[0.23.5] Kerbal Space Industries [26APR14] [MFD 1.2]

Hyomoto

ksi_emblem_zps19e3b338.jpg~original

Welcome to Kerbal Space Industries

We believe in making a better tomorrow for all Kerbal kind. Check out our selection of products and see if anything fits your needs!

KSI News

KSI MFD 1.2 - Small update, but should hit all the right notes. First up, native VesselView support. If you are using VesselView, delete the patch for my configuration or it will probably cause problems. Next, a few usability improvements such as minor text revision and I defaulted CAM to the docking page, as well as cleaned up the pages. Lastly, I noticed there are a bunch of areas of the menus that don't match, such as different version numbers, alternate color schemes, varying overlays (or lack thereof) and just general inconsistency. So I've gone over and hopefully cleaned up most of that to provide a more consistent user experience. Lastly, many users have built their own custom variations on my interface, and using some of the latest options in RPM I hope to have made this a bit easier. The menu overlays are now in menuOverlay, menuOverlayBase, and menuOverlayTarget exclusively. This means you don't have to fiddle with graphics files to delete/add/change the menu header anymore. For this reason, if you use the black interface, you also need to update that as the graphics will be screwy.

KSO users attention! Either use the bundled version of KSI MFD, or apply this patch after updating!

2014-01-06_00004a_zps8aefa3df.jpg~originalblack_interface_zpscd810ce7.jpg~original

Multi-Function Display for RPM

RasterPropMonitor is an amazing piece of tech, but the example prop is more to show it off than to actually assist you with your missions. Kerbal Space Industries' Multi-Function Display provides many quality of life improvements, its ultimate goal enabling IVA missions without map or HUD. The display comprises five major menus accessible from any other screen and cleanly provides such contextual information and features as takeoff and landing, staging, and docking cam assistants. Check out the Kerpollo video or KSI MFD Tutorial to see it in action!

Installation:

Install RasterPropMonitor by Mihara. DESIGNED FOR V0.15+. IT WILL NOT WORK WITH 0.14

Drop it into your GameData folder like you would any other mod. Note, like RPM, the KSI MFD expects to be installed at the GameData root, failure to do so WILL cause it to function improperly.

I use module manager 1.5.6 to replace example props on ANY interior using them, up to eleven (a limitation of MM). If you have changed/replaced the example prop, it may cause issues with installation. To uninstall simply delete my folder.

Download from Dropbox.

MFD Skins

Black Interface from Dropbox.

Fan Edits

Super Hyomoto MDF by WaRi

Wouldn't it be nice to use the same template I used?

KSI MFD Interface PSD

blade_antenna_zpsd6462f1d.jpg~original

Aerospace Parts

KSI is a leader in Kerbal Space Innovation and we want to prove it! Seeing a distinct lack of aerodynamically sound transmission devices, our engineers set out to create one! Right now this pack only contains a single part, the UHF Blade Antenna. Also comes with the Kerbal Space Industries and Kerbal Space Initiative flags. Show your Kerbal Space Pride and be practical doing it!

Installation:

Simply drag and drop in your KSP folder, to remove delete Hyomto/Parts

Download from Dropbox.

Changes:

Changelog for KSI MFD :

* 1.2 :
 - VesselView support.
 - Menus are now in menuOverlay.txt.
 - More theming consistency .
 - Minor usability improvements.
 - Removal of unused assets.

* 1.1f :
 - Apparently the last fix messed up the values it was meant to correct.
 - Monopropellant was showing liquid fuel percentage.

* 1.1e :
 - Surface speed and orbital speed were swapped on the takeoff assistant.

* 1.1d :
 - Linux compatibility
 - Patches now in Hyomoto/Patches
 - Pages now in Hyomoto/MFD/pages
 - Fixed FLT pages not going to PFD when 1 is pressed
 - Fixed NFO pages not going to ALT when 3 is pressed
 - SmartASS should respond to BACK and TOP, a temporary fix.  You must press PLUGN to return to the top menu now, instead of BACK.
 - ScanSat should SWAP when 0 is pressed
 - New black interface skin (optional download)

Bug Reports and Commenting:

I figured I should write this somewhere, but it takes me a while to write a post, and then I usually notice sentence structure or word use I don't like and may edit. So there's a good chance that if I missed your report, ignored your comment, or was ambiguous, that if you wait a little while that there's a good chance it will not be that way afterwards.

Skinning KSI MFD:

I've tried to make this a simple process for anyone interested. If you make changes to the base config and distribute it, they'll be overwritten when/if I or someone else updates the files. I've put together a basic example skin for you to take a look at. You can use module manager to make any configuration changes you need, and you can overwrite/add images to do this. Ideally copy this format, that way it should be a simple drag and drop procedure to change or update a skin. Make changes to the MFD using KSI-MFD-INTF-patch.cfg and replace or add images to the image folder. Reverting to the default skin requires deleting the patch and reverting the images folder.

Future Plans:

Add appropriate 'spaceplane/aircraft' mode of operation to MFD.

Add in support for RasterPropMonitorComputer to MFD.

Development build for MFD utilizing development RPM features.

Additional antenna shapes and sizes for aerospace parts.

MFD Plugin Functionality:

RasterPropMonitor supports plugin functionality for other mods. Right now, KSI MFD supports the MechJebRPM and ScanSATRPM plugins provided by Mihara, as well as the VesselView by PeteTimesSix. These can both be found under the MOD menu. If you do not have them installed, or their accompanying mods, you will get an "Application not installed." message.

Credits:

Mihara for RasterPropMonitor, and alexustas for the example prop model.

Module Manager (by sarbian, based on ialdabaoth's work).

88x31.png

Edited by Hyomoto

If I am understanding this correctly, does that add more specific information to the RPM modules? I have watched the video and it was beautiful btw. I am still new to RPM and I havent really done extensive testing but I am happy to try a new thing as well as try a new thing that makes new things better!

If I am understanding this correctly, does that add more specific information to the RPM modules? I have watched the video and it was beautiful btw. I am still new to RPM and I havent really done extensive testing but I am happy to try a new thing as well as try a new thing that makes new things better!

Simply put, yes. I've tried to reduce information overload, instead of giving you all information at all times, its designed to give you the information you need when you need it, as well as make it easily accessible. For instance, instead of pressing '7' repeatedly to cycle through cameras in the example prop, the KSI MFD simply requires you press CAM and then the number of the camera you want. You can then freely switch between any that are available.

Let me know if you have any troubles or questions, and happy flying! :)

Simplicity at its finest. I appreciate this Hyomoto. I will play around with it and share my thoughts in the near future.

Edit: I noticed something strange. In the GPS menu, it says KSI MFD v0.2 whereas everything else is v1

Also, since it has GPS, does that require a mod like remote tech or the gps mod?

Edited by bulletrhli

Simplicity at its finest. I appreciate this Hyomoto. I will play around with it and share my thoughts in the near future.

Edit: I noticed something strange. In the GPS menu, it says KSI MFD v0.2 whereas everything else is v1

Also, since it has GPS, does that require a mod like remote tech or the gps mod?

I have ScanSat installed which works with this.

Thanks, I wonder if it works across all the satellite styled mods. I'll definitely take a look when I am home.

It doesn't. SCANsatRPM module only supports SCANsat. It is possible to have RPM select between which-plugin-works-today, but there is basically nothing else to support in terms of planetary mapping, ISA MapSat is essentially defunct.

That's ... basically a typo. The reason being that the GPS menu isn't finished yet, (apparently I haven't touched it in a while :P) I haven't gotten around to writing the entire thing yet. As of now it gives you basic ScanSAT functionality when you choose the GPS tab, under the GPS menu (confusing, perfect!). I have the intention of providing a proper GPS (that doesn't rely on ScanSAT) but it hasn't come up yet.

But yeah, that is a typo I missed, I'll make sure it gets fixed in the next version.

That's ... basically a typo. The reason being that the GPS menu isn't finished yet, (apparently I haven't touched it in a while :P) I haven't gotten around to writing the entire thing yet. As of now it gives you basic ScanSAT functionality when you choose the GPS tab, under the GPS menu (confusing, perfect!). I have the intention of providing a proper GPS (that doesn't rely on ScanSAT) but it hasn't come up yet.

But yeah, that is a typo I missed, I'll make sure it gets fixed in the next version.

It is something so minor but it definitely pops out after all the work to get to the GPS ;) Maybe you could add a little text bit while you don't have your own GPS that say a plugin for gps is missing like ScanSat or something. Or, instead, put it in the readme so people can reference that should they not understand why it says NO GPS!!!! (basically, anyways).

It is something so minor but it definitely pops out after all the work to get to the GPS ;) Maybe you could add a little text bit while you don't have your own GPS that say a plugin for gps is missing like ScanSat or something. Or, instead, put it in the readme so people can reference that should they not understand why it says NO GPS!!!! (basically, anyways).

This is a valid concern I hadn't considered. I put a mention into the OP about it.

I like scansat and I like figaro GPS. Perhaps there is a way you can combine the two for GPS information? Anyone that is doing a full IVA playthrough of KSP will likely appreciate teh realism figaro GPS offers and will probably like the plugin to be able to pull data from their GPS network to determine position. Being able to navigate off of what you have found on your own is a huge plus for me. Just my .02 cents, its your plugin so of course you can do whatever you want with it.

Been using your displays for my playthrough and I'm loving it, though. Great addon for RPM.

Upon looking at the Figaro GPS, that would be interesting to use. Its certainly more interesting than just using the built-in parameters. However, that would require the Figaro author to write an appropriate RPM plugin to interact with RasterPropMonitor. You might petition him, though his most recent comments don't seem entire receptive to outside suggestion.

Suggestion: Could you add Romfarer's docking camera that is built in the docking ports?

I have great news! You don't need Romfarer's (a mod I too once used)! If you click on TRGT, select References and choose a docking port on your ship, when you select DOCK under CAM, you will have a docking cam! If you also have a ship targeted, it will give you relative speed, distance and RCS state information as well. If you need an example, there are two docking sequences in my

, the first at around 4:55, or check out the tutorial for the camera menu. Edited by Hyomoto

I'm using this MFD config, but it lacks some pages from the example config that I liked (namely, the MechJeb control page and the Log page), so I've quickly added them for my own use.

If you miss these pages, you can download the modified version here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51164426/Hyomoto.zip

The MechJeb page is with the GPS in the TOOLS menu, and the log page is in the INFO menu.

Updated to 1.1:

- Added JSIFlightLog to INFO -> NFO menu.
- Changed GPS menu to PLUGN menu.
- Added support for MechJebRPM under PLUGN -> SmartASS
- Changed ScanSAT location to PLUGN -> ScanSAT
- Fixed PFD speed display
- Fixed pod temperature display
- A major cleanup behind the scenes, and a bunch of changes that a normal user shouldn't notice.

For anyone using derivatives of my MFD, the structure has changed quite a bit. I pretty much renamed every page. However, it's much easier to look at, edit, and understand now so I shouldn't need to again.

But is there a way to show a HUD like this:

<snip>

(that green attitude indicator which is in the 0.13 feature list), or am I missing something?

It is part of RPM 0.13 but the KSI MFD doesn't have one yet. It's on my list of to-do. A user on the RasterProp thread provided a modification to my MFD which does however, so if you are jonesing for it now, that might be just what you are looking for.

I've just recently started using RPM, and whilst I find this menu set up to be largely more useful than RPM's default setup, it would be nice if radar altitude was available in the landing and takeoff assistants. I can calculate it from terrain hight and my ships distance above sea level, but it'd me more convenient to just have the number there already. Other than that, I quite approve of this plugin. Good work!

You are correct about the takeoff, but for landing it does show your radar altitude next to 'descending at _____'. I checked just to make sure, what made you think it isn't? Is the wrong number displayed or is there some interface confusion? As far as for the takeoff assistant, I don't see the need but that doesn't mean it isn't useful. How would you make use of that information?

Edited by Hyomoto

Ah, my bad. I was testing it from the launchpad without actually testing it during a landing (I'm still used to third person) and there was no indication that it would appear. Having RA on the takeoff assistant is more for redundancy than anything. Sometimes you attempt a takeoff and something goes wrong a few hundred meters off the ground and you wind up having to make an emergency landing. Thanks for the speedy response, by the way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.