Fastest Plane under 1.000m. [WE HAVE REACHED MACH 5!, Tidus Klein at 1,714 m/s]

m1sz

well, this goes a little far beyond the rules. Using fairings to hide stuff behind is fine, somehow, but using them to hide stuff wich isnt behind them doesn't have any sense!

You all could try with this method, just for the sake of it, but wont be on the current leaderboards!

well, this goes a little far beyond the rules. Using fairings to hide stuff behind is fine, somehow, but using them to hide stuff wich isnt behind them doesn't have any sense!

You all could try with this method, just for the sake of it, but wont be on the current leaderboards!

Well, I can understand the reasoning behind that. The reason why I said "technically it's within the rules" is because I anticipated some disagreement :P (but, technically it is, since it does have wings)

If you change your mind, here's 2154 m/s. :) (using FAR, B9, fairings and KSPX)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by lunait

I don't know if anyone's using this trick specifically with wings yet

Throwing a wing directly onto a fairing will negate its drag aswell, as can be seen with my previous proof of concept (huge fairing with big wings).

But like throwing intakes under fairings, I would see this as breaking the rules.

Otherwise, this is getting closer to the ideal craft design.

Few points to be improved upon: weight reduction (unmanned, smaller fuel tank?), more engine to dead weight/drag ratio.

*fumbles to create account*

Oh dear, hello~!

I've seen the comments on the thread, some complaining about "jet-powered rockets" others "remove the control surfaces, you get a rock"

But when I saw the challenge and opened up KSP...

Oops where'd my two hours go.

This entry isn't valid because I couldn't land it but I thought I should thank the OP for the fun challenge c:

Vc1ZvoO.jpg

EDIT:

"Oh Look, I Put Wings On An Engine" V2 @ 426m/s. End flight log says 429, not sure when that happened :o (No FAR)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

45~48 more m/s, 60% more ugly and 30% the parts of Hejnfelt's pretty nice looking plane

Suspiciously good handling for a rock.

EDIT #2: I just remembered I have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed, though I doubt it'll matter with such a tiny thing.

Edited by Ambisinister
Competition attempt

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I thought that some one would have been able to beat my speed by now.....

PS you guys do know that the turbos in FAR are borked right? as in they produce 200 kn well past 2400, as in infinity. look it up..... and here is the fix

1 go in to the far module manager file and change the 4th key in the turbo jets velocity curve to (key 4 = ..............)

feram goffed and made it @key 4 = when the stock jet has no fourth key. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

This thread is from before the aero revision, and therefore, current planes are not comparable to previous challenge entries. Someone could start a new such challenge, if there's interest.