have no tracks and therefore scenes can have no music? While keeping it for others?

They're very suitable tracks! I haven't done anything to specifically allow turning music off, but it might work if you set the track name to either nothing or gibberish, or point it to an empty wav or ogg file. I'll add something specifically to deal with disabling music in scenes for the next release.

Well, its nice then that you got it working but it seems we might as well just use ogg or wav anyways. Would this cause an increase in loading time?

In spite of its quality and licensing issues, MP3 is the de-facto standard for portable music, so it's important for this mod to support it. The MP3 loader only runs if MP3s are inside the Music folder, so it won't affect loading times if you don't use MP3.

Edited by pizzaoverhead

Kevin MacLeod's suitable tracks for space, in the same spirit as stock tracks:

Darkest Child

Deliberate Thought

Fanfare for space (for that 2001 feel !)

Hypnothis

Schmetterling

Spacial Harvest (almost 11 minutes long)

Tempting Secrets

And for the VAB/SPH, more light, swingy jazzy tunes, most with that Film Noir feel:

Airport Lounge

Bass Vibes

Covert Affair

Dispersion Relation

Fast Talkin

George Street Shuffle (enjoy those vibes !)

Hot Swing

I knew a guy

Intractable

NoGoodLayabout

On the Cool Side

Shades of Spring

Sidewalk Shade

Sweeter Vermouth (a bit short though)

Seems to be contributing pretty heavily to out-of-memory crashes. Replacing .wavs with .oggs helped considerably, but not enough.

Not SE's fault, of course. Playing a bit heavy on the mods.

Yep, the tracks are loaded into memory. I'm looking for a way to swap them out when not in use, but nothing so far.

THIS IS EPIC!

I have the Mass Effect starmap song to play in the tracking station!!!!!!!!! It's a dream come true :')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoqyXSDpr14

Similar to the specific music on planets, it is possible to play a song while viewing the map on an active ship?

Edited by Blaylock1988

THIS IS EPIC!

I have the Mass Effect starmap song to play in the tracking station!!!!!!!!! It's a dream come true :')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoqyXSDpr14

Similar to the specific music on planets, it is possible to play a song while viewing the map on an active ship?

Not yet! So you'd like the starmap song to play when you switch to map view during a flight? I'll add it to the list for when I'm doing the next stage of StEd.

Even better, would it be possible to trigger a certain song(s) to play during launch? If I could play the main theme to "When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions" I'd be a very happy engineer. :)

Straight after loading is finished, or once you press the spacebar?

tumblr_mr465o3JOc1qmqefwo1_500.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.