[1.6.1] Soundtrack Editor 4.6 (2019-01-28)

pizzaoverhead

When can we expect to get a release with dynamic track loading? Since the first post states that it is finished and it works, the major memory footprint right now is the only thing keeping me from using it. My system is in a sweet spot for playing with a lot of mods, opengl and atm is working great, but when installing this mod its always the end for the camels back :)

When can we expect to get a release with dynamic track loading? Since the first post states that it is finished and it works, the major memory footprint right now is the only thing keeping me from using it. My system is in a sweet spot for playing with a lot of mods, opengl and atm is working great, but when installing this mod its always the end for the camels back :)

At this point, September at the earliest. I've had a main hard drive failure (the one with the OS, IDE, code and KSP on it), so I haven't even seen the 0.24 API changes yet. The new one's due to arrive in a week or two.

So far, the work done is a debug proof of concept that shows dynamic track loading. The next step is to rip out and completely replace the stock music playback system. The current version 2.x soundtrack editor just allows slotting songs into the existing stock music player. The stock music player does everything else: controlling playback, track ordering and selection, bugs when changing scenes etc. For the version 3 release, I'll be disabling it completely and replacing it with a new soundtrack editor music player.

At the moment, things are about half-way there. The stock music player has been disabled and the new one can play files nearly as well as the old one. The new configuration file system that lets you specify when and where each playlist should be played isn't quite finished yet. I've been trying to make something that's simple to work with but complicated enough to cover all the situations people will want to use it in. Currently you can do things like have the same track continue playing through a loading screen and fade out when the next scene is loaded, or play background noise in IVA only. It still needs hooked up to lots of events for planets, altitude, time warping, that kind of thing. Speaking of time warp, you can now have the music speed up when warping.

For playback, fading in and out is working, as is shuffling playlists. Still to be done is a new GUI system. It'll mean you can change tracks without restarting, and won't have to deal with editing text files. Multitrack support also needs a lot of work done. Stock KSP plays two tracks at once for interior scenes: The music and a background ambient hum. If it turns out well, you'll be able to do things like fade in an extra drumbeat on top of your music when things are getting tense.

If I get things to a state that mostly works, I may do a beta release of something close to the current feature set, but with dynamic loading (and bugs) for people to try out. Time will tell if that's feasable.

Wow, thank you very much for the answer. No more questions, just some pre-christmas feelings :) Nice job!

At this point, September at the earliest. I've had a main hard drive failure (the one with the OS, IDE, code and KSP on it), so I haven't even seen the 0.24 API changes yet. The new one's due to arrive in a week or two.

So far, the work done is a debug proof of concept that shows dynamic track loading. The next step is to rip out and completely replace the stock music playback system. The current version 2.x soundtrack editor just allows slotting songs into the existing stock music player. The stock music player does everything else: controlling playback, track ordering and selection, bugs when changing scenes etc. For the version 3 release, I'll be disabling it completely and replacing it with a new soundtrack editor music player.

At the moment, things are about half-way there. The stock music player has been disabled and the new one can play files nearly as well as the old one. The new configuration file system that lets you specify when and where each playlist should be played isn't quite finished yet. I've been trying to make something that's simple to work with but complicated enough to cover all the situations people will want to use it in. Currently you can do things like have the same track continue playing through a loading screen and fade out when the next scene is loaded, or play background noise in IVA only. It still needs hooked up to lots of events for planets, altitude, time warping, that kind of thing. Speaking of time warp, you can now have the music speed up when warping.

For playback, fading in and out is working, as is shuffling playlists. Still to be done is a new GUI system. It'll mean you can change tracks without restarting, and won't have to deal with editing text files. Multitrack support also needs a lot of work done. Stock KSP plays two tracks at once for interior scenes: The music and a background ambient hum. If it turns out well, you'll be able to do things like fade in an extra drumbeat on top of your music when things are getting tense.

If I get things to a state that mostly works, I may do a beta release of something close to the current feature set, but with dynamic loading (and bugs) for people to try out. Time will tell if that's feasable.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, but it's not working for me. 32 bit KSP (x86 download) and I set all the ambient tracks =none, but I still get the default sound. I also deleted two of the default space tracks and they haven't relocated to "UnusedTracks" despite a few restarts.

The SoundtrackEditor dll is showing up in the alt-F12 debug console.. what else can I check?

Post your configuration file and output_log.txt here (via pastebin or similar) and I'll check it out.

Nothing particular to say other than thank you for this mod!

It really adds to the sense of place when, after 50 hours of gameplay into your career, a whole new set of music plays once you enter another planet's sphere of influence. Because really, most planets are the same once you land on their surface. The music is something that could really make them feel different. With that said, I can't wait till your next release. :)

Post your configuration file and output_log.txt here (via pastebin or similar) and I'll check it out.

Log file

(Added the * = none suggested above, still, birds. And music)

* = none

astroComplexAmbience = none

credits = none

menuAmbience = none

menuTheme = none

researchComplexAmbience = none

spaceCenterAmbience = none

SPHAmbience = none

trackingAmbience = none

VABAmbience = none

SpacePlaylist

{

track = KSP_SpaceAmbience01

track = KSP_SpaceAmbience02

track = KSP_SpaceAmbience03

track = KSP_SpaceAmbience04

track = Arcadia

track = Bathed in the Light

track = Dreamy Flashback

track = Frozen Star

track = Impact Lento

track = Wizardtorium

track = KSP_MainTheme

track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Darkest Child

track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Dragon and Toast

track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Fairytale Waltz

track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Martian Cowboy

track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Mysterioso March

track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Numinous Shine

track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/On the Shore

track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Peaceful Desolation

track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/The Other Side of the Door

}

ConstructionPlaylist

{

track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Construction/Investigations

}

UnusedTracks

{

track = KSP_SpaceCenterAmbience

track = Frost Waltz

track = Frost Waltz (Alternate)

}

Thanks for checking

STED -- No config file present.

STED Save error: Could not find a part of the path "C:\KSP\GameData\SoundtrackEditor\settings.cfg".

It looks like it can't find your settings.cfg. That could be either due to its filename or the folder that it's in.

Check that your configuration file is called "settings.cfg" and is in the SoundtrackEditor folder next to the Music and Plugins folder. Also check that the SoundtrackEditor folder itself is inside the GameData folder.

It looks like it can't find your settings.cfg. That could be either due to its filename or the folder that it's in.

Check that your configuration file is called "settings.cfg" and is in the SoundtrackEditor folder next to the Music and Plugins folder. Also check that the SoundtrackEditor folder itself is inside the GameData folder.

Oh I should have noticed that. But this is a more interesting problem than it seems.

I have multiple KSP installs (that path IS an install, but it's an old one). The path should be C:\ksp-win-0-24-2\KSP\GameData\SoundtrackEditor\settings.cfg (and it is there).

How does it determine that path?

(Yeah, once I copied the file into that path, it started working. It also copied all the other files to the same folder.)

Edited by Garoad

Oh I should have noticed that. But this is a more interesting problem than it seems.

I have multiple KSP installs (that path IS an install, but it's an old one). The path should be C:\ksp-win-0-24-2\KSP\GameData\SoundtrackEditor\settings.cfg (and it is there).

How does it determine that path?

(Yeah, once I copied the file into that path, it started working. It also copied all the other files to the same folder.)

The hard-coded path is "GameData/SoundtrackEditor/settings.cfg". The rest is provided by stock KSP. I'm not sure why it would be mixing up your paths. Glad it's working for you now.

The hard-coded path is "GameData/SoundtrackEditor/settings.cfg". The rest is provided by stock KSP. I'm not sure why it would be mixing up your paths. Glad it's working for you now.

You know what may have been going on -- my shortcut link had C:\KSP as the "Start in" folder rather than the path to the actual exe.

This causes a crash for me when the scene changes from the menu, it didn't do it before. I redownloaded the mod and transferred my music (including the 'track = x' parts of the settings) and didn't use any other mods at all, unless you count the NASAmission folder.

Edited by Creeperchair
added ' ' after '='

This causes a crash for me when the scene changes from the menu, it didn't do it before. I redownloaded the mod and transferred my music (including the 'track = x' parts of the settings) and didn't use any other mods at all, unless you count the NASAmission folder.

For clarification, I redownloaded after whatever radomly broke.

For clarification, I redownloaded after whatever radomly broke.

How crash and errors happen is saved in the output_log.txt file. For any mod you report a crash with, you'll need to send the modder a copy of that file for them to do anything about it. The settings.cfg would be helpful with this mod too. You can put them on dropbox or or upload them to a site like pastebin, then post the link here.

How crash and errors happen is saved in the output_log.txt file. For any mod you report a crash with, you'll need to send the modder a copy of that file for them to do anything about it. The settings.cfg would be helpful with this mod too. You can put them on dropbox or or upload them to a site like pastebin, then post the link here.

Nevermind, it magically fixed itself after I reinstalled for the log. 7-zip might have screwed up the first extraction, usually it acts strangley when I accidentally go to another window/the desktop.

//There also could have been [something the settings parser didn't like that I accidentally typed, moved, copied or delted in in the settings file..:wink:

Nevermind, it magically fixed itself after I reinstalled for the log. 7-zip might have screwed up the first extraction, usually it acts strangley when I accidentally go to another window/the desktop.

//There also could have been [something the settings parser didn't like that I accidentally typed, moved, copied or delted in in the settings file..:wink:

That would have been stupid of me.

Urgh. Saved enough RAM with Wavefunction's slimmer Interstellar pack that I could run 64-bit KSP without texture management (because it makes my game look a bit odd sometimes) AND NOW YOU MAKE THIS AMAZING MOD. Back to square one .__.

Can't wait until the release that puts the music outside GameData!

Urgh. Saved enough RAM with Wavefunction's slimmer Interstellar pack that I could run 64-bit KSP without texture management (because it makes my game look a bit odd sometimes) AND NOW YOU MAKE THIS AMAZING MOD. Back to square one .__.

Can't wait until the release that puts the music outside GameData!

Windows Media Player is a manual alternative, I will use it until it lets you add as many tracks as you want, and circumstance-specific tracks.

Windows Media Player is a manual alternative, I will use it until it lets you add as many tracks as you want, and circumstance-specific tracks.

Windows Media Player doesn't open .OGG's, so if (use this mod!) you want to do OGG's manually, you can use Audacity or VLC Media Player. VLC is around 11.000kB of RAM while playing a 7 minute long OGG, while Audacity is around 24.500kB.

I'm having an issue where no new sounds will play when the mod is installed the game just acts like nothing happed at all. In the initial loading some of the sounds into memory but in game there is nothing. I have not made any changes to the music folder or settings.cfg. Im running linux with 64 bit ksp

The STED lines in player.log

STED: Running MP3 importer...

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

STED: Finished importing MP3s.

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

File 'GameData/SoundtrackEditor/settings.cfg' does not exist

STED -- No config file present.

STED Save error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

settings.cfg:

astroComplexAmbience = KSP_AstronautComplexAmbience
credits = KSP_Credits
menuAmbience = KSP_MenuAmbience
menuTheme = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Peaceful Desolation
researchComplexAmbience = KSP_ResearchAndDevelopment
spaceCenterAmbience = SoundtrackEditor/Music/dobroide-forest
SPHAmbience = KSP_SPHAmbience
trackingAmbience = KSP_TrackingStation
VABAmbience = KSP_VABAmbience
SpacePlaylist
{
track = KSP_SpaceAmbience01
track = KSP_SpaceAmbience02
track = KSP_SpaceAmbience03
track = KSP_SpaceAmbience04
track = Arcadia
track = Bathed in the Light
track = Dreamy Flashback
track = Frost Waltz
track = Frost Waltz (Alternate)
track = Frozen Star
track = Impact Lento
track = Wizardtorium
track = KSP_MainTheme
track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Darkest Child
track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Dragon and Toast
track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Fairytale Waltz
track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Martian Cowboy
track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Mysterioso March
track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Numinous Shine
track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/On the Shore
track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/Peaceful Desolation
track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Space/The Other Side of the Door
}
ConstructionPlaylist
{
track = KSP_Construction01
track = KSP_Construction02
track = KSP_Construction03
track = KSP - VAB_SPH_SneakyAdventure
track = Groove Grove
track = Brittle Rille
track = SoundtrackEditor/Music/Construction/Investigations
}
UnusedTracks
{
track = KSP_SpaceCenterAmbience
}

I'm having an issue where no new sounds will play when the mod is installed the game just acts like nothing happed at all. In the initial loading some of the sounds into memory but in game there is nothing. I have not made any changes to the music folder or settings.cfg. Im running linux with 64 bit ksp

File 'GameData/SoundtrackEditor/settings.cfg' does not exist

Your settings.cfg isn't where it should be, so it's just playing the default tracks. Check that the file is at the path shown above and has appropriate permissions.

Edited by pizzaoverhead

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.