[1.1.2] [v0.4] Resource Details in Tracking Center

avivey

This is a tiny scratch for an itch I've been having: Which of the 25 "Orbiting Fuel Cache"s is empty and needs collecting?

mZI2NBK.png

This plugin just shows the resources state of the selected ship in the Tracking Center.

Long term plans, if I have the time, are to add a picture of the vessel, to make selecting one of many ships even easier.

Install with CKAN: ckan.exe install TCShipInfo

Download from Google Drive: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B1i-cKjnAQUHUmN4RXFfbXRacW8

source: (Google Drive): https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B1i-cKjnAQUHMjZZNlNYY3RRLWs

License: Public Domain.

Installation: Extract the archive so that TCShipInfo directory should end up directly under GameData.

For example, Steam installation on Windows will be in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TCShipInfo\<content>

Usage: The text window should show up whenever a ship is active.

Toolbar: This plugin adds a button to the stock toolbar to toggle the display.

Changes:

v 0.4 (May 7, 2016):
- Update to 1.1 api
- Use stock toolbar instead of blizzy's.

v 0.3 (Sept 27):
- Unknown things (Like asteroids) will no longer be shown in details.
- Other mods can now (Theoretically) add more information to the panel.

v 0.2:
- Toolbar (Optional) support. Requires an explicit dir structure.
- persist window location and show-ness
- Show crew count, part count, mass
- Sort resources by name
- Show command pod issues
- Hide extra text for Kerbals on EVA
- Explicitly set skin - see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65769?p=1017568#post1017568

Edited by avivey
0.4 / 1.1.x

Added installation instructions to OP, kind of.

It should show any type of resource that the ship can carry, including customized ones - I just go over all parts and look for Resources.

About MCE (and other plugins): I'd think of something for next version, but no promises about when...

Glad to hear you like it!

• 5 weeks later...

This is useful, especially when having generic space tugs on orbits and you want to know which one has sufficient fuel to move a cargo to the intended orbit. It will be useful when using with some mods like life support, too.

P.S: :blush: not intending to de-rail the thread, what I even want more in TrackingStation, is allowing time-warp there to wait for certain launching/transfer window. :P

Edited by HoneyFox

You mean displaying a thumbnail for the vessel selected? That will be really awesome, REALLY.

I agree it would, though it was not my idea and personally I don't think it should be within the scope of this plugin, but the OP says that's what he wants to do:

Long term plans, if I have the time, are to add a picture of the vessel, to make selecting one of many ships even easier.

I agree it would, though it was not my idea and personally I don't think it should be within the scope of this plugin, but the OP says that's what he wants to do:

Well perhaps rename the plugin to "TrackingStationExtensions" if it can provides various of useful features including resource display, vessel thumbnails, time-warp, etc..., just like that "EditorExtensions".

Oh am I asking for too much? :D

Wow. Another one....

Seriously there has been so much simple and cool feature adding plugins coming out of the forums lately. This, vesselview, keepfit, the vessel compartment plugin and so on. I think this is especcially useful.

My tips/suggestions would be(in order of simplicity or awesomness):

*Toolbar integration(simple)

*Integration with vesselview for a small 2d representation of the vessel in the gui.(awesome)

*I like % bars, maybe even a bit similar in design to the stock resource overview in the flightscene. perhaps in a later version of the gui.

Maybe it would even be possible to integrate the gui into the squad mapview gui something like this(on the right):

d4w2vjK.png

Tho my intuition says the code this resides in isnt possible to reference from a plugin. Tho someone managed to get planets into the game so what do i know:P.

*does it track live usage of resources from mods like asmi eclss or tac? I havent checked/tested how isolated these run from the stock resource system to accomplish the unfocused resource draining thing so i dunno how difficult it would be to track this.

Ooh, haven't looked for a few days.

I do have plans to extend it, but not sure I'll find the time. It's one of the reasons that it's Public Domain - if any other maintainer thinks this would fit into they're mod, they can just paste it in (Or at least add it relatively easily).

In particular, about the suggestions here:

- Toolbar - should be very easy, I just didn't think it would be too useful. Now that buttons can be hidden and there's a snippet for optional integration - sure, why not.

- Bars, and/or just using the stock UI for resources - I'd like that, but it looked at first glance that taking that out of the flight mode would be hard.

It might be worthwhile, however, to integrate this feature into Alternate Resource View, which is basically the same thing.

- Picture / VesselView - That's my wish-list :) I've actually looked into VesselView's code, and I don't think it would be practical to use; The big issue is that in the tracking screen, the vessel isn't actually "loaded", and vessel rendering (probably) can't be applied.

In this mod, I'm looking at the saved state of the vessels - essentially the persistence file. Loading a vessel so it can be rendered takes a long time, and has some side effects.

The best idea I had so far was to take a snapshot of every vessel when possible, and showing that; It's not a perfect solution, but it does most of what is needed.

At any rate, no Idea when I might get to it.

About Live usage from mods: I doubt it would just work without dedicated work, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see work on this continued! Toolbar integration would be appreciated, and in terms of low hanging fruit, top priority. Integration with ARV would be nice too. I don't care as much about a craft image.

I know it would be work from above, but I think you should reconsider looking into supporting unfocused vessel resource drain. That would make this an essential mod.

Ooh, haven't looked for a few days.

I do have plans to extend it, but not sure I'll find the time. It's one of the reasons that it's Public Domain - if any other maintainer thinks this would fit into they're mod, they can just paste it in (Or at least add it relatively easily).

In particular, about the suggestions here:

- Toolbar - should be very easy, I just didn't think it would be too useful. Now that buttons can be hidden and there's a snippet for optional integration - sure, why not.

- Bars, and/or just using the stock UI for resources - I'd like that, but it looked at first glance that taking that out of the flight mode would be hard.

It might be worthwhile, however, to integrate this feature into Alternate Resource View, which is basically the same thing.

- Picture / VesselView - That's my wish-list :) I've actually looked into VesselView's code, and I don't think it would be practical to use; The big issue is that in the tracking screen, the vessel isn't actually "loaded", and vessel rendering (probably) can't be applied.

In this mod, I'm looking at the saved state of the vessels - essentially the persistence file. Loading a vessel so it can be rendered takes a long time, and has some side effects.

The best idea I had so far was to take a snapshot of every vessel when possible, and showing that; It's not a perfect solution, but it does most of what is needed.

At any rate, no Idea when I might get to it.

About Live usage from mods: I doubt it would just work without dedicated work, sorry.

A snapshot wireframe 2d view of the vessel would be perfect for a visual. There is no need for it to be rendered.

Im glad youre still working on this at it is certainly a useful plugin

The issue is that you aren't setting the skin and so it's using whatever skin happened to be set. As my mod does change it its likely that this mod is then using the Unity standard skin as opposed to the KSP skin which makes it "screwy." You should be able to add a "HighLogic.Skin" argument to the end of your window creation call and it should work fine, or just set GUI.skin = Highlogic.Skin right before calling it. (I'll fix my own as such to prevent it from messing with other mods)

Edited by Xaiier

Added some features:

Toolbar integration: If toolbar is installed, adds a button. Button only has one icon, and it toggles the window. If you don't have a toolbar, there's no way to hide it.

The hide state is persisted, along with the window location.

(Thanks, Gaiiden and Xaiier) - explicitly setting the skin also made it a bit prettier.

Couldn't get the snapshoting to work yet, so I've added important information instead: Crew count, Part count, total mass. If a vessel is uncontrollable, an appropriate wording will appear.

Percent bars - didn't have the time to look at it yet, sorry.

New link download is in Spaceport - see link in OP. Naturally, if you have the earlier version installed, you should delete it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.