Wobbly rockets - Now 1.09 - 2 metre parts, verniers, payload fairings, MUCH more

Sunday Punch

I'm certain that at least once, I did get a stage with a retropack to fire its retropack, the decoupler to activate, and ullage engines on the next stage to fire all in one swell foop...

Okay; courtesy of someone's thread about making launchable missiles, I discovered how to make the retros work:

Add the line

ActivatesEvenIfDisconnected = True

to the part.cfg for the retro.

Now you can put it in the stage with the decoupler, and works fine.

Sunday Punch - you might want to tweak that in your next release. :)

I have decided to download mods. :'( Wont be complete vanilla anymore.

*patpat* There, there, it's not so bad! You can still make stock rockets even if you have mod parts available! This just gives you more options beyond that! There's nothing wrong with that!

Is it possible to attach 3m tanks to other 3m tanks sideways, so I can make an SSTO by the expedient of using 7 3m tanks joined to 49 NERVAs?

In this rocket I use a 7 x 3m core. I use the aero decoupler, with a lateral 2x1 coupler to get the offset required for the 3m booster. The NERVAs move two 3m tanks well, but a stack of 3 above them is a little more than they can handle. I'm very fond of using 7 x SLS engine under my 3m tanks; the thrust is low enough that you don't have to worry about the adapter vibrating, and the 455 kN of thrust is enough to move a single tank easily, barely move two tanks, or serve as a core to a bunch of boosters. If you're careful, you can get 30 1m boosters around a set of 6 3m boosters on a 3m core. I tend to get a frame a second or so with this arrangement.

CORRECT!

Sunday Punch re-textured the solid booster in V1.05

but if you look in the kerbal space repository,you'll find V1.04

Or look for the posts on the front page

EDIT: I just checked and sunday punch reskinned the solids in V1.03

So you'll have to check the front page of this topic

Yeah I completely remodeled the solids because I was unhappy with the way they looked, same with those old nosecones. I could make some different solid motors though, you guys have any ideas for what would be useful?

I haven't had time to work KSP stuff for a while, but I want to make some 2 metre engines and some more 3 metre parts soon. Maybe some 1m-2m and 2m-3m frustum fuel tanks too.

How about a big 2m stackable SRB?

A longer radial decoupler then the stock one (that has standoff from main body))

2m radial stack decoupler (could be an aero)

2m RCS

3m Skylab 'payload'

2m engine w 8 nozzles like Saturn 1 (diamond/square) or N-1 (circle)

Yeah I completely remodeled the solids because I was unhappy with the way they looked, same with those old nosecones. I could make some different solid motors though, you guys have any ideas for what would be useful?

I haven't had time to work KSP stuff for a while, but I want to make some 2 metre engines and some more 3 metre parts soon. Maybe some 1m-2m and 2m-3m frustum fuel tanks too.

I definitely think KSP needs more 2m engines, and also like I said earlier:

Perhaps if the old booster mesh could still be used [if it] was resized so it was midway between the KSP-30 and the KMX Industries Minibooster/RT-10 Solid Fuel Booster? Or maybe it could be taken in the other direction, and become the first 1.75/2m booster?

The new booster mesh/skin is certainly good and it's a part I like to use, but the old version has a junky charm about it.

I'd like to see the old mesh as about a 0.75m booster; it'd be good for representing Minuteman-based strap-ons for the Saturn V derivatives. (The mini-SRB is just a little too small to represent them compared to the S-V parts pack, and they burn a little too long.)

I'd definitely like some true 2m engines, so I didn't have to rely on either the 'bouncy' 2m:2x1m adapter or plugging some of Nova's 1.75m engines on and pretending they fit.

I don't know if this is known or intentional but it looks to me like there's a problem with the aero decoupler.

When attached to liquid fuel tanks, and a liquid fuel tank/engine is attached to the decoupler, those engines drain the fuel from the tanks to which the decoupler is attached (and the tanks directly on top of that one) first, before draining fuel from the tanks under the decoupler.

This means that any liquid engine attached to those first tanks has less fuel to use. None even if it's just one liquid fuel tank.

I don't know if this is known or intentional but it looks to me like there's a problem with the aero decoupler.

When attached to liquid fuel tanks, and a liquid fuel tank/engine is attached to the decoupler, those engines drain the fuel from the tanks to which the decoupler is attached (and the tanks directly on top of that one) first, before draining fuel from the tanks under the decoupler.

This means that any liquid engine attached to those first tanks has less fuel to use. None even if it's just one liquid fuel tank.

I just stick an SAS module between the decoupler and the fuel tanks. Stops the fuel flow from the center main tanks and lets the radial engines suck from their own tanks.

This is expected behaviour. Liquid engines go all the way up the tree of parts til the highest connected fuel tank, and use that first. The aero decouplers carry fuel.

It would probably be useful to have two versions of the decouplers, one carrying fuel and one not. Failing that, add a non-fuel-carrying component like an SAS or a vertical decoupler under the aero coupler.

Can we expect 3 metre fairings next version?

Also the two metre centaur booster seems really buggy. if you put two engines on them it doesn't seem to be centred properly so ships using them spin out of control, and thats assuming one of the engines doesn't get snapped off while its in a shroud.

I can't use the 5-7X1 adapters. Even at minimum thrust the engines don't work on it. It plays the burnout sound, and the engines grey out in the staging sequencer. :'(

That happens because the connection between the adapter and the tank above it is breaking. Put a 4-6 struts around the edge from the adapter to the tank above it, and that should keep things in place for you.

Actually, I put my struts from the tank above the adapter to the engines themselves; this transfers a lot of the load via the struts, and also makes it harder for the engines to vibrate themselves off the vehicle.

That happens because the connection between the adapter and the tank above it is breaking. Put a 4-6 struts around the edge from the adapter to the tank above it, and that should keep things in place for you.

I tested that, and also did what you said. I used one engine in the middle, and I pressed space and the engine was disabled. Then I tipped over the vehicle and the the whole thing went down. There are no structural problems.