HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

You can spawn particle systems on demand anywhere. See Deadly Reentry for reference.

Thanks.

This works fine using old style stock effects (the Particle Prefabs); specifically I tested "fx_smokeTrail_aeroSpike", which was referenced in the RAPIER config. I'm testing loading the MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE by hand.

Edited by kujuman
progress

The problem with current particles is that you can't control emission. The particle shader makes them always bright, even in the night. A workaround is to create 2 systems, where one has a particle shader (the bright yellow part) and a second has a diffuse shader.

Why don't you write you own shader than? Write/debug it in Unity's IDE, than compile it and push into KSP. It involves some trickery, but it isn't that hard - I've done it for BoBCat's Soyuz DM model which dynamically blends between two sets of diffuse-spec/normal map sets. If you need any help with that, PM me and I would be happy to help.

Ladies and Kermans! I present:

HotRockets! with ModuleManager.

If you know how to install things, you'll be fine. Even includes the latest ModuleManager for your convenience.

This would have been a whole lot simpler if Squad updated their rockets to use the newer "ModuleEnginesFX" instead of "ModuleEngines" - I had to remove the offender and add in the new one, so this may not work with other mods. I give no guarantees about this!

This is great! Is there a way to add this to another mod engine without altering the sound? KW has custom sounds. :)

First off, I love the effects! Makes me drool every time I take off from the pad.

My only problem is, I get much higher heat on all the engines that have effects from this mod. Engines without the nice effects behave normally. I assume this is unintentional--despite the mod being called HotRockets--so I'm trying to figure out what is causing it. While talking on IRC with you earlier, you mentioned needing to udpate to the latest Deadly Reentry, which I did (now running DeadlyReentryCont_v4.3) and I also updated FAR (now at FerramAerospaceResearch_v0.12.5.2). While this fixed the other problem I was having with your mod installed (engines exploding under even low G loads), they still heat up much faster than expected.

I have 3 versions of ModManager installed simultaneously; 1.5 for RemoteTech 2, 1.5.5 for Deadly Reentry Continued, and 1.5.6 for FAR and your mod, which I'm sure isn't helping. But, all the other mods appear to play together correctly if I just remove the MP_Nazari directory. Any ideas? :huh:

Edited by Orum

I've updated it with a look closer to stock:

http://i.imgur.com/Zrd8XL9.png

the exhaust detaches from the nozzle. It shouldn't. also, the ehaust should get bigger, then smaller, not widest at the nozzle images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEVh3kou_Z5FAI36uGmfeX0QByNUKjV91gfCHHh9hTF-GiLL5RbA Also, the poodle should have a fint red/pink aerozine rocket effect. The poodle is used as an AJ10-137 engine, that is, as a Service Propulsion System. THe SPS was hypergolic, used Aerozine. I think somewhere there should be an engine that uses a faint blue steam exhaust. The LV-N 's exhaust should be a very faint blue superheated hydrogen.

Edited by GregroxMun

YES! YES! Anything else you would want to add? I mean, I would like to take some of these engines, and make them way-overpowered (for use in my AAR). Anything else you can think of to make them more... I don't know... Futuristic?

I intend to make an atmos-only version, a ssto version, and one that is more... Purple. Or red. Whichever one looks more cool to you.

@GregroxMun The problem with the detaching of the nozzle is already known. If you had bothered with reading the previous page you would know that Nazari admitted he made an error and is going to fix it

It was from moving objects in unity and forgetting to fix them : / update incoming...

But I must admit that the poodle should get a better effect.

Edited by DasBananenbrot

Remove all MM.dll but the newest one (1.5.6)It only works one MM.dll at a time. And even if an older MM version is provided by a mod it should still work with the newest one

I did remove the old MM DLLs, but the problem still persists. Trying without DRE now, stay tuned...

Update: Seems this mod and Deadly Reentry Continued are mutually exclusive, if you want either to work correctly. If anyone knows a solution, let us know.

Edited by Orum

the exhaust detaches from the nozzle. It shouldn't. also, the ehaust should get bigger, then smaller, not widest at the nozzle https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEVh3kou_Z5FAI36uGmfeX0QByNUKjV91gfCHHh9hTF-GiLL5RbA Also, the poodle should have a fint red/pink aerozine rocket effect. The poodle is used as an AJ10-137 engine, that is, as a Service Propulsion System. THe SPS was hypergolic, used Aerozine. I think somewhere there should be an engine that uses a faint blue steam exhaust. The LV-N 's exhaust should be a very faint blue superheated hydrogen.

As far as I know, there has been service propulsion systems that did not use Aerozine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

While yes, the poodle's exhaust (and also the LV-909's, but to a lesser extent) looks weird. It's just too... long. It may have something to do with the poodle not having a proper nozzle and thus being veryt inefficient.

About the nuclear engines, glowing red might not be realistic, but it's certainly cool. And hydrogen blue should not be the color used, methane is much more practical for use in nukers, it actually has a higher stage delta-v on average due to being much denser, thus requiring smaller fuel tanks. Methane is also less cryogenic than hydrogen, but has a lower specific impulse.

I've only had one issue so far. Kerbal Engineer has no idea what's going on with my engines. In the D-V readout it says the old "--" and Mechjeb is saying 0, 0 m/s. Is anybody getting similar results or did I goof up the installation?

Same here with Kerbal Engineer at least. I don't have mechjeb tho.

Any solutions? I'm sending Jeb to the Mun gang, it's importat work! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.