HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

Is it possible to replicate the Saturn V's F-1 engine effect: the darker brown/golden turbopump exhaust and then the white-hot exhaust, with a flame-like effect at the bottom of the long flare? Then, as it launches further, the flames expand into that beautiful orange flame licking the sides of the S-IC?

Maybe with a bright white effect, like a much stronger effect currently used for the Poodle, for the J-2?

What about tiny shock-cones and Shock-diamonds similar to Hydrogen or Hypergolic fueled rockets?

Edited by GregroxMun

the OP tutorial should be good. I learned enough to create the FX for the Eddie engines. Don't use the "Simulate World Space" checkbox, it's bugged to hell and back, that's mentioned in the OP; also means you are limited to using prebuilt smoke trail FX. other than that, make sure your XYZ velocities are in the local, not world, or you end up with flames going odd directions and you have no idea why. I made that mistake more than a few times.

the OP tutorial should be good. I learned enough to create the FX for the Eddie engines. Don't use the "Simulate World Space" checkbox, it's bugged to hell and back, that's mentioned in the OP; also means you are limited to using prebuilt smoke trail FX. other than that, make sure your XYZ velocities are in the local, not world, or you end up with flames going odd directions and you have no idea why. I made that mistake more than a few times.

Thanks for the info, but the OP wrote:

having an effect with the box checked in addition to one without it will cause HUGE errors in the current version of KSP

Not what you wrote.

It it doesn't work at all, it would be really too bad ! ;.;

Thanks for the info, but the OP wrote:

Not what you wrote.

It it doesn't work at all, it would be really too bad ! ;.;

I tried it a bunch of times with just 1 particleFX using "simulate world space", trying to get more realistic flames on the koffin. it'll work once, if launch right away, then you get the bug where KSC and Kerbin no longer there and all you get is the skybox. if you edit the vessel into orbit, Kerbin will have patches of terrain with odd textures and you won't be able to return to space center. you can shut the game down and restart and try quick load, may or may not work. if you manage to get it into orbit and ignite the engine, you'll get the earlier bug where KSC and Kerbin disappears when you return to space center. All the Squad engines, new or old, use "fx_" smoke trails, which I'm pretty sure are different from what you see in the FX folder. Seems to me the particle emitter you can use in Unity was only intended for the engine flame FX, which only works in the engine's local space.

This is all on a nearly vanilla install of KSP, with only KER and JSI.

also the Smoke trail and flame-out FX are aligned to the Y instead of Z. so if you attach them to thrustTransform, they shoot out the side.

Edited by nli2work

ok thanks.

The worth thing with unity if every time you move not along the right boring path (ie making just parts like Squad and nothing different like non convex shape, smoking engine, ...) you meet bugs, bugs and more bugs ! I called it crapity, I can also use bugity ! Some people in unity forums even talk about the theory that unity dev team make willingly buggy and buggier features they don't want anymore to let people think it was a good thing to just dump them.

To get back to smoke what about the crazy SRB smokes displayed on this thread a while ago ? And InfiniteICE engines ? This is smoke AFAIK. So there's might be a way after all.

ok thanks.

The worth thing with unity if every time you move not along the right boring path (ie making just parts like Squad and nothing different like non convex shape, smoking engine, ...) you meet bugs, bugs and more bugs ! I called it crapity, I can also use bugity ! Some people in unity forums even talk about the theory that unity dev team make willingly buggy and buggier features they don't want anymore to let people think it was a good thing to just dump them.

To get back to smoke what about the crazy SRB smokes displayed on this thread a while ago ? And InfiniteICE engines ? This is smoke AFAIK. So there's might be a way after all.

KSP particle is based off of unity legacy particles. Which I guess is easier to script for. same scenario as Animation vs Animator components I suppose. What's the SRB smoke and InfiniteICE engine you are referring to? From looking at the Squad config files, there are two smoke trails, maybe 3? All the old engines use fx_smokeTrail_light and new engines use fx_smokeTrail_veryLarge. I think most of the problems stem simply from the code base being spread over long dev time and we have old and new code working together and sometimes not.

Edit: Simulate World Space seem to work fine if you put it on a horizontal vehicle ala SPH... but if you try a vertical launch, even from the runway, it bugs out one way or another.

Edited by nli2work

For SRB effects (by nothke, didn't find the exact post):

40bGScU.gif

And ICE engines: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61717-InfiniteDice-ICE-An-alternative-Engine-Module-for-Atmospheric-Vehicles

Both seems to use smoke (or something which look like it at the end).

See you edition, ICE engine works in both way, so the question remains, is this the same smoke effect or something else ? In fact in this case, it looks like to be hardcoded inside the plug-in itself (no effect in parts' config).

Boring and annoying :(.

Loving this lovely mod except it seems to completely turn off any effects from KW or B9 engines, (at least it does the way I have it installed), so I get nothing, just a little glow around the actual engine itself and no exhaust or effects at all. Could anyone help me get this fixed pretty please?

Loving this lovely mod except it seems to completely turn off any effects from KW or B9 engines, (at least it does the way I have it installed), so I get nothing, just a little glow around the actual engine itself and no exhaust or effects at all. Could anyone help me get this fixed pretty please?

That can happen when the particle effect is missing, say by installing a mod that points to a file that doesn't exist. Best bet is to delete HotRockets and reinstall.

That why smokescreen is here. The Simulate World Space checkbox does not bug with it. At it may be fixed in .24, I ll have to check.

Is there a way to make this work with the Atmospheric Sound Enhancement mod? It seems that the new sounds of this mod overwrite the "ASE" config to not have sound while in space or traveling faster than sound.

Not for me. The FX are permanently on and neither engines nor boosters respond to throttle controls. Might be conflict with Coolrockets as I have that installed as wel, but I don't know :/

Yep, I got that too when I installed CoolRockets. Compatability issue.

Without CoolRockets, it does that same thing but only if I load up a stock ship. Otherwise, it works fine- so not totally a compatibility issue.

EDIT: While trying to figure out the problem, I discovered that the engines had two ThrustLimiter settings in the editor.

Edited by RyanRising

I'm putting up a new version with the newest copies of SmokeScreen and ModuleManager. Keep in mind, if there are any issues with those dlls and other mods, they will still need to be resolved by each plugin author.

I run with minimal mods -- just Alarm Clock, Enhanced Nav Ball, Engineer, and Hot Rockets -- and I'm seeing multiple incompatible behaviours (stuck animations, no thrust, doubled controls) even in the new 7.24 version, so I poked around in the .craft files that result if one saves after module manager has done its work, finding out the following:

• ModuleEngines is changed to ModuleEnginesFX
  • The Activate and Shutdown events get " Engine" tacked on the end
  • An extra ModuleEngines object is added after new ModuleTestObject module

It seems to make its changes just fine to new parts, but affected engines on existing craft wind up with the extra engine module, resulting the effects not going away, as well as doubled tweakables bars and activate/shutdown buttons. One gets NaNU fuel flow rate while the other actually works.

It can be fixed by replacing affected engines with fresh ones in the editor, but that doesn't help craft already in flight.

If a ship is saved or launched with the mod in play and the game restarted without the mod, either the missing FX on ModuleEngines or the missing " Engine" on the Activate event is resulting in NaNU fuel flow rate and a non-functioning part. It also winds up with doubled tweakables and activate/shutdown buttons for some reason, but only as displayed -- the two share the same state when one is dragged or toggled.

This happens with every stock part the mod touches, but not the NASA parts for some reason. I'm not sure about SRBs, though other posts imply yes, and I see ModuleEnginesFX on SRBs in squad_hotrockets.cfg, so I'm guessing they are.

This happens with every stock part the mod touches, but not the NASA parts for some reason. I'm not sure about SRBs, though other posts imply yes, and I see ModuleEnginesFX on SRBs in squad_hotrockets.cfg, so I'm guessing they are.

Actually I had this issue as well (I've uninstalled and reverted the save whilst we figure out what's wrong), it didn't seem to impact my ships with the 48-7S engine either... also it impacted some spaceplane-oriented engines and not others, although I didn't take careful note of which had trouble and which didn't...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.