HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

First I want to say thank you for making the engines look much nicer.

However, I want to add my name to the list of those people who think the flame effects are way too slow. It's weird seeing the flames dribble out at a leisurely pace while the smoke effects are flying away at Mach 1+. It may make the flames look more contiguous, but it's just too weird for me. In real rockets, the flames should be coming out faster than the rocket is travelling (what with equal and opposite reactions and whatnot).

Thats what the FX was changed to so it's more real in space, There is very little if any flame in space.

Edit-- I wish all the engine at a set Atmosphere would look like the poodles FX is.

If you pay attention to the exhaust nozzle, the camera angle makes it hard to see, but the flame should be still visible within the nozzle. You can see the flame just licking past the the edge of the nozzle. Albeit, not a long flashy tail but there should be visible flame within the nozzle cone.

Edited by Eskandare

This seems to be an issue with Firespitter. The propellerSpinner module interacts with moduleEngines, not ModuleEnginesFX.

This might be caused by the craft file containing moduleEnginesFX(saved with HotRockets installed) and the engine no longer using that module name with the stock cfg.

I'll go ahead and investigate this further. :)

Edit: Ok I see what it is now. I guess there isn't much of a way around that. Unless there is a way to trick the cfg string to have moduleEngines exist as well as ModuleEnginesFX.

Edited by Eskandare

First I want to say thank you for making the engines look much nicer.

However, I want to add my name to the list of those people who think the flame effects are way too slow. It's weird seeing the flames dribble out at a leisurely pace while the smoke effects are flying away at Mach 1+. It may make the flames look more contiguous, but it's just too weird for me. In real rockets, the flames should be coming out faster than the rocket is travelling (what with equal and opposite reactions and whatnot).

I've not seen complaints about speed lately. Which effects are moving at a leisurely pace? Trying to make a particle effect move at a speed close to that of a real life rocket does not make a good looking effect. The point of the effect is that the particles are additive. They are bright when they have a chance to overlap each other, instead of streaming out as a line of particles. The harder you try to keep particle count low, the more important this is. Also, the smoke particles are based on position in the world, so they will always appear faster. Some fixes have been made in Smokescreen to fight the problems this causes visually. You can change speed settings in the included cfg files and see how they work out.

I've not seen complaints about speed lately. Which effects are moving at a leisurely pace? Trying to make a particle effect move at a speed close to that of a real life rocket does not make a good looking effect. The point of the effect is that the particles are additive. They are bright when they have a chance to overlap each other, instead of streaming out as a line of particles. The harder you try to keep particle count low, the more important this is. Also, the smoke particles are based on position in the world, so they will always appear faster. Some fixes have been made in Smokescreen to fight the problems this causes visually. You can change speed settings in the included cfg files and see how they work out.

Question, your fx animator for your mu files are based off of ModuleEngineFX right? (still trying to find a workaround for the B9 fan animation)

Edited by Eskandare

Anyone done a MM config for the AIES engines that they would like to share

Me too please!

I have just downloaded Hot Rockets (yet to try it out) but most of my standard lifters use the AIES engines. It would be a shame if they get left out.

Perhaps as no-one appears to have replied to you Virtualgenius you may have done a config yourself by now?

The error is that there is a space in one of the names @PART[Courier Solid Rocket] // Courier I SRB if you made it look like this fixes the error @PART[Courier?Solid Rocket] // Courier I SRB

That didnt seem to help mine...

zxSKSl1.jpg

MM v2.0.9

That didnt seem to help mine...

http://i.imgur.com/zxSKSl1.jpg

MM v2.0.9

I forgot a space @PART[Courier?Solid Rocket] should have been @PART[Courier?Solid?Rocket] and lol did you read your screen patches 918 and found 173 error but it say's 346 erros in gamedata/Mp_Nazari/MP_Nazari.cfg did you add a bunch too it ? Point says found errors 173 and then says 346 error in.

Edit and there was a bug, I think with that MM there is a new out now 2.1.0

Edit - Great glad your all good now :)

Edited by Mecripp2

I forgot a space @PART[Courier?Solid Rocket] should have been @PART[Courier?Solid?Rocket] and lol did you read your screen patches 918 and found 173 error but it say's 346 erros in gamedata/Mp_Nazari/MP_Nazari.cfg did you add a bunch too it ? Point says found errors 173 and then says 346 error in.

Edit and there was a bug, I think with that MM there is a new out now 2.1.0

i was bewildered by the number of errors too, ill go grab the new MM

yep, 0 errors with 2.1

Edited by BobsYerUncle

New version is up on Kerbal.Curseforge.com

Updated 5/6/2014

Added support for AIES, SXT, KSPX, RLA Stockalike and Ions, Kerbx, Nasa pack, and Procedural Parts SRB.

Improved Jet engine sound effects

Added experimental effect files for use with Real Solar System

http://www.curse.com/plugins/kerbal/220207-hotrockets-particle-fx-replacement

http://www./download/1zgyg845y6b86a6/HotRockets_7_Nazari_fix.zip

Edited by Nazari1382

Do you have to install this differently from other mods? If so has someone made a tutorial on how to install this?

download off of the curse link again, it was a bugged zip. You need to have MP_Nazari and Smokescreen folders in your GameData folder, and a modulemanager.dll in the GameDatafolder as well.

Okay, so a strange bug I encountered after upgrading to a new version (I wiped the old folder first just in case)

qy7oiwi.png6KTQJsG.png

This isn't happening with any of my mod engines. Also, when I go to put the engine on a ship, this happens:

t0pTVPF.png

It doesn't even show up in the staging. And when I went to launch it:

BSueivR.pngib0svcH.png

Also nothing can be attached radially to any of the invisible parts (hence why the clamp is on the decoupler). Releasing the clamp caused the invisible items to phase through the pad. The decoupler exploded as normal.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so is there a fix for it?

(Sorry I couldn't figure out how to push the images under a spoiler)

Edited by hujgup

Something weird is happening. After installing the mod, whenever I launch a rocket (KW only), I get at least three major lag spikes every second, as if the game was trying to load something. The debug menu doesn't show any sign of bugs. It doesn't happen after removing the KW Rocketry .CFG. Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there any talk about compatibility with Taverio's Pizza and Aerospace pack yet? Or at the least the ability to rescale the effects.

I haven't looked at taverio's yet but you could make a config if you like. Editing these lines will rescale the emitted graphic:

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST

{

name = flamethrust

modelName = MP_Nazari/FX/effectname

transformName = thrustTransform

emission = 0.0 0.0

emission = 0.05 0.75

emission = 0.75 0.95

emission = 1.0 1.00

speed = 0.0 1.45

speed = 1.0 1.50

energy = 0.0 0.12

energy = 1.0 0.36

size = 0.0 0.5

size = 1.0 0.5

scale = 0.0 0.5

scale = 1.0 0.5

offset = 0.0 0.2

offset = 1.0 0.2

}

Tried out Hotrockets finally since it's a dependency for KSPRC pack, and I tried launching a probe core with a small stock SRB and had no thrust sound for some reason. I'm also using ASE so maybe that's the problem?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.