[1.6.1] Soundtrack Editor 4.6 (2019-01-28)

pizzaoverhead

Turns out I was playing with textures on maximum. Turning them down solved the crashes relating to SE and everything else.

Now the textures look like a dog peed on them, but my VAB sounds like a Final Fantasy 6 magitek factory and that is awesome.

Is "menuTheme" the designation for the intro music when KSP first loads up? People have requested to find a way to replace the intro music with my 'metal' version. I can point them to this mod if so!

Edit: Yes it is. This is so cool! It'll bring a breath of fresh air to the game.

Edited by BahamutoD

More ideas:

- Allow songs to be selected as a planet's "theme" and they will play whenever you're doing stuff on their surfaces

- Songs can be assigned to certain events, such as reentry, burns, launch, and Rapid Unexpected Disassemblyâ„¢

- Allow for multiple songs to be assigned to each category - the program will select one at random, but will never play the same one twice in a row

Might be useful to put links to a few soundtracks in the OP as related material to go with the mod.

My thread for Trans-Atmosphere is here, and it'll be buried and see little exposure without constant commentary like this thread has.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66095-Trans-Atmosphere-The-Cosmic-Concert

Edited by AdmiralTigerclaw

Do you have a suggestion for where to install libmpg for those of us that don't have a KSP_Data folder (OS-X?)? Or is this mod now Windows-only? Thanks.

(Edit: If there's on good idea as to where libmpg123 should go, would you be willing to add a "Disable MP3/MPG" option to settings.cfg? The plugin only has issues when it tries to enter the MP3Import() code in LoadMp3s()s. After that it just disappears... no segfault, no other log messages, just unloads or disappears or gets eaten by Unity.)

Edited by Cydonian Monk
Suggestion added.

I already said thanks, but honestly, every time I enter orbit I am just absolutely pleased. There's nothing wrong with the stock music, but most of us have heard it so many times that this is just a treat. I really look forwards to seeing what you'll be able to accomplish with this once you start getting customization features going!

I tried it. I liked it. The ability to add new music ingame is a great idea and a credit to the creators.

But I just removed this mod because the KSP music bugs (abrupt/random playback) that have plagued me since .21. I'm sure this will be much more popular once Squad addresses these. So don't let it die.

I tried it. I liked it. The ability to add new music ingame is a great idea and a credit to the creators.

But I just removed this mod because the KSP music bugs (abrupt/random playback) that have plagued me since .21. I'm sure this will be much more popular once Squad addresses these. So don't let it die.

I may have a potential minor fix for this. I was getting some very agitating lag, you know the kind, where the music pops and stutters? Well, my computer has been running a bit hot as of late and its about that time, so I cleaned out my fans and heatsinks and now its running much cooler. As a side effect, almost all the lag and sound issues I was having before are gone. I don't know if that is your issue, but its something that may help people such as myself who are playing on laptops and it never hurts to do regular computer maintenance anyways.

I may have a potential minor fix for this. I was getting some very agitating lag, you know the kind, where the music pops and stutters? Well, my computer has been running a bit hot as of late and its about that time, so I cleaned out my fans and heatsinks and now its running much cooler. As a side effect, almost all the lag and sound issues I was having before are gone. I don't know if that is your issue, but its something that may help people such as myself who are playing on laptops and it never hurts to do regular computer maintenance anyways.

Thanks, but it isn't lag. I'm running this on a rather powerful linux box and the symptoms are not tied to system load. They are the same regardless, on more than one machine. And lag would not cause tracks to play randomly between scene changes. This is a bug that has crept into the last couple releases, but is rarely mentioned as many/most people play with music muted.

More ideas:

- Allow songs to be selected as a planet's "theme" and they will play whenever you're doing stuff on their surfaces

- Songs can be assigned to certain events, such as reentry, burns, launch, and Rapid Unexpected Disassemblyâ„¢

- Allow for multiple songs to be assigned to each category - the program will select one at random, but will never play the same one twice in a row

Added to the future work list.

Might be useful to put links to a few soundtracks in the OP as related material to go with the mod.

My thread for Trans-Atmosphere is here, and it'll be buried and see little exposure without constant commentary like this thread has.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66095-Trans-Atmosphere-The-Cosmic-Concert

@pizza

Can you add music (I wrote it's name and link in my previous post) to the default music in your mod? I will be very grateful for that :)

Music packs deserve their own threads for people to discuss them. If you package them for StEd with the correct folder structure and a settings.cfg, it will be easier for others to use them.

Do you have a suggestion for where to install libmpg for those of us that don't have a KSP_Data folder (OS-X?)? Or is this mod now Windows-only? Thanks.

(Edit: If there's on good idea as to where libmpg123 should go, would you be willing to add a "Disable MP3/MPG" option to settings.cfg? The plugin only has issues when it tries to enter the MP3Import() code in LoadMp3s()s. After that it just disappears... no segfault, no other log messages, just unloads or disappears or gets eaten by Unity.)

I don't have an OS-X machine to test on at the moment, but I see two places where libmpg is likely to work. If either of these paths work for you, I'll put together an OS-X release:

KSP.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx

KSP.app/Contents/Data/Managed

I may be able to fix the music playback during loading. I'll check it out. From what I've read, the crackling and popping seems to be an issue with Unity's sound system, but I'm hoping it may be some fixable KSP problem.

I don't have an OS-X machine to test on at the moment, but I see two places where libmpg is likely to work. If either of these paths work for you, I'll put together an OS-X release:

KSP.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx

KSP.app/Contents/Data/Managed

Neither location worked for me.

There is however another line in the log that I didn't notice the first time: "STED error: Directory '/Applications/KSP_osx_23.0/GameData/SoundtrackEditor\Music\' not found." (Perhaps the first time it crashed before the message was logged?) On a whim I updated SoundtrackEditor.cs line 299:

string path = modDir.FullName + @"\Music\";

...to use "/" for the separator character instead of "\", and that issue resolved. Without looking deeper into your coding style I'm not sure what the best cross-platform solution is for you, so I'll just leave that there.

With that change made I returned back to libmpg: Without the dll or with the dll in the two suggested locations, I get: "STED error: libmpg123-0" as the last line of the KSP log for the Main Menu scene, no other errors reported. After the first two locations failed, I attempted to copy the dll to every directory within the KSP application bundle, with no success. I also attempted to place it in the KSP root directory, and in a directory named KSP_Data/Mono/, and /usr/lib/ (and some other system-level lib paths), also with no success. I can confirm I had sufficient permissions to use the dll.

Provided no mp3s are included in the /Music/ directory or referenced in the settings.cfg file, the plugin does successfully load once changes are made to account for the above directory separator issue. I might take a deeper look at this tomorrow morning when I've got a bit of time (though I'm doubtful there is an easy resolution... and copying files into App Bundles is a bit ugly and prone to breaking anyway).

Thanks for the suggestions at least.

Music packs deserve their own threads for people to discuss them.

That link IS its own thread. I'm asking you to put a link pointing to it as related material at the beginning of this thread.

Reason being that there will obviously be more discussion in this thread that will keep it bumped comparatively speaking. Where as my thread will sink and get far less exposure simply due to being quiet. After all, there just isn't very much to discuss in a thread with a finished set of songs and a simple working download.

It's forum logistics.

Version 2.1 is now available. This adds the ability to set the music for any scene to "none" to disable it. It also contains a first pass at unloading unused tracks, so the memory usage should be better in some cases.

Neither location worked for me.

[...]

I've corrected the path issue you mentioned, thanks. Assuming that is working now, check for any other errors mentioning libmpg, Mono or the like. They may mention the required path, as the do on Windows.

I've corrected the path issue you mentioned, thanks. Assuming that is working now, check for any other errors mentioning libmpg, Mono or the like. They may mention the required path, as the do on Windows.

The path issue is now resolved, thanks.

Attempted to load an mp3 without installing libmp3 to see if it would alert me to any correct path. No luck. Error message changed slightly: "STED MP3 Import error: libmpg123-0", but that might be due to changes you've made. The few indications I saw on the Unity forums about this particular issue (and even one on libmpg123 itself) hint that the Application Bundle needs to be rebuilt in XCode for library additions to be supported, something which is obviously beyond our grasp. I took a chance and tossed it in the antiquated "KSP/Plugins" directory and GameData/SoundtrackEditor/Plugins, but that also didn't do anything useful.

It does, however, behave properly with mp3s resident in the SoundtrackEditor/Music folders, provided the mp3 is not assigned to a scene.

A new issue has arrived: Setting a scene's music to "none" results in a peculiar segfault that neither produces an output.log (or whatever the usual naming convention is for the crash log), and does not include anything in the main log - just a flat out crash to desktop. Seems to be a null pointer, though, based on the various crash reports:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

I glanced briefly at the code for the "none" logic, but nothing really jumped out at me. There were no errors reported in the log, and I would expect it to throw something if AudioClip.Create failed. This occurred after setting the SpaceCenter scene to "none". Setting both menuTheme and menuAmbience to "none" also produced the crash, but not either-or, as, oddly, setting only the menuTheme scene to "none" resulted in skipping the KSP Anthem. If emptytrack was null, I would expect any use of it to crash exactly like SpaceCenter, but Unity can be weird like that sometimes. Even more peculiar is settings credits to "none" does not produce the fault. (The crash only occurs on accessing the scene for which the track is "none" and not at load.)

Thanks for looking at these issues. Sometimes us *NIX folks get ignored by game modders. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.