HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

Do you have a non-curse mirror, I wont go there. I like your mod, but I will have to stop using it if curse is the only place to get it. And that's likely the sentiment of most users. Everyone over on steam is boycotting it completely.

Curse has an extremely bad reputation, why they went with them makes no sense...

Do you have a non-curse mirror, I wont go there. I like your mod, but I will have to stop using it if curse is the only place to get it. And that's likely the sentiment of most users. Everyone over on steam is boycotting it completely.

Curse has an extremely bad reputation, why they went with them makes no sense...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89dmk9deyffjhwq/HotRockets_7.1_Nazari.zip

Edited by Mecripp2

Download the SmokeScreen 2.0.1 release and update your .dll, open the SmokeScreen window via the Toolbar in-game and reduce the number of smoke particles (or their attributes, like collision) until you're happy with the performance.

By the way I am interested by performance feedback. Version 2.0.1 should be better than 1.x and the next 2.0 should do even better. But I my PC is quite powerful so I don't know if the perf improve for all.

So please report in SmokeScreen thread if you find better perf with this version.

As I have posted in the Smokescreen thread already 2.01 feels more performant than the previous version, at least for me the lags are reduced to a barely noticeable microlag flicker now and then.

Final report on that bug that was happening before, where it was impossible to leave the flight scene. It turned out to be some kind of conflict with an old version of AGM. Using the latest AGM has resolved the issue completely.

Hello, just noticed an issue. NP_lfe_125m_K2XEngine from NovaPunch is displayed with fire when it is shut off. For now fixed it simply by deleting its config from np_hotrockets. Is there any way to fix it properly?

I think I've found a conflict between HotRockets and Near-Future Propulsion. The latter has a part config that changes some parameters of the ModuleEngines module in the stock nuclear rocket... except that HotRockets already removed it. I can imagine similar conflicts happening with other mods that assume stock engines have ModuleEngines.

Given the large number of potential mod conflicts, I propose that the HotRockets configs be modified to use either :FOR[HotRockets] or (if possible) :FINAL, ensuring the ModuleEngines->ModuleEnginesFX conversion will be applied after any non-HotRockets-aware mods' patches. That should prevent conflicts like this one from arising in the future.

Then won't those engine's have just the stock FX then ? so then people will be posting the FX don't work ? can't both mods use ModuleEngines* ?

No, because the HotRockets patch would still get applied.

While using ModuleEngines* is obviously the more flexible solution, it will only work if every mod that affects engines decides to use it. Which, IMHO, will never happen. Hence my suggestion that HotRockets be the one that changes -- that way, the fix only needs to happen at one point.

I'm sorry if this question has been repeated before, how do I change the effect of certain engine? my poodle engine exhaust looks like landing engine from B9 and I don't like how it looks.

-edit

never mind, I've found the way

anyway, why the poodle engine doesn't looks like in the preview?

Edited by OmniNoc

I'm sorry if this question has been repeated before, how do I change the effect of certain engine? my poodle engine exhaust looks like landing engine from B9 and I don't like how it looks.

-edit

never mind, I've found the way

anyway, why the poodle engine doesn't looks like in the preview?

Yes them are old pic on the preview but now the poodle looks more real.

I'm getting a performance issue with turbojets. With both the b9 d-30F7 engine and the stock turbojet I start to lag a lot when their thrust really ramps up. FPS is normal and I'm in the green and as soon as they start increasing thrust into the 150kN up to 200kN+ range i go into the yellow and my framerate really drops. I can solve this by switching my view into the cockpit.

I'm getting a performance issue with turbojets. With both the b9 d-30F7 engine and the stock turbojet I start to lag a lot when their thrust really ramps up. FPS is normal and I'm in the green and as soon as they start increasing thrust into the 150kN up to 200kN+ range i go into the yellow and my framerate really drops. I can solve this by switching my view into the cockpit.

Try updating your SmokeScreen plugin to 2.0.1, if that doesn't help enough use the new built in control panel to reduce the exhaust effects (quantity/physics etc)

It's very beautiful to watch, but also kills my FPS from already a low amount of ~ 40 to about 14, which makes the launch into orbit very hard. Having 3 variants (Low, Middle, High Quality) would be awesome!

Is there any way using this mod that I could scale a stock engine FX for a 15 meter engine I am making? The configs aren't exactly intuitive and I can't find ANY tutorials on how to mess with the configs. Please help, thanks.

How could I replace the massive nasa SRB fx effects with say the Rockomax BACC SRB? I tried copying from the squad config just under "@PART[solidBooster1-1] //Rockomax BACC" until the next engine and pasting it just under "@PART[MassiveSRB] //Really big SRB", replacing the code that was there. However, the nasa SRB still has the same particle fx.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the NASA SRB is still using its stock particle fx and is completely ignoring HotRockets.

Mod list:

• KSPRC
  • KSPRC Dependencies
  • KW Rocketry
  • Procedural Fairings
  • MechJeb
  • KerbCam
  • KerbQuake
  • Mechjeb

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!

Edited by Sheiss

Is there any way using this mod that I could scale a stock engine FX for a 15 meter engine I am making? The configs aren't exactly intuitive and I can't find ANY tutorials on how to mess with the configs. Please help, thanks.

edit the size parameter within your custom effect. You will need Smokescreen plugin which comes with HotRockets. Check out some of my configs to see how they are done.

How could I replace the massive nasa SRB fx effects with say the Rockomax BACC SRB? I tried copying from the squad config just under "@PART[solidBooster1-1] //Rockomax BACC" until the next engine and pasting it just under "@PART[MassiveSRB] //Really big SRB", replacing the code that was there. However, the nasa SRB still has the same particle fx.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the NASA SRB is still using its stock particle fx and is completely ignoring HotRockets.

Mod list:

• KSPRC
  • KSPRC Dependencies
  • KW Rocketry
  • Procedural Fairings
  • MechJeb
  • KerbCam
  • KerbQuake
  • Mechjeb

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!

Use the same method I used for the Nasa patch in this mod. The Nasa srb isn't ignoring anything, I just didn't make a config for it because i think it looks ok.

Use the same method I used for the Nasa patch in this mod. The Nasa srb isn't ignoring anything, I just didn't make a config for it because i think it looks ok.

I apologise for being a moron, but which method is this? I tried step 4 of your guide for getting custom particles, copying the code provided in place of:

MODULE

{

name = ModuleEngines

thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform

in the MassiveSRB config. This resulted in nothing changing, so I tried copying the launch pad smoke section of the BACC SRB from the squad_hotrockets config just after the Model_Particle module. This results in the massive SRB having exhaust emissions even while off and not being able to be turned on.

So clearly I have no idea what I'm doing :P

and anymore help would be massively + hugely appreciated :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.