Highest G turn in an aircraft.

I think I broke the challenge, just slightly. Also, the "Maximum G-Force Endured" isn't exactly the best way of showing the maximum G-force endured.

Here is how to break the challenge!

Construct one of the craft in this video:

Fly it around, and begin gaining velocity. Soon, your craft will begin to travel at high speeds, and experience incredible G-forces.

These G-forces are easily measured with a Seismic Accelerometer, and they can be huge. I've experienced, but not photographed, over 1,000 G's of force. As a consolation prize, you can have this shot, which shows 315 G's of force at over 2 km/s.

c8T7DwE.jpg

Now, this is all well and good, but what's the G-force recorded on the flight results screen? A measly 2.7 g's! That's chicken feed, even for a normal airplane.

dU211X9.jpg

It would be nice if you could ban infinigliders such as this one, because with this little guy, getting the highest recorded G-forces is just a matter of pressing the screenshot button at the right time. Also, the "end flight" results aren't always even remotely accurate, though it may be too late in the challenge to fix this.

(By the way, please don't count that 2.7 g's as my score for this one, I would hate to be that low on the leaderboard. I just wanted to show you this...)

• 9 months later...

I saw this challenge, and it reminded my of a plane I build a while ago, the Korma. I remember it pulling a 20g turn in the upper atmosphere, but I didn't document it. Now seems like a good a chance as any to push its limits!

It performs about as well as I remembered. It took some experimentation, but I finally pushed it past 20. My highest documented turn was 22.2 g's, but I'm pretty sure I had a few turns which were higher. The Korma kicks like a mule when it turns at high mach levels, and the g-meter twitches all over the place. I know the flight log isn't always accurate, and those spikes might not have been recorded. Hopefully there's a better way to calculate the strength of those sharper turns.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.