HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

Alright I figured out how to add these to mod engines. The only problem I have is that they are kind of slow. If you could speed them up a bit that would be nice. :)

There was already a post from Nazari1382 saying fixes for the particle speed where incoming, they might even be in the new release that just went up on spaceport with the aerospace effects?

Alright I figured out how to add these to mod engines. The only problem I have is that they are kind of slow. If you could speed them up a bit that would be nice. :)

You did download the 2nd version right? Could you tell me which one seems slow because there are a few different speeds. But they will be tweaked more. The thing is that they look like more of a solid column of fire if they are set lower.

You did download the 2nd version right? Could you tell me which one seems slow because there are a few different speeds. But they will be tweaked more. The thing is that they look like more of a solid column of fire if they are set lower.

Nvm I just downloaded it. I can't wait for more effects to be added. :)

I don't know if anybody else had this problem, but when I installed everything, my nuke engines overheated almost immediately and exploded. The only way that I was able to fix this, was by removing this mod, and replacing the Squad folder with a backup.

I've only had one issue so far. Kerbal Engineer has no idea what's going on with my engines. In the D-V readout it says the old "--" and Mechjeb is saying 0, 0 m/s. Is anybody getting similar results or did I goof up the installation?

Ladies and Kermans! I present:

HotRockets! with ModuleManager.

If you know how to install things, you'll be fine. Even includes the latest ModuleManager for your convenience.

This would have been a whole lot simpler if Squad updated their rockets to use the newer "ModuleEnginesFX" instead of "ModuleEngines" - I had to remove the offender and add in the new one, so this may not work with other mods. I give no guarantees about this!

Just tried it...I have found a bug?? where it shows liquid fuel twice in the bottom left hand corner..

I just installed the update into the gamedata folder but didnt restore the engines cfg changes from the original version of this mod...was I suppose to revert the engine cfg's to the original Squad ones?

Edit

I found the issue...You must remove the original files and revert back to the original Squad cfg's.

Edited by Newbinator

Looking at a number of shuttle launch videos, the fire exhaust from the SRBs looks as puffy as the smoke trail it turns to. The smoke particle may start out as a bright white with edge glow and turn into white cloud smoke. It could be the same texture, just with an adjusted gamma for extreme white brightness.

nasa-space-shuttle-atlantis-launch-sts-125.jpg

Edited by Vespene

With regard to having dust kicked up during landing, rover dust trails, and smoke from the Launchpad, etc, testing I've done shows that these should work, but they look like they can't be added to preexisting parts. Parts need to have a free Transform in the model, which needs to be added in Unity (there might be some way to add it in code properly, but I haven't found it yet.)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by kujuman

If you know how to install things, you'll be fine. Even includes the latest ModuleManager for your convenience.

This would have been a whole lot simpler if Squad updated their rockets to use the newer "ModuleEnginesFX" instead of "ModuleEngines" - I had to remove the offender and add in the new one, so this may not work with other mods. I give no guarantees about this!

Thank you really much :D

Looking at a number of shuttle launch videos, the fire exhaust from the SRBs looks as puffy as the smoke trail it turns to. The smoke particle may start out as a bright white with edge glow and turn into white cloud smoke. It could be the same texture, just with an adjusted gamma for extreme white brightness.

http://roboticsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/nasa-space-shuttle-atlantis-launch-sts-125.jpg

I am well aware of the "puffiness" of the smoke and I am using real images and videos for my particles. The problem with current particles is that you can't control emission. The particle shader makes them always bright, even in the night. A workaround is to create 2 systems, where one has a particle shader (the bright yellow part) and a second has a diffuse shader. But multiple systems are tricky and buggy to make. We will probably be able to make them in a next PartTools fix.

Another problem is that all particles are "flat". There are no normals and you can't really recreate the proper lighting, like the "pillar of smoke" look, where one side is lit in the sun and the other is in the shadow, which would look drastically different if it was possible.

So anything I am doing right now could really be termed "early experiments"

i tried to change b9-jet engine,i get sound and heat animation change but no flame,can you tell me what i´m doing wrong

cfg for MM:

@PART[B9_Engine_Jet_Turbojet] //D-30F7 Turbojet Engine
{
!fx_exhaustLight_yellow
!fx_smokeTrail_light
!fx_exhaustSparks_flameout
!sound_vent_medium
!sound_jet_low
!sound_jet_deep
!sound_vent_soft
!sound_explosion_low
!MODULE[ModuleEngines]{}
EFFECTS
{
powerflame
{
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
{
name = flamejet3
modelName = MP_Nazari/FX/flamejet3
transformName = thrustTransform
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.66 0.0
emission = 0.69 1.55
emission = 1.0 1.65
speed = 0.0 1.45
speed = 1.0 0.55
}
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_jet_deep
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 1.0 1.0
pitch = 0.0 0.2
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = true
}
}
powersmoke
{
PREFAB_PARTICLE
{
name = flamethrust2
prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_light
transformName = smokePoint
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.0
emission = 0.075 0.25
emission = 1.0 1.25
speed = 0.0 0.25
speed = 1.0 1.0
localOffset = 0, 0, 1
}
}
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_medium
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
disengage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_soft
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
flameout
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_explosion_low
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
//engineID = rocketengine
runningEffectName = powersmoke
directThrottleEffectName = powerflame
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 225
heatProduction = 600
useEngineResponseTime = True
engineAccelerationSpeed = 0.12
engineDecelerationSpeed = 0.21
useVelocityCurve = True
fxOffset = 0, 0, 1.13
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 1
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = IntakeAir
ratio = 15
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 1000
key = 0.3 1800
key = 1 2000
}
velocityCurve
{
key = 1000 0 0 0
key = 850 0.2 0 0
key = 0 1 0 0
}
}

Edited by Supernovy
added code tags

i tried to change b9-jet engine,i get sound and heat animation change but no flame,can you tell me what i´m doing wrong

cfg for MM:

It took me longer than it should have, but I saw the problem. Bac9 is using a new name for the thrust transform. You need to change it in the first effect and the engine module. Also, add a 3rd bracket at the end of the entire block for the part.

@PART[B9_Engine_Jet_Turbojet] //D-30F7 Turbojet Engine
{
!fx_exhaustLight_yellow
!fx_smokeTrail_light
!fx_exhaustSparks_flameout
!sound_vent_medium
!sound_jet_low
!sound_jet_deep
!sound_vent_soft
!sound_explosion_low
!MODULE[ModuleEngines]{}
EFFECTS
{
powerflame
{
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
{
name = flamejet3
modelName = MP_Nazari/FX/flamejet3
transformName = thrust_transform
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.66 0.0
emission = 0.69 1.55
emission = 1.0 1.65
speed = 0.0 1.45
speed = 1.0 0.55
}
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_jet_deep
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 1.0 1.0
pitch = 0.0 0.2
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = true
}
}
powersmoke
{
PREFAB_PARTICLE
{
name = flamethrust2
prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_light
transformName = smokePoint
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.0
emission = 0.075 0.25
emission = 1.0 1.25
speed = 0.0 0.25
speed = 1.0 1.0
localOffset = 0, 0, 1
}
}
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_medium
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
disengage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_soft
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
flameout
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_explosion_low
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
//engineID = rocketengine
runningEffectName = powersmoke
directThrottleEffectName = powerflame
thrustVectorTransformName = thrust_transform
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 225
heatProduction = 600
useEngineResponseTime = True
engineAccelerationSpeed = 0.12
engineDecelerationSpeed = 0.21
useVelocityCurve = True
fxOffset = 0, 0, 1.13
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 1
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = IntakeAir
ratio = 15
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 1000
key = 0.3 1800
key = 1 2000
}
velocityCurve
{
key = 1000 0 0 0
key = 850 0.2 0 0
key = 0 1 0 0
}
}
}

HP1ZHIU.png

Edited by Supernovy
added code tags

I've just put it in gamedata, is this correct? If it is then, THANK YOU!

Edited by Boamere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.