HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

I launched the same craft that I had been using before for a quick Mun trip. I still experienced slowdown during the launch, but I think it may have improved slightly. Upon returning to Kerbin I was able to recover normally. Thank you! I didn't try isolation testing the SRBs, but there are a lot of them on launch stage, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were responsible.

Edit - Several more flights. It's working reliably. Cheers.

Edited by Khatharr

I launched the same craft that I had been using before for a quick Mun trip. I still experienced slowdown during the launch, but I think it may have improved slightly. Upon returning to Kerbin I was able to recover normally. Thank you! I didn't try isolation testing the SRBs, but there are a lot of them on launch stage, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were responsible.

Edit - Several more flights. It's working reliably. Cheers.

So it makes sense why the config worked for you and not for me. I'm using B9 SRB sepratrons, which don't have an updated config to fix whatever is causing the issue.

-edit-

I don't think it's the B9 stuff. I think it's the NASA LFO boosters. I don't know enough about the configs to test this theory though.

Edited by pantheis

Reporting back in. I just built a new craft and it's causing the same bug again. I used larger SRBs on this one (a pair of really big KW ones) I'll try to track down which specific part(s) is doing it as this is a much simpler craft.

Okay, now I can't recreate it. -.-

Sorry. I'll keep paying attention to it and respond again if I find out anything useful.

Edited by Khatharr

The smoke pretty sure it's a setting you can change but with smoke like that your going to have people crying about the lag you can check out this mod and hold it on the pad bad thing was he set it so the smoke clears to fast. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/16866-Horizon-Aeronautics-Development-Thread

Edit- But guess you could change that setting too.

Edited by Mecripp2

It seems I get some lag effect while using Novapunchs 3.75m Little Mother engine... every 2 or so seconds a hiccup. The rest of squad, b9, novapunch engines i have unlocked so far in my career seem to run smooth. Without hotrockets the Little Mother does not lag either. I have 51 mods installed and no lags besides that engine:)

Those pics on the bottom there are from B9 Aerospace. Speaking of which, bac9 recently posted saying he's working on a new update for the pack... yay! :)

Nazari, would you be able to put a bluish clear effect on the Skipper? I always think of it as a J-2 equivalent, which used cryogenic LH2 and LOX. It's exhaust was bluish clear, it's water vapor. It would also help break up the chain of most of the engines having a yellow exhaust.

I love what you've done so far, it's just an idea. I know it's not meant to be all that realistic but I just thought it might be something to mess with, something like the exhaust on the KSO main engines. :)

It seems I get some lag effect while using Novapunchs 3.75m Little Mother engine... every 2 or so seconds a hiccup. The rest of squad, b9, novapunch engines i have unlocked so far in my career seem to run smooth. Without hotrockets the Little Mother does not lag either. I have 51 mods installed and no lags besides that engine:)

Unless it was fixed the new fx that comes with NovaPounch will have too FX with hotrockets and through a bug best to zip up the NP.cfg in hotrockets folder.

It seems I get some lag effect while using Novapunchs 3.75m Little Mother engine...

It's got a boatload of emitters on it. I guess it'd lag less if the emission value was turned down for them though.

Nazari, would you be able to put a bluish clear effect on the Skipper? I always think of it as a J-2 equivalent, which used cryogenic LH2 and LOX. It's exhaust was bluish clear, it's water vapor. It would also help break up the chain of most of the engines having a yellow exhaust.

You can try switching it to use the "flamejet" effect as used in the sabre engines, and tweak its settings, like size, emission, and energy.

i'm having trouble resizing the effects to fit a smaller engine

cJL2Ide.png

both have a similar config, but the one on the right has the bolded lines added, yet remains the same size no matter what i set it to?

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
{
name = flameion1
modelName = MP_Nazari/FX/flameion
transformName = ThrustTransform
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.75
emission = 0.75 .82
emission = 1.0 1.0
[B] size = 0.0 0.25
size = 1.0 0.25
scale = 0.0 0.25
scale = 1.0 0.25[/B]
speed = 0.0 1.70
speed = 1.0 1.65
}

am i doing something wrong?

Edited by BobsYerUncle

So just to clarify Nazari, if the original numbers are 1.0 0.5 to half the size of the effect you change it to 1.0 0.25?

yes the first number is throttle level, second is size (based on the size of the original particle in the .mu)

You need SmokeScreen, and changing the second value on each line for size will work for that. The effect needs to be MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST.

Ahhhhhh. now its working perfectly. Thank you :)

qZqBX2U.png

So just to clarify Nazari, if the original numbers are 1.0 0.5 to half the size of the effect you change it to 1.0 0.25?

i had been changing the #s a few times just trying to get an effect, i started with .5 and thats what i used in the pic above.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.