[Index] Modifications for KerbalSpaceProgram

cbroughton

I know it's early for a full blown repo. (hence my saying 'in the future') My point is different. Like, in this thread for example, you are keeping the list up to date, but your post isn't the OP, which is really should be. KSP pulls in a lot of views already, and like most game communities there are a lot of people who don't take the time to read a thread or search, and a random lurker could easily miss your list since it isn't the first post. And, what if for whatever reason you stopped updating your post, either permanently, or even for a short while? (Not to say you would, but for example) Then someone else starts a new thread, or a new post in this thread.

Maybe a better solution is a wiki article that lists the mods, then anyone can edit the list at anytime, and it never gets 'locked out'? Then have a locked and stickied thread in this forum with a link to that page, for those who don't check the wiki.

I know it's early for a full blown repo. (hence my saying 'in the future') My point is different. Like, in this thread for example, you are keeping the list up to date, but your post isn't the OP, which is really should be. KSP pulls in a lot of views already, and like most game communities there are a lot of people who don't take the time to read a thread or search, and a random lurker could easily miss your list since it isn't the first post. And, what if for whatever reason you stopped updating your post, either permanently, or even for a short while? (Not to say you would, but for example) Then someone else starts a new thread, or a new post in this thread.

Maybe a better solution is a wiki article that lists the mods, then anyone can edit the list at anytime, and it never gets 'locked out'? Then have a locked and stickied thread in this forum with a link to that page, for those who don't check the wiki.

I completely agree about a secure location to place the files, but I'd like to point out that no matter where you display the files, they'll always have to be updated by a human at some point. And that's where the community comes in. But once there are too many mods to list in a thread (maybe like a month from now) we could switch over to a format that allows for instant upload and categorizing. Like; http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/.

No, it's a repository, not a blog. I'm trying to stuff it with all ksp-related things but it's a hard task to do by yourself...

If you want I could give up some of my free time for it, I already troll the project releases forums =P

Or maybe we could all group together and make a wiki page for this

I detest wikis, don't know why.

Wikis are pretty good for this though. Mod devs can go and add their new mod to the wiki right away. More than one person has access to the list to update it (what if the maintainer goes on vacation, or computer breaks, etc?) I think a page on the KSP wiki is the best way to keep a mod list neat and always up to date, while in this early stage of KSP.

Added. I'm almost done the repository site, just deliberating if I want people to register to post addons or not; I think it would make sense for authors to register, so I can notify them of statistics and stuff regarding their addons.

Added. I'm almost done the repository site, just deliberating if I want people to register to post addons or not; I think it would make sense for authors to register, so I can notify them of statistics and stuff regarding their addons.

Yes and no, have anonymous upload section that has to be approved by someone, and have users be able to upload them straight away

If you want I could give up some of my free time for it, I already troll the project releases forums =P

Or maybe we could all group together and make a wiki page for this

Sure, just register an account at the repository and start to add parts.

Charles you do know there is already a repository maintained by Victor and me?

http://ksp.victorbjelkholm.se/

Nonetheless good work. ;)

More competition equals more efficiency. However, we should act in a more community-based foundation, administrators need to add a repository directly to the forum software. Also, it's not just you and me who add content...

I think he was going for something less blog like, and something a bit more instantaneous/user oriented. I'm curious to see how it will turn out.

I'm trying to turn it that way.

My repository sa it is right now, has the following features complete or in the works / planned:

- Author ability to register and post their own addons without required activation, however their account or 'posting rights' need to be activated (happens upon their first addon being posted).

- Guests can post addons, but they will have no 'guarenteed' attribution, and will be considered modified GPL in license, meaning other people could re-release them with their own attributions, as long as the original repository URL was in their distribution in some form (either post or readme, etc)

- Simple forum bridge (alpha stages), authors being existing user accounts on either XenForo, or Simple Machines Forum (this one for example), and a reference table in MySQL that would handle which accounts were activated authors, etc.

- The ability to rate and comment on addons. (disqus ? I'm not sure yet.) If it's not disqus, then I will make the comment number accessible from within the styling variables of Xenforo and SMF as well, so you could show 'X repo comments' next to the post count or something.

The posting system seems to look like this, as in, addons have the following user-entry information:

- Addon / Project Name

- Author(s) (CSV list, each one can be an account. Doesn't need to include yourself. Each account listed will have equal access to managing the listing in the future, such as changing the information about it, viewing the stats... etc)

- Short Description (255 char limit, simple short description shown in search results.)

- Long Description (~65534 char limit, can be used to store addon description, change log, and other things. 'light' HTML-enabled (no javascript or malicious intentions, but allowed styling)

- Version Manager (Allows the contributors to upload and name versions (ie: v4.0rc3), each version will be an individual copy of the files, and can be listed in the changelog or wherever else in your long description.

- OPTIONS:

-- Automatically generate changelog? (generates changelog based on file changes from the version manager.)

-- Download Display Method [dropdown] (choose where the downloads are shown for your addon, if there's a dropdown with a version and a download button in the top right (default), or if you want only the current version shown and an 'Older Versions' button, or somehting)

-- (more to come)

What do you guys think so far?

Sounds great, but the changelog should only contain the short description, and the long description should be standard so you wont have to retype it / type a new one

You could add my parts pack, I've just released the 1.07 updated version.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=79.0

Sorry, we didn't get such a prestigious pack right away, we'll add it asap.

Why is Sunday's pack the only mod not included here? His is my favorite!

Actually quite a few people weren't listed here, but gradually we're filling in the gaps.