HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

Ty Raptor. I am looking for bugs/suggestions on these 3 effects of course so check out all of the engines. The Poodle and the Nuke do not have smoke.

I checked out the other 2 smoke effects on my system. Nothing gave me any extra noticeable lag. I don't think it's helping my overall stutter (my system stops for a split second every so often then resumes), but this happens with or without HotRockets/SmokeScreen installed.

Oh, and just in case, my specs for reference:

Mac OS X 10.9, 2.8 GHz quad-core i7, 4 GB RAM, 512 MB oldish video

The effects "feel" right to me. Which is what you were going for, I think. The jet flame effects are my favorite, I think, simply because it improves so much from stock. Now I just wish my mod parts had these same effects! Guess I'll be tinkering with .cfg files now... :)

yes I've done that but nothing happened

You need to make sure you have a ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll in your GameData folder, and you need both the MP_Nazari folder and the SmokeScreen folder in your GameData folder. These only replace the stock engine FX, so if you're looking at a mod engine it won't be any different. So:

GameData/

-ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll

-MP_Nazari/

--FX/

---(bunch of files)

--MP_Nazari.cfg

-SmokeScreen/

--SmokeScreen.dll

If you've got other ModuleManager configs that change the stock engines for other mods, they may conflict with this. Not likely, but possible.

I just installed the newest version of this plugin along with the KW rocketry additions and everything looks great except for a few engines. I did a test with all the engines and saw that the poodle's exhaust wasn't displaying like the image on the front page of the mod. Also, the 1.25 fx look a bit disconnected.

Smokescreen and module manager 1.5.6 are both installed. I also tried upping the render quality, but that didn't do anything. Maybe it's because I have half texture quality? I know it shouldn't matter, but I'm on a Mac with NVIDIA GeForce 9400.

Also, the KW rocketry fx are all detached from the engine nozzle. They look epic, so please fix :) I'll try it myself, but I'm new to KSP's config style.

(Wow I'm stupid. I didn't even include the images of the problems with the engines. Can a mod combine my two posts?)

Here are images of the exhaust flames for all of the liquid fuel engines:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT: Tried to fix pictures, new to forum so I followed this guide, but I can't get it to work. So I guess click here to see the pictures? Hopefully?

EDIT 2: Thx NoMrBond, got slideshow working.

Edited by Guiltyspark
How do picture? :)

I just installed the newest version of this plugin along with the KW rocketry additions and everything looks great except for a few engines. I did a test with all the engines and saw that the poodle's exhaust wasn't displaying like the image on the front page of the mod. Also, the 1.25 fx look a bit disconnected.

Smokescreen and module manager 1.5.6 are both installed. I also tried upping the render quality, but that didn't do anything. Maybe it's because I have half texture quality? I know it shouldn't matter, but I'm on a Mac with NVIDIA GeForce 9400.

Also, the KW rocketry fx are all detached from the engine nozzle. They look epic, so please fix :) I'll try it myself, but I'm new to KSP's config style.

(Wow I'm stupid. I didn't even include the images of the problems with the engines. Can a mod combine my two posts?)

Here are images of the exhaust flames for all of the liquid fuel engines:

http://imgur.com/a/kn0NA

EDIT: Tried to fix pictures, new to forum so I followed this guide, but I can't get it to work. So I guess click here to see the pictures? Hopefully?

EDIT 2: Thx NoMrBond, got slideshow working.

Where did you get the KW rocketry addons?

Where did you get the KW rocketry addons?

Post #316 has them here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65754-HotRockets%21-Particle-FX-Replacement-Tutorial?p=976035&viewfull=1#post976035

I actually have a version based on that with working SmokeScreen configurations as well, although I haven't "tweaked" them to be optimal with the KW engines yet (they're basically copies of the equivalent stock engine configuration). Since I did base it on Horus's configurations, I've asked his permission to post them here.

Getting the liquid engines to work is actually relatively easy, it's the solids that will be trickier.

I actually have a version based on that with working SmokeScreen configurations as well...

Since your working on an update, can you fix the offset bug? The emission values under model_multi_particle and prefab_particle need to be tweaked. I would do it myself and tell you the values, but my KSP takes >3 minutes to load.

Edited by Guiltyspark

Since your working on an update, can you fix the offset bug? The emission values under model-multi-particle and prefab_particle need to be tweaked. I would do it myself and tell you the values, but my KSP takes >3 minutes to load.

I was going to ask how to fix that. Are these the values that need tweaking?

emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.25 0.99
emission = 0.75 1.21
emission = 1.0 1.25

emission = 0.0 0.0  // Curve for emission like stock
emission = 0.07 0.0 // Curve for emission like stock
emission = 0.2 0.4 // Curve for emission like stock

Actually, I just realized those are the emission curves, not the offset values. Apparently, Nazari used no offsets when making the flame.

EDIT: Couldn't sleep, went config diving and found that under ModuleEnginesFX, there's something called fxOffset, which is bugged according to Horus. It's worth a try though since its still used in Nazari's config and in the stock config.

Here's the portion of ModuleEnginesFX from Skipper

name = ModuleEnginesFX
//engineID = rocketengine
runningEffectName = powersmoke
directThrottleEffectName = powerflame
thrustVectorTransformName = NozzleTransform
ehxaustDamage = true
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 4900
heatProduction = 680
fxOffset = 0, 0, 1.2

EDIT: Noticed stock used fxOffset under ModuleEngines, HotRockets in general uses fxOffset under ModuleEngineFX. Is there even an fxOffset parameter for ModuleEnginesFX?

Edited by Guiltyspark

I would be so happy if you share the configs once they are done. Or if Horus does not give his permission for public sharing - just PM me with them, once you've fixed them. Unfortunately doing the configs for KW myself would mean a few days, since I don't even know what to tweak in all those parameters.

Many thanks, live long and prosper in advance.

Actually, I just realized those are the emission curves, not the offset values. Apparently, Nazari used no offsets when making the flame.

EDIT: Couldn't sleep, went config diving and found that under ModuleEnginesFX, there's something called fxOffset is bugged according to Horus. It's worth a try though since its still used in Nazari's config and in the stock config.

Here's the portion of ModuleEnginesFX form Skipper

name = ModuleEnginesFX
//engineID = rocketengine
runningEffectName = powersmoke
directThrottleEffectName = powerflame
thrustVectorTransformName = NozzleTransform
ehxaustDamage = true
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 4900
heatProduction = 680
fxOffset = 0, 0, 1.2

I actually tried monkeying with the fxOffset value - it does appear to be bugged, unfortunately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.