HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

I have now deleted the hotrockets .cfg for KW rockets and the allways on effect has stopped.

I assume I am now running on the default KW rockets effects, is that the same as if I was running the hotrockets .cfg and deleted the KW .cfg?

I have now deleted the hotrockets .cfg for KW rockets and the allways on effect has stopped.

I assume I am now running on the default KW rockets effects, is that the same as if I was running the hotrockets .cfg and deleted the KW .cfg?

More then likey you are just running KW Stock FX and no HotRocket changes the FX but is not up to date for the new KW FX have to try'ed this 1 -----> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65754-HotRockets%21-Particle-FX-Replacement-Tutorial?p=1337183&viewfull=1#post1337183 --- Post #986

I found that the smoke for turbojet engine is causing drag on the planes. while the thrust reading on mechjeb remains the same, it lost about 20-30% of it's power. it not noticable until supercrusing, then the jet will start to nose drive. I commented "runningEffectName = powersmoke" from the config until it's exact cause is identified. despite the config read collision false, this does not actually appear to be true in 0.24.2

hotrockets DOES effect the performance of engines:

my stock replicas of some rockets are using clipped engines to get the look and performance of some reallife engines. but with hotrockets installed clipped eninges don't produce enogh thrust, only one of the engines are working while the other on is working for nothing ... and ther is a heat problem with clipped engines and hotrockets.

The only way I see that hotrockets could impact the engine perf is when you use a mod/MM patch that change the value of the engines. If that patch expect to find a ModuleEngines then it would fail since hotrockets replace them with ModuleEnginesFX

here my two Delta IV heavy rockets, with Orion and test payload. my Delty IV heavy use 2 clipped Skipper engines, so there are a total of 6 clipped Skippers for the 3 coreboosters. without hotrockets, launch is no problem. but with hotrockets, the Delta IV won't leave the launchpad anymore

-> download Delta IV heavy <-

edit: the Delta IV is completly STOCK, no other mods are needed

here my two Delta IV heavy rockets, with Orion and test payload. my Delty IV heavy use 2 clipped Skipper engines, so there are a total of 6 clipped Skippers for the 3 coreboosters. without hotrockets, launch is no problem. but with hotrockets, the Delta IV won't leave the launchpad anymore

-> download Delta IV heavy <-

edit: the Delta IV is completly STOCK, no other mods are needed

Same thing here, If I put one engine inside another, one will not work properly. Will consume fuel, give the FX, will generate electricity... but will not produce ANY thrust. I got confused by this and tested Cupcake designs that also suffer from this issue. Then I uninstalled the mod, and it all runs fine.

Too bad, the effects are really great looking.

I'm looking into that. All I found out so far is that it happens if the engine uses a MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE effect (with or without SmokeScreen). Most likely a stock bug that was hidden by the fact most mods don't use the engineFX yet.

Edit : Well I can't find out why it's doing that. With the EngineFX the clipped engine thrust collide each other and that create a downward force that lower thrust. It does not do that with the old engine module. I printed a bunch of info and the engine transforms are in the same position so it most likely related to a subtle thing like module execution order.

Anyway you can make it work if you disable exhaust damage, which seems a good idea with clipped engine anyway. Here is a MM patch that will do that for all engine when HotRocket! is installed.

@PART[*]:AFTER[MP_Nazari]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
%exhaustDamage = false
}
}

Edited by sarbian

Sorry to bother, but is there somewhere old config for KW? I never switched to the new 5m KW, yet hot-headedly updated HotRockets, and now I ended up with stock KSP effects in KW :( Thanks in advance :)

Click on 'all files' under the download link on the CurseForge page for HotRockets and all prior version archives should be available to download too

Edit; First release of 7.24 is probably the one you want

Edited by NoMrBond

Actually I had an idea just after posting that and I found a fix for SmokeScreen :)

Update smokescreen :

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/SmokeScreen/26/artifact/SmokeScreen-2.4.3.0.zip

So here is what's going on :

When we add the ParticleEmitter it is attached to a gameObject. The gameObject may have a small collider attached to it. This collider ends up in the engine way, so we get the engine exhaust collision effect : an opposite force and some heat (most of it going to the attached parent, aka the engine)

I fixed SmokeScreen so it disable collision on the GameObject used for the effect.

Possible bug report:

When launching multiple ion probes using the latest HotRockets! plugin off of a rocket, switching focus to an out of loaded scene, and switching back, all other parts on the probe will disappear. What I thought was an incompatibility issue between HR! and RT2 has cropped up in a fresh save without RT2.

KSP log

output log

Actually I had an idea just after posting that and I found a fix for SmokeScreen :)

Update smokescreen :

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/SmokeScreen/26/artifact/SmokeScreen-2.4.3.0.zip

So here is what's going on :

When we add the ParticleEmitter it is attached to a gameObject. The gameObject may have a small collider attached to it. This collider ends up in the engine way, so we get the engine exhaust collision effect : an opposite force and some heat (most of it going to the attached parent, aka the engine)

I fixed SmokeScreen so it disable collision on the GameObject used for the effect.

tested hotrpckets with the new smokescreen fix for my rockets with clipped engines ... and .. IT WORKS :D

only problem now is, that during launch, my rockets are a FPS killer ... so much smoke :D

Great, 1 less bug :)

You could try to remove the "launch_hotrockets.cfg" from hotrocket dir, it will remove the bug launch smoke.

sharpspoonful : I can't really look into it atm, but could you try to remove/rename smokescreen dll and try again ? So I can be sure it's related before I take time to search what is going on.

Possible bug report:

When launching multiple ion probes using the latest HotRockets! plugin off of a rocket, switching focus to an out of loaded scene, and switching back, all other parts on the probe will disappear. What I thought was an incompatibility issue between HR! and RT2 has cropped up in a fresh save without RT2.

KSP log

output log

Most of the NREs are being thrown by TextureReplacer. Try temporarily removing TextureReplacer and see if the problem persists.

Most of the NREs are being thrown by TextureReplacer. Try temporarily removing TextureReplacer and see if the problem persists.

Nope, it's still throwing NRE's. The output log is showing something about "Atmopherefromground" shader not being found, and the culling mask "00" not being set.

KSP log

Output log

sharpspoonful : I can't really look into it atm, but could you try to remove/rename smokescreen dll and try again ? So I can be sure it's related before I take time to search what is going on.

You got it boss.

EDIT:So I tested my test craft with and without Smokescreen, with and without Texture Replacer, and finally with and without a renamed SmokeScreen.dll, and everything consistently pointed to SmokeScreen.

Edited by sharpspoonful

You got it boss.

EDIT:So I tested my test craft with and without Smokescreen, with and without Texture Replacer, and finally with and without a renamed SmokeScreen.dll, and everything consistently pointed to SmokeScreen.

Thanks. I have an idea of why it does that. not I just need to fix it.

sharpspoonful I can't seems to duplicate it but I found a place in the code that may be the source anyway.

I made a small change and added a few print to see what is called. Can you try with this SmokeScreen dll and post a log ? https://www.sarbian.com/sarbian/SmokeScreen.dll

I you have a quick save and explain how to duplicate it that would help too.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by sarbian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.