Space shuttle - Working cargo bay, stock parts.

Space shuttle

I have been working on this project for a while. Was very happy once i got the cargo doors working but that surprisingly was the easy part. The take off style i wanted to do took the most work. It can be fiddly but worth it once you get it working its worth it. It has a medium docking port as that's the main universal port for ship docking with stations and has enough fuel to either drop off cargo in orbit and return or do a meet up but it will need fuel to return after a meet up unless your really good with RCS.

Shuttle with probe ship zip file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71077397/Shuttle%20-%20with%20probe.zip

Shuttle with probe ship rar file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71077397/Shuttle%20-%20with%20probe.rar

Any ideas for improvements are welcome

Launch instructions: (These are in the ship description but i added them here just in-case)

Engines are set to correct thrust for take off.

Before take off lock in SAS, Activate RCS and press command group 3 twice.

When down to main fule tank and shuttle RAPIER thrustes will need to be increased as the center of waight moves and the Skipper and LV-T30 furthest from shuttle will need to be lowered.

RAPIER: 80%

Skipper/LV-T30: eventually 0%

IMPORTANT: Once in orbit do not forget to fill the liquid fule tank from the left overs of the main tank for re-entry

--------------------------

Re-Entry:

There should be enough fule left over to lower orbit so you re-enter. If you decide to to a meet up in orbit you will need to re-fule the shuttle.

Once on re-entry course make sure engines are toggled to air-breathing.

--------------------------

Action Groups:

1- Controlls inside docking ports for doors (OPEN)

2- Controlls outer docking ports for doors. (CLOSE)

3- Toggles shuttles RCS thrusters

Edited by Legendmir

Good job! The control scheme seems a bit complicated considering you forgo the purist "Only solid boosters and no engines in the external tank" approach, but that cargo bay door is certainly interesting. It works as smoothly both ways? Am I correct in assuming it works just by using the small ejection force of docking ports?

Rune. I also have a shuttle, it's somewhere in here. I have to link it to R-SUV, by the way!

The docking bay doors do work entirely off the un-docking force. The only time i have problems is with something i don't quite understand with KSP and its docking. Now and again the doors will close just how you want them too and now and again they wont close and will open again. I cant explain it.

Id defiantly like to see it.

The docking bay doors do work entirely off the un-docking force. The only time i have problems is with something i don't quite understand with KSP and its docking. Now and again the doors will close just how you want them too and now and again they wont close and will open again. I cant explain it.

Id defiantly like to see it.

If you mean you would like to see my shuttle, it's here. If you want to see a ton of different shuttle replicas, go here.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.