HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

Finally a good reason to use the poodle!

I'm also glad people are working on new SRB effects, they look great.

Request:

Can you make "dust effects" when landing on places like the Mun? Somehow activating a dust particle FX when you reach a certain low altitude with the engine on?

Obviously I'm not developing these, but I think that would require a custom plugin. However, I don't think it would be "particle"-ly difficult to write :P But it would require having different effects for each body, and some other things.

How about making the particle effects larger as the atmosphere thins? With FAR particularly..

Other then that I was thinking about some like this last night. LOVE the SRB effects.

Another question.. Is it possible to lower the speed at which the condensation cloud forms? Over powered rocket the other day just looked.. right. Until it caught on fire.

Request:

Can you make "dust effects" when landing on places like the Mun? Somehow activating a dust particle FX when you reach a certain low altitude with the engine on?

An example can be found on this video:

(Around 6:00 min)

I am planning to do these as soon as someone with plugin making skills joins. And not only this but also expanding exhaust according to pressure, condensation between multiple engines, proper condensation on engines in high altitude (not anymore near the ground), ground and water billowing effects, launch pad side exhausts, reentry long duration trails and maybe more..

I am planning to do these as soon as someone with plugin making skills joins. And not only this but also expanding exhaust according to pressure, condensation between multiple engines, proper condensation on engines in high altitude (not anymore near the ground), ground and water billowing effects, launch pad side exhausts, reentry long duration trails and maybe more..

I'd be willing to hop on, at least to get you started (there are better plugin writers than myself). I think the launch pad side exhausts and the dust would be possible and within my abilities, I don't know about the rest. In any case, I'm working on a proof of concept dust kickup plugin at the moment.

I love those FX! I have a question, though. Could you make at least one more set for hypergolic rockets? There are none in the stock game, but FASA has plenty of good examples, for instance.

Also, did you see RealFuels mod? A collaboration would be really awesome, especially if the engine FX would change with the engine type. Your NERVA exhaust does a good job of looking like hydrolox exhaust of Delta IV, while Mainsail resembles most kerolox rockets. Solids are spot-on, too. Poodle looks kerolox, too, albeit a bit less realistic. You could make a Space Shuttle-style exhaust (faint, blue-ish hydrolox, it burned hotter than Delta IV), and a hypergolic-type one (see Proton and Titan, despite different fuels, flames looked similar). Perhaps also a clear, stron blue one, for methane (

) and related fuels. There's a huge amount of fuels and their combinations in RSS, so additional effects would greatly enhance the mod.

This is a nice looking mod but I think the particles should move much faster as they seem like they are in slow motion. If you cut the engine and move the spacecraft, what is left of the exhaust trail also moves with the spacecraft. Speeding it up would make it less noticeable.

23gVMtI.gif

Are you planning to add support for other mods?

The FX support other mods, if a mod author or user edits their cfg files to point to my fx.

Edit: just uploaded the new version to Spaceport

Edited by Nazari1382

This looks so awesome :D A version number and a changelog on the OP would be nice :wink: But one thing that bugs me atm is that it edits the Squad Folder so much (Easy reomval of mods is what I like to preserve)... Isn't it possible via ModuleManager?

@Nothke

This looks so nice :D I hope it will be available soon

Edited by DasBananenbrot

Request:

An example can be found on this video:

(Around 6:00 min)

Those particular dust effects are inaccurate: The lack of atmosphere on the Moon means no gases for the dust to interact with to form clouds. Instead, when it is blasted away, the particles travel in a parabolic arc, similar to the way heavier particles like sand or gravel fly here on Earth.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.