Fastest Plane under 1.000m. [WE HAVE REACHED MACH 5!, Tidus Klein at 1,714 m/s]

m1sz

My best attempt. I'm sure if I burned off some fuel I'd squeeze out a lil more - non-FAR Speed 362.1m/s

BTW, couple of mod parts you don't have listed and if you feel the need to disqualify, do so. But, they have no effect on performance (other than drag). Firespitter wing engine mounts (to make this monstrosity possible) and Multi-wheels landing gear because I can NEVER get B9 gear to go straight.

Speed1.png

Speed2.png

Speed3.png

And Jeb had a blast, he says thanks.

really like you design, is it possible to get the craft file?`:)

@fengist

Ummm crap. Sorry, I didn't even bother to save it. It's basically B9 stuff. The only real 'trick' to it was I had to add a fuselage in between the tail and the fuel tank (it's up front) in order to stretch it out a bit. With all those engines on the wing the center of mass was WAY back and I needed those two winglets up front to land it. That's also why those two vertical rudders have stock wings on top of them, to move the center of lift back so I could mount the winglets. The main wing is as far back as it would go. Other than that, which took a few tries to get right, it's pretty easy to build.

Here's a shot of one of the previous versions with a wider but single wing section. A tad faster but no winglets up front. You may also notice some air brakes on it. It was impossible to land, it would nose up hard at low speeds and I was trying to fix that.

Hope this gives you some ideas on where to start.

Speed4.png

I have not given up so far im up to 900M/s but i will hold of posting till i get to !1000M/s! and then it will go in the The MachingBird Challenge! as well as why the hell not and i have notsed that mechjeb douse not like going faster that 800M/s in atmos

Redesigned Version Eins. 720 m/s. Still a VTOL but now unmanned. Working on an even faster non VTOL :)

LUFTMEISTER Zwei

from what i have been playing around with led me to beleave that "autosave" is right with the Vtol idear as landing gear douse not like going MARK1 on take off

I just wanted to show how easy it was to cheat on this challenge

mostly because i was having trouble getting to the speeds that "1096bimu" manged to get to but i found that when i recreated the plain that it woud not go fast enough as in 300M/s slower so i wondered how coud of he done it and yes i tryed 0 fule and debug but still to slow so hyper edit editing of part files so i think making a video as a requirement would be best to prevent cheating

onzVj1S.jpg

I just wanted to show how easy it was to cheat on this challenge

mostly because i was having trouble getting to the speeds that "1096bimu" manged to get to but i found that when i recreated the plain that it woud not go fast enough as in 300M/s slower so i wondered how coud of he done it and yes i tryed 0 fule and debug but still to slow so hyper edit editing of part files so i think making a video as a requirement would be best to prevent cheating

http://i.imgur.com/onzVj1S.jpg

http://youtu.be/aFjmKFOkTMQ

He exploits bad challenges but he doesn't make fake screenshots for simple cheats, I'll try it myself.

Edit:

I don't know what you were doing with 300m/s but it does to to 800+ for me

Z63Fsdc.jpg

Edited by jacobgong

He exploits bad challenges but he doesn't make fake screenshots for simple cheats, I'll try it myself.

Edit:

I don't know what you were doing with 300m/s but it does to to 800+ for me

ok feal free to prove that i called cheat with out cause but bear in minde that he managed to get to 847.9M/s with just 3 F119 Turbofan Engine and my recreation of hic craft only did 500M/s ish

Edit:

this is getting silly but i was going 500M/s with my recreation of his cradt

Edited by fluffysnowcap

I must say, I was very confused at first when I thought you wanted a plane that could go as fast as possible without hitting one meter per second.

yeah, that's one possible way to look at it, probably because my english sucks :D

I'm a little confused with all this cheating stuff, I'm hoping everyone plays fair, but just in case, I'll go through it later when I have time!

Maybe adding the save file is easier than uploading a video, and everyone could test it ^^

ok here is the craft file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tc6pe5c3hguz0t1/Fluffysnowcap%27s%20recreation%20of%201096bimu%201000M%20Challenges%20plain.craft

MODS:

B9

Ferram Aerospace Research

Fire Spitter

KSPX

Mechjeb (mostly for info)

NearFuture

I tried it, it isn't as fast because you have a few extra parts but it still does 800m/s+ I think it has to do with the version of FAR, go download the latest version.

Y28g1hy.jpg

Edited by jacobgong

I have some B9 SABRE "planes" that can reach 1.1 km/s under 1000 meters. Maybe I could use 4 stock jets to make a "pplans (missile) that performs similarly well. Problem is what intake to use since a single pair of radials or a circus intake generate way too much drag and give more are than necessary.

What FAR vershion are you running as i only get 600M/s and it Spins out at a Pin drop

With one vertical stabilizer it is pretty easy to flip out on the horizontal axis. For pitch you have to adjust your control surfaces and engine gimbal on the F119 to not pitch so hard. If you have all 3 on gimbal and default 20 degree deflection yes it will flip out simply because the angle of attack is too high. otherwise it is pretty stable with aerodynamic centre quite far behind centre of mass as it should be.

With the high pitch high thrust F119 engines it's quite easy to recover from stalls, although the hyper sensitive pitch and small wings makes landing difficult.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ferram-aerospace-research/

Edited by jacobgong

hm... Luvodicus Super Atomic (320kN) and short stock tank, start mass: 8.something tons, TWR of something like 3.8-4.34 (by the time I hit orbit). I can't get the thing to stay below 1000m, the second I go supersonic the thing just wants to pitch up until it's ballistic. Bill enjoys the ride, though.

'Course, that's in .18, don't know what a similar build'd do in .22 (I don't have .23, waiting for the plugins to catch up).

Or does it have to be jets?