[1.6.1] Soundtrack Editor 4.6 (2019-01-28)

pizzaoverhead

5 minutes ago, mechanicH said:

Hey guys sorry for the stupid question....its my first time using this mod...where do i put the MUSIC and PLAYLIST files?    Does it go into GameData  or Sounds?

Into the main KSP folder (the one containing GameData, KSP.exe, and all the other stuff)

19 minutes ago, mechanicH said:

@cy4n  Ok so i put it in the main KSP folder...but i still dont see the player window...Do i need to take out the playlist CFG file and put it in with out its folder?

Your main KSP folder should look like this:

Main KSP folder, containing GameData, KSP_Data, KSP_x64_Data, Music, and Playlists

Inside GameData: 

Mgp2aVF.png

23 hours ago, xNeil Armstrong said:

Can't get it to work with reentry, can anyone help me out with this?

Here's the settings I use to play my launch/re-entry song

playlist
{
	name = Launch
	loop = False
	shuffle = False
	preloadTime = 5
	pauseOnGamePause = True
	disableAfterPlay = False
	tracks
	{
		//your songs here
	}
	playWhen
	{
		inAtmosphere = True
		scene = Flight
		situation = 56
		bodyName = Kerbin
	}
}

I haven't found a way for the mod to distinguish between a launch and a re-entry, so these settings check if you're simply in the atmosphere and not landed. You'll want to use a song you're comfortable playing for launching AND re-entering, not just one or the other. You can also copy/paste these settings then rename it and set it to play at whatever atmospheric body you want, preferably with different songs for different planets.

This is great! I'm still getting the hang of the settings, but I did manage to get some of my songs playing in the game! That's a start, at least. I'd like to get around to composing a theme for every body in the game. So far I've started one that I think fits well with Eve.

On 02/03/2017 at 7:46 PM, SpaceFox25 said:

I have a crazy bug. When I load a vessel in space, the music skips very rapidly throughout the playlist and never plays for more than a second. If I press the skip button, the player just stops completely. All other buildings sound fine for the most part. Once again, output log and playlist in the Dropbox.

Nevermind, I just reinstalled it and it works fine. It was strange, maybe because I made a new playlist. Either way, I'll get to test this out more during the weekend. :rolleyes:

same thing...

On 01/04/2017 at 7:53 PM, wadusher1 said:

Here's the settings I use to play my launch/re-entry song

playlist
{
	name = Launch
	loop = False
	shuffle = False
	preloadTime = 5
	pauseOnGamePause = True
	disableAfterPlay = False
	tracks
	{
		//your songs here
	}
	playWhen
	{
		inAtmosphere = True
		scene = Flight
		situation = 56
		bodyName = Kerbin
	}
}

I haven't found a way for the mod to distinguish between a launch and a re-entry, so these settings check if you're simply in the atmosphere and not landed. You'll want to use a song you're comfortable playing for launching AND re-entering, not just one or the other. You can also copy/paste these settings then rename it and set it to play at whatever atmospheric body you want, preferably with different songs for different planets.

-settings installed, but the songs restart each time I stage. pre launch settings don't works and broke the mod...

-Music stop after one or tow songs

-when I make a space walk on the Mun, the song switch at each step( status landed, sub orbital,landed, sub orbital...) 

-the music start randomly on the loading screen

good idea BTW. sorry for my english

3 hours ago, Vince_K said:

same thing...

-settings installed, but the songs restart each time I stage. pre launch settings don't works and broke the mod...

-Music stop after one or tow songs

-when I make a space walk on the Mun, the song switch at each step( status landed, sub orbital,landed, sub orbital...) 

-the music start randomly on the loading screen

good idea BTW. sorry for my english

Yeah those are all bugs with the mod. Sadly, there are a lot of things that will trigger the mod to restart the song or skip to a new song despite the situation you're in being the same, and the playlist not changing. The developer needs to implement a check to make sure the song only ever changes when the playlist changes. 

I work around this issue at launch by building a rocket with enough deltaV in the first stage to get to orbit before staging anything - in my case a big 3.75m tube with SpaceY engines at the bottom. This works for most launches, but when I launch something big that requires asparagus staging, there's not much I can do about the soundtrack.

I still haven't been able to get a playlist to loop, even though every single one of mine are set to loop. >.>

Edited by wadusher1

1 hour ago, wadusher1 said:

Yeah those are all bugs with the mod. Sadly, there are a lot of things that will trigger the mod to restart the song or skip to a new song despite the situation you're in being the same, and the playlist not changing. The developer needs to implement a check to make sure the song only ever changes when the playlist changes. 

I work around this issue at launch by building a rocket with enough deltaV in the first stage to get to orbit before staging anything - in my case a big 3.75m tube with SpaceY engines at the bottom. This works for most launches, but when I launch something big that requires asparagus staging, there's not much I can do about the soundtrack.

I still haven't been able to get a playlist to loop, even though every single one of mine are set to loop. >.>

i will follow this mod with interest. Music at launch and re-entry is a must have. But perhaps a better transition between the playlist would be welcome to. Anyway, keep on the good works

I'm having no luck getting this to work. I'm running the latest version with 32bit KSP 1.2.2 on Linux Mint. The stock game runs fine, except for the odd graphical glitch, and sounds work perfectly. With the mod installed, no music plays. Other sounds still work normally. The mod GUI opens. I can open the Player (which seems to take a while), but it always says 'none'. The button to show the tracks brings up an empty list. I can open the main Playlists window, and see all the playlists. I can add tracks to playlists, but it doesn't save them. I tried editing the playlists text file, but it doesn't load the changes when KSP loads. In the sound preview window, I can play previews of most tracks, but none of my own tracks which I put in the Music folder (which are all .ogg) will play, and some of the others won't. It seems like only the stock tracks can be played.

I would have uploaded a log, but there doesn't seem to be a current one. I may be missing something obvious, but I haven't played KSP for 18 months, and have forgotten a lot. Any help would be appreciated.

So...I finally had time last night to go through a good chunk of the royalty free music provided by Kevin MacLeod (here be music) and there are some great tracks in there!   Just go into 'Full Search' and then filter for the music types you are looking for.  I found a lot of good stuff under 'dark', 'mysterious' and/or 'somber' in the 'feels' filter and listened to tracks that are 3 mins or longer.

I ended up dnlding about 15 tracks for Space, around 10 for the VAB/SPH (Construction) and another 5 or so unique/fun tracks for the other buildings & menus. 

Man did it spice up my game....I'm so stoked on the new music!  

I'll post my music lists later tonight when I get home after work in case anyone is interested.  

Jeb says rock on! :) 

Edited by Red Stapler
added link to Kevin's free museek

Ok, here is my playlist...

• Tracks that start with a 'v' were added to 'Construction' playlist
  • Tracks that start with a 'z' were added to the 'Space' playlist
  • Tracks that start with an 'x' were added to the 2 'Menu' playlist or other buildings at the KSC.  I don't think I used the Sunday Dub track.

gzISyPa.png

A couple of favs...

• 'Cool Kats' is great in the Astronaut Complex....it has a cool early 1960s vibe.
  • 'Hall of the Mountain King' cracks me up everytime it plays in the VAB.
  • The 'Ossuary' tracks make great space soundscape music
  • I put 'Marty Gots a Plan' in both the Construction playlist and in the Mission Control one...it's so very Kerbal and one can never have enough Marty.

There are a few Space tracks I may change out but I am uber happy for now with all the new ambiance these tracks have created.  Jeb even breaks out his electric kuitar from time to time...although it is a bit of a challenge to rock out with only 4 fingers. :)

Edited by Red Stapler

On 4/2/2017 at 7:16 PM, cubinator said:

This is great! I'm still getting the hang of the settings, but I did manage to get some of my songs playing in the game! That's a start, at least. I'd like to get around to composing a theme for every body in the game. So far I've started one that I think fits well with Eve.

https://spaaace.bandcamp.com/track/eve

I wish I could get a song to play x seconds before sunrise using this, but this is a start. I might do a deep space theme next.

Hey, is there plan to add a track fader in the not so far future? It'd be the #1 quality of life improvement for tabbing in and out of the editors. Just making a track fade out instead of abruptly ending when it's parameters aren't met?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

56 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hey, is there plan to add a track fader in the not so far future? It'd be the #1 quality of life improvement for tabbing in and out of the editors. Just making a track fade out instead of abruptly ending when it's parameters aren't met?

That would be a cool feature +1.

I'm not sure how much more work pizzaoverhead is putting into this mod though...you might want to reach out to him.   Cheers.

40 minutes ago, Red Stapler said:

That would be a cool feature +1.

I'm not sure how much more work pizzaoverhead is putting into this mod though...you might want to reach out to him.   Cheers.

Pizza watches this thread :P I don't like being pushy so I'll leave it here for him to read when he's next here. He has his own private plans I'm sure and I don't want to disrupt them. Like FreeIVA :)

• 3 weeks later...

I love the mod, however it does seem to have a few oddities which I haven't been able to track down the cause of.

Sometimes sound completely breaks, when I open the playlist editor I notice that the bottom 2 playlists "the chirpy birds/crickets" ones aren't there. I can sometimes fix it by completely reinstalling the mod, but not by replacing the playlist from a backup. Other times I can only fix the error by deleting the mod, reloading the game, then reinstalling again.

It doesn't seem to recognize changes I have made in Ksp/playlists/playlist.cfg

I can't get any music during atmospheric flight, making a new playlist for it or modifying the 'Space' playlist to also work in the atmosphere just seems to break something. Sound stops working untill going back to the tracking station or Space center.

Edited by MarcAFK
errors

The new version of this mod is decent[edit: -ly great], but there are one or two main problems that aggravate me. First of all, it skips to the next track every time the game pauses or un-pauses, so that when I make a named quicksave, or pause the game several times to try and get a good screenshot without messing up what I'm doing, it switches the song, twice. Secondly, it changes the song every time the situation changes, which is a pain when using rovers [edit: on low-gravity moons], and is unbearable when using a kerbal on EVA on a body's surface. Both of these problems need to be fixed for me to be satisfied completely with this mod (which is great already compared to the alternatives).

Edited by LaytheDragon

1 hour ago, LaytheDragon said:

The new version of this mod is decent, but there are one or two main problems that aggravate me. First of all, it skips to the next track every time the game pauses or un-pauses, so that when I make a named quicksave, or pause the game several times to try and get a good screenshot without messing up what I'm doing, it switches the song, twice. Secondly, it changes the song every time the situation changes, which is a pain when using rovers, and is unbearable when using a kerbal on EVA on a body's surface. Both of these problems need to be fixed for me to be satisfied completely with this mod (which is great already compared to the alternatives).

Yeah, I've encountered those 2 problems as well, but I love all the extra ambiance this mod brings to KSP so I can live with it. You can go into your playlists/edit mode and there is an item in there you can de-select so the track does not stop playing on pause IIRC but I am at work right now so can't provide specifics.

I have dnlded so many free tracks from Kevin Macleod that my KSP is a totally different game right now. :)

On 5/5/2017 at 4:38 PM, Red Stapler said:

Yeah, I've encountered those 2 problems as well, but I love all the extra ambiance this mod brings to KSP so I can live with it. You can go into your playlists/edit mode and there is an item in there you can de-select so the track does not stop playing on pause IIRC but I am at work right now so can't provide specifics.

I have dnlded so many free tracks from Kevin Macleod that my KSP is a totally different game right now. :)

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve a fundamental issue with the mod, which is that there are a whole heap of things you can do that switch songs which shouldn't do so, like decoupling parts/docking, switching vessels, going EVA, entering orbit or a suborbital trajectory with one playlist covering all 3 of those situations, and so on. These happen often enough to be annoying, but, thankfully, not often enough for me to delete the mod.

The only time a new song should ever be selected is when a new playlist is loaded. What should happen when any of that occurs is the mod should compare the playlist before these events to the playlist after them, and if they are identical, the track should continue where it left off.

As for the pause issue, what's stopping the mod from simply pausing/unpausing the track it's playing, as opposed to selecting another one twice?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Thank you for good add-on. Unfortunately, it doesn't work correct for me. I have copyed all files as prescribed to the root folder of KSP. Player is opened but it unable to play any other music what I have added. Only stock music. It doesen't play even thouse which were in the folder of add-on. 

Edited by muffler

5 hours ago, muffler said:

Hi! Thank you for good add-on. Unfortunately, it doesn't work correct for me. I have copyed all files as prescribed to the root folder of KSP. Player is opened but it unable to play any other music what I have added. Only stock music. It doesen't play even thouse which were in the folder of add-on. 

Hi....did you add all of those new tracks via the SoundTrack Editor GUI?  You need to open the playlists and then edit them....'Add' new tracks and save for them to take effect.   You may also need to exit the current scene and go back in for the new tracks to take effect, but I don't recall exactly.  STE works for me and I have a ton of additional tracks loaded from Kevin MacLeod. :)

...or you placed the new tracks in the wrong KSP folder somehow.  Maybe provide a screen cap?

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.05.2017 at 7:51 PM, Red Stapler said:
Spoiler

Hi....did you add all of those new tracks via the SoundTrack Editor GUI?  You need to open the playlists and then edit them....'Add' new tracks and save for them to take effect.   You may also need to exit the current scene and go back in for the new tracks to take effect, but I don't recall exactly.  STE works for me and I have a ton of additional tracks loaded from Kevin MacLeod. :)

...or you placed the new tracks in the wrong KSP folder somehow.  Maybe provide a screen cap?

Thank you for reply! I have already found how it works. It works fine for me now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.