HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

@Nazari1382, i've tried that and nothing happened.

You tried editing size? Are you targeting the right part in the config? You can paste what you've done and I'll take a look.

example:

@PART[b9_Engine_Jet_Turbojet]

Tried out Hotrockets finally since it's a dependency for KSPRC pack, and I tried launching a probe core with a small stock SRB and had no thrust sound for some reason. I'm also using ASE so maybe that's the problem?

Even removed the ASE mod and it still didn't work. Not sure what the problem is, but after removing the HotRockets folder the rocket sounds work again.

Is it possible for you to separate the audio and visual effects? I like the visuals, but I'm completely losing all engine sounds for the rockets.

Even removed the ASE mod and it still didn't work.

Can you list all mods you have installed?

Is there a way to reduce the length of the smoke trails? I really like the mod but the trails are a little bit too power hungry, but they look a lot better than the stock ones too so I don't want to swap them out if I can help it

You can reduce the lifetime of the effect's particles by lowering the energy (2nd number of each energy line in each engines config)

Edited by Nazari1382

Even removed the ASE mod and it still didn't work. Not sure what the problem is, but after removing the HotRockets folder the rocket sounds work again.

Is it possible for you to separate the audio and visual effects? I like the visuals, but I'm completely losing all engine sounds for the rockets.

Look to see if you have the sound clips, KSPRC change the sound on, I think 1 booster

AUDIO

{

channel = Ship

clip = KSPRC/Sounds/SRB_B <-------- Here

volume = 0.0 0.0

volume = 0.8 0.8

pitch = 0.0 0.0

pitch = 1.0 1.0

loop = true

}

Should be 2 sound files in there Hope it helped.

You can reduce the lifetime of the effect's particles by lowering the energy (2nd number of each energy line in each engines config)

Ah thanks! That's even more perfect as it's only the SRB's causing me issues since they're typically being used in large numbers and give off huge smoke trails so I think I'll trim just them a bit. Awesome mod though, I've been messing around with lots of different engines today and it really changes the feel of them, especially when your switching from one type to another in staging. Each engine feels a lot more unique now!

Can you list all mods you have installed?

I think I figured out part of the problem, at least. I toned down the max thrust tweakable in the VAB and it really seems to lower the volume a lot when you do that. So much so that you can sometimes barely hear it. I reinstalled the latest version and didn't copy over anything from KSPRC just yet. Unfortunately ASE still can't properly do anything to the sound of them, as far as the shock cone is concerned anyway.

If I comment out the audio sections of the config, will the game use the stock sounds then?

I think I figured out part of the problem, at least. I toned down the max thrust tweakable in the VAB and it really seems to lower the volume a lot when you do that. So much so that you can sometimes barely hear it. I reinstalled the latest version and didn't copy over anything from KSPRC just yet. Unfortunately ASE still can't properly do anything to the sound of them, as far as the shock cone is concerned anyway.

If I comment out the audio sections of the config, will the game use the stock sounds then?

By looking at one of HotRockets it's using just stock sound, And did you delete the MP_Nazari folder and reinstall it ?

Edit---- You still have to tell it where the sound file is like

clip = KWRocketry/Parts/Engines/1mWildcat5/part/Sounds/sound_altloop///----Stock--->clip = sound_vent_medium////----KSPRC-->clip = KSPRC/Sounds/SRB_B
this are just 1 sound clip out of the 3 you have to set.

EDIT there is 1 from KW and Stock and the 1 that KSPRC changed

Edited by Mecripp2

@PART[JetEngineSmall] //Basic Jet Engine

{

!fx_exhaustLight_blue

!fx_smokeTrail_light

!fx_exhaustSparks_flameout

!sound_vent_medium

!sound_jet_low

!sound_jet_deep

!sound_vent_soft

!sound_explosion_low

EFFECTS

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST

{

name = smokethrust

modelName = MP_Nazari/FX/smokejet

transformName = thrustTransform

emission = 0.0 0.0 // Curve for emission like stock

emission = 0.07 0.0 // Curve for emission like stock

emission = 0.2 0.4 // Curve for emission like stock

emission = 1.0 1.1 // Curve for emission like stock

energy = 0.0 0.2 // Same for energy

energy = 1.0 3.2 // Same for energy

speed = 0.0 1.0 // And speed

speed = 1.0 0.8 // And speed

grow = 0.0 0.0 // Grow the particles at 0% per seconds ( 0.02 would be 2% )

grow = 1.0 0.15 // Grow the particles at 0% per seconds ( 0.02 would be 2% )

scale = 0.0 1.0 // Rescale the emitters to +0%

scale = 1.0 1.0 // Rescale the emitters to +0%

offset = 0.0 0.0 // Move the particle emitter away from its default position by x meters

offset = 1.0 0.5 // Move the particle emitter away from its default position by x meters

size = 0.0 1.0 // Rescale the particles to +0%

size = 1.0 1.1 // Rescale the particles to +0% I tried editing these values, it didn't appear to change anything.

renderMode = "Billboard" // Render mode : Billboard / SortedBillboard / HorizontalBillboard / VerticalBillboard / Stretch

collide = false // Collision active or not

collideRatio = 0 // how the particles react on collision. 1 is a mirror bounce, 0 is go parallel to the hit surface

fixedScale = 1 // Fixed rescale of the particle emitter (for when you rescale the model)

sizeClamp = 50 // Limits particle size. Default to 50

The part in question does not have its own part folder, it is just an additional config file in Squads own Jet Engine folder.

By looking at one of HotRockets it's using just stock sound, And did you delete the MP_Nazari folder and reinstall it ?

Edit---- You still have to tell it where the sound file is like this are just 1 sound clip out of the 3 you have to set.

EDIT there is 1 from KW and Stock and the 1 that KSPRC changed

Did a complete uninstall and reinstall, and it works. Like I said, ASE doesn't work correctly with it due to the way the engine soundFX handling has changed now or somesuch (according to what I've read), but at least it works.

Hey, I saw this mod on Manley's vids and I tried it out. I really like the new effects better than stock, but I've had to shut down this mod (rar'd its folders) because I'm having 2 issues with it:

1) Smoke effect is too aggressive. It looks a lot better than stock, but it's eating too much CPU. Is there a way to tone it down?

2) I can't end a flight while this mod is installed. All commands that would end the flight simply do nothing. Can't recover craft, can't return to space center, etc. The only way to recover is to F5, then Alt+F4, then recover the craft from the space center after restarting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the cool mod.

I'm having the same problems as Khatharr.

If I launch with SRBs attached, my fps goes down a lot and then the Revert buttons won't do anything.

Ok, verify that its only the SRB and you can get the bug multiple times. If you do, use this config in MP_Nazari folder instead of the current one and see if that resolves the bug.

http://www./download/imndwi9jn8wqdie/squad_hotrockets.cfg

I'm experiencing the same bug as the above, only I have no SRB's attached to my craft. The craft file that does it is using the new Squad 3.75m parts. Four of the 2.5m LFO Tank + Engine side boosters, plus a three stack of the largest 3.75m tanks and the biggest 3.75m Squad engine. It isn't happening immediately, but sometime after getting into orbit. I'll try the config file above and report back.

--edit--

The above config did not resolve the issue. Watching the debug log, I started getting spammed with "[Exception]: NullReferenceException". Checking the output_log.txt file, it's spammed with the following:

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.GameObject:get_transform ()

at PersistentEmitterManager.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

This is happening right after the B9 SRBS sepratrons are firing, so technically I have SRB's on the craft I suppose.

Edited by pantheis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.