HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

There is actually one exception to this... if any of the engines are modeled as liquid hydrogen/oxygen engines (I don't know if any are right now), there can be a bit of a gap.

http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/2017/why-do-the-exhaust-flames-from-cryogenic-stage-engines-appear-to-be-separated-fr

http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/7751/are-rocket-exhaust-flames-ever-opaque

Yeah I'm aware of that, however representing this by spawning the exhaust effect down away from the engine bell is in my opinion lazy and really doesn't look very good, I would much rather see people making use of different animations instead, for instance take a look at this gallery the effects used for the LV-909 and the Mainsail.

Does anyone know the reason behind the rocket effects not scaling correctly with TweakScale? Even with the configs for HotRockets provided by other mods and the updated ones I found through the last few pages they aren't scaling right. I checked the configs of some of them and saw the the scaling was suppose to be "1.0" but it doesn't seem to be scaling at all. Any tips on how to go about diagnosing this or fixing it?

Does anyone know the reason behind the rocket effects not scaling correctly with TweakScale? Even with the configs for HotRockets provided by other mods and the updated ones I found through the last few pages they aren't scaling right. I checked the configs of some of them and saw the the scaling was suppose to be "1.0" but it doesn't seem to be scaling at all. Any tips on how to go about diagnosing this or fixing it?

Tweak scale only effects part scale and attachment nodes as far as I am aware. Tweak scale would have to be coded to go in look for scalable engine effects and scale them up. The problem with this is that with the curve's and such that are involved with HR's atmo expansion stuff you won't really get any kind of reliable results.

This would be something that needs to be handled on the TweakScale side.

Tweak scale only effects part scale and attachment nodes as far as I am aware. Tweak scale would have to be coded to go in look for scalable engine effects and scale them up. The problem with this is that with the curve's and such that are involved with HR's atmo expansion stuff you won't really get any kind of reliable results.

This would be something that needs to be handled on the TweakScale side.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply :)

I think I have the settings for first-stage engines down pretty well... the current test now includes the 3.75m four-nozzle KW engine as well.

http://pastebin.com/TTgH7cDj

(No gallery since it's pretty similar to the 2.5m I posted earlier, except scaled up)

Now I'm going to see what I can do about the upper stage engines... I'll check back in later when I have some good results.

Nazari, please add effects and launch smoke for the NASA SRB, as you did with the other SRBs! I really want to see the effects because I am making a cinematic video.

And if you guys know how to add the launch smoke in (even if you are not Nazari), could you guys teach me how? Thanks! :D

Edited by deepspacecreeper

Nazari, please add effects and launch smoke for the NASA SRB, as you did with the other SRBs! I really want to see the effects because I am making a cinematic video.

And if you guys know how to add the launch smoke in (even if you are not Nazari), could you guys teach me how? Thanks! :D

Nazari is on a leave of absence of unknown time. Everything you ask for has already been provided by me in this post. Note however that this config is based on Arika_R's latest atmosphere curve and that the 4 engine cluster is currently bugged.

So actually, when are we going to have FX for the bigass NASA SRB? I'm adding its name under the MM patch for one of the KW SRBs, but it isn't very successful.

And, secondly, the FX for KW Vesta VR-1 isn't very great in space (or vacuum, either way), but due to its high Isp, there's many I know of who use it in space.

Edited by Wavechaser

I'm actually working on some improvements for the upper-stage engines as well... I think what I have looks better than the original ones, but I have no idea if they're realistic in any way.

Let me try and tweak them some more before I post them. I've tried hard to look for any pictures or diagrams of what the plume from a real-life upper stage should be, but I haven't found any. Does anyone have any suggestions for that?

I've a problem that I'm currently unable to find a solution... I play with KSP 0.90 and all the engines trails and smoke effects are made of colored -even if the dominant color is white- big pixels. Did I miss something obvious such as "hot rockets don't work with KSP 0.90", or "install ...... first" ?

Thanks a lot for any answer and good flights !

Romfly

Edit 1 : Okay, so installing texture manager seems to have fixed the problem, maybe it will help some others with the same problem :)

Edited by Romfly

Hi guys,

This is probably already answered before, but I'm wondering if the KW rocketry engines could have the same huge plume effect during ignition as the stock engines have already? If I want to do this, how do go about enabling this for KW rocketry engines?

Hi guys,

This is probably already answered before, but I'm wondering if the KW rocketry engines could have the same huge plume effect during ignition as the stock engines have already? If I want to do this, how do go about enabling this for KW rocketry engines?

There's a configuration file that can do it. It's somewhere in this thread, but when I get home I'll post it for you.

There's a configuration file that can do it. It's somewhere in this thread, but when I get home I'll post it for you.

It is part of the pack I created which I linked to a few posts up from here clicky ;). It doesn't say it there because deepspacecreeper wanted something different, but it includes Squad, NASA and KW configs by Akira_R.

Edited by Flashblade

It is part of the pack I created which I linked to a few posts up from here clicky ;). It doesn't say it there because deepspacecreeper wanted something different, but it includes Squad, NASA and KW configs by Akira_R.

Oops. Didn't realize that.

Okay, I am too lazy to sift through more than just a few pages. Are there any expanding plume configs available for stock engines? Ven's Stock Revamp has a config, but what about the stock engines?

Not yet, as far as I know... once I get a good handle on upper-stage engines I may do that as an experiment next.

Okay, I am too lazy to sift through more than just a few pages. Are there any expanding plume configs available for stock engines? Ven's Stock Revamp has a config, but what about the stock engines?
Not yet, as far as I know... once I get a good handle on upper-stage engines I may do that as an experiment next.

This is incorrect, we have had this for quite awhile now, my basic config can be acquired here

Thanks for this, it works perfectly. Now, I just need expansion plume effects for KW rocketry engines and I'll be a happy camper :)

Thanks for this, it works perfectly. Now, I just need expansion plume effects for KW rocketry engines and I'll be a happy camper :)

OH WAIT. I just flew a rocket with the Titan engine from KW Rocketry and the flames DO seem to expand at higher altitudes. Thanks so much for this!

OH WAIT. I just flew a rocket with the Titan engine from KW Rocketry and the flames DO seem to expand at higher altitudes. Thanks so much for this!

IIRC correctly all the flames have expanded a bit since the start. My tweaks have always been aimed at making them much more... dramatic.

Just look at this, GLORIOUS .... ENGINE EXHAUST UHHHH!

screenshot485.jpg

Sorry, I've always loved the videos of rocket launches from NASA and SpaceX, especially once the rocket is in space/vacuum, so having this in game is surreal for me :) Thanks to all developers and community members for the configs.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me if there's a way to change the angle of PREFAB_PARTICLE?

PREFAB_PARTICLE
{
prefabName = fx_exhaustFlame_yellow
transformName = thrustTransform
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.0
emission = 0.075 0.25
emission = 1.0 1.25
speed = 0.0 0.5
speed = 1.0 1.2
}

I'm trying to add the RT-10 fx to an sls booster but this happens :(

n4uie1y.jpg

Can someone tell me if there's a way to change the angle of PREFAB_PARTICLE?

"snip"

shure:

localRotation = 0,0,0

You should address your problem in smokescreen thread.

PS:in order for me to help you,you need to post whole *cfg for specific booster and where is part coming from so i can test it .

Edited by sebi.zzr

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.