[0.23.5] Kerbal Space Industries [26APR14] [MFD 1.2]

Hyomoto

Having a little problem here, I can't see any of the cameras I put on the rocket, it only shows the "No signal" image. I have tried both models of the cameras, and neither work. All the other menus work just fine. The cameras work with RPM alone, without your mod, but I like your menu setup and the ability to choose the camera I want to see, and not scroll through a list of them. The mod is installed in the root Gamedata folder along with JSI, all should be working but its not. Its like your mod cant see the JSI cameras. Not sure what other info you need.

That is a bit odd, it should work naturally with the default cameras. Just to make sure, your folder structure is GameData -> Hyomoto -> PFD correct? The only other problem I can think of off-hand is if you have more than one camera with the same ID. When that happens, they also won't work. RPM does a good job of trying to avoid that, but it still happens sometimes. Also, are you are using the RPM or ALCOR camera? My MFD doesn't support any other types (ie: hullcam, etc...).

Having a little problem here, I can't see any of the cameras I put on the rocket, it only shows the "No signal" image. I have tried both models of the cameras, and neither work. All the other menus work just fine. The cameras work with RPM alone, without your mod, but I like your menu setup and the ability to choose the camera I want to see, and not scroll through a list of them. The mod is installed in the root Gamedata folder along with JSI, all should be working but its not. Its like your mod cant see the JSI cameras. Not sure what other info you need.

Same issue here. I checked camera IDs to make sure, they're all good.

That is a bit odd, it should work naturally with the default cameras. Just to make sure, your folder structure is GameData -> Hyomoto -> PFD correct? The only other problem I can think of off-hand is if you have more than one camera with the same ID. When that happens, they also won't work. RPM does a good job of trying to avoid that, but it still happens sometimes. Also, are you are using the RPM or ALCOR camera? My MFD doesn't support any other types (ie: hullcam, etc...).

GameData -> Hymoto -> MFD :) but yes it is.

I checked camera IDs, even took it down to a single camera. Still comes up with the NO SIGNAL screen.

I'm just using the camera that comes with RPM.

If you need any more info, just let me know. I'll do some debugging to see if I can figure it out.

Hi, great Setup!

Lots more usefull than stock RPM...

On the CameraIssue:

Check your GameData\Hyomoto\MFD\MFD40x20.cfg it says "cameraTransform = CamExt1"

I changed that to "cameraTransform = ExtCam1" (in all the PAGE { name=camExt* blocks)

- Now the cam that comes with RastaProp works just fine^^

And as little bonus cause its missing in the thread, screenshots for all the StockCockpits:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dj2vxz4xngpuv4k/1QQuUyi0jP

I think ive found a few other things you might address, hopefully I remember to make another post here when ive got a moment more time,

so far keep going, great work!

My folder structure is GameData -> Hyomoto -> MFD not PFD. So what your saying is. If I have two cameras with the same number, none of them will work? I didn't know that, I thought only those cameras that had matching IDs wouldn't work, ill check my setup again. Also, I mostly use the ALCOR cameras, I like the way they look, but when I encountered the problem I changed them out for the RPM cameras and still had the issue. Thanx for the help :)

I think I found the bug... The cameraTransform is set to camExtX, when it should be ExtCamX. Changing that fixed the problem for me. I'm guessing this came about from an errant grep :)

Also, is it possible for the protractor functionality to be available always, even when the orbit does not make sense? Specifically for phase angle, it would be awesome to have a ground station to track transfer windows. I tried removing the check, it seemed to function alright.

This is an incredible mod, and using it I've completed my first all IVA Apollo style mun landing. A first for me. Thanks for all of your work.

One feature that would be nice though, and almost essential for anything beyond the Mun, would be a transfer orbit display screen. It would basically be the current orbital display with the major difference being that it displays your orbital path at the body you're transferring to. This way you could fine tune your orbit before you actually enter that body's SOI, which is pretty much essential for an interplanetary transfer.

I'm not sure if this is even feasible within the constraints of RasterPropMonitor, but if so it would be great to have.

Hi, great Setup!

Lots more usefull than stock RPM...

On the CameraIssue:

Check your GameData\Hyomoto\MFD\MFD40x20.cfg it says "cameraTransform = CamExt1"

I changed that to "cameraTransform = ExtCam1" (in all the PAGE { name=camExt* blocks)

And as little bonus cause its missing in the thread, screenshots for all the StockCockpits:

I think ive found a few other things you might address, hopefully I remember to make another post here when ive got a moment more time,

so far keep going, great work!

I actually saw that in the code but thought that was just for the menus, I don't know enough about the code so I didn't play with it. Thanx for letting me know it works if you change it.

Rastaprop sounds funny xD

I guess they were "missing" because

Hyomoto only changed what the MFDs display and its functions as his are better than those in the stock MFD provided in the RPM download. But the placement of the MFDs is the same as in the main RPM version and on the RPM thread are many Screenshots showing how the MFDs are placed in the cockpits

I think I found the bug... The cameraTransform is set to camExtX, when it should be ExtCamX. Changing that fixed the problem for me. I'm guessing this came about from an errant grep :)

Ah crap! Yeah, that would be a bug! I even know why it happened, I'll push out a hotfix immediately! Thanks for reporting this!

Also, is it possible for the protractor functionality to be available always, even when the orbit does not make sense? Specifically for phase angle, it would be awesome to have a ground station to track transfer windows. I tried removing the check, it seemed to function alright.

Hmm. For now that will have to be a personal tweak, I have to think about what I want to do with that. I guess it makes sense it would work, you technically always have an 'orbit' but I'm not sure how reliable it would be.

I guess they were "missing" because

Hyomoto only changed what the MFDs display and its functions as his are better than those in the stock MFD provided in the RPM download. But the placement of the MFDs is the same as in the main RPM version and on the RPM thread are many Screenshots showing how the MFDs are placed in the cockpits

I believe you are right. There are a bunch of pictures of the screens themselves in the tutorial, but as far as being in the cockpit, they go wherever RPM puts them so it doesn't make sense to maintain two sets of screenshots.

One feature that would be nice though, and almost essential for anything beyond the Mun, would be a transfer orbit display screen. It would basically be the current orbital display with the major difference being that it displays your orbital path at the body you're transferring to. This way you could fine tune your orbit before you actually enter that body's SOI, which is pretty much essential for an interplanetary transfer.

I can't speak for Mihara, we were pretty lucky to get the orbital display! Anyone who has been using RPM for a while knows that was on the no-fly list for quite a while. That being said, there is rudimentary protractor support under the target menu that can give you transfer times, phase and eject angles. I'll do my best to include up-to-date RPM features (such as MechJeb and ScanSAT even though I don't personally use them) but, for better or worse, my MFD will always reflect the type of experience I enjoy, and for good reason. If I can't/don't/won't use it myself, how can I know its any good! :P I admit that I built this MFD because I like how it encourages mission planning outside of the cockpit, so some of that is reflected in how it operates.

HOTFIX

Hotfix is up. Thanks Tabakhase and kmarmstr for noticing this. I must have been far too aggressive when I was cleaning up the config. I tested out the docking cam, but I didn't expect that I would break the external cameras!

Edited by Hyomoto

This is an incredible mod, and using it I've completed my first all IVA Apollo style mun landing. A first for me. Thanks for all of your work.

I'm not sure if this is even feasible within the constraints of RasterPropMonitor, but if so it would be great to have.

MOARdV who is in charge of making the OrbitalDisplay for Mihara of course intends to do this too at one point. But he wanted to release it and for a first release I think the Orbital Display is still ********** awesome :D So just hea to the RPM thread from time to time to check out the progress on the Orbital Display....

Tried installing this mod (the original RPM 0.13 works fine) - the displays are placed where they are supposed to be, and the pages A-D work, but the rest pages show "Bad redirect" - what could be wrong?

I'll need a bit of clarification, are you using a development build for RPM? The BAD REDIRECT is a page I wrote to indicate a 'broken link' if you will, it would indicate an oversight on my part. But if every button is doing that, it means disableSwitchingTo is broken which, is either a bug in RPM or ... honestly I can't think of anything else unless you edited the config. Even if you removed disableSwitchingTo, the normal buttons would still work, you'd just get bad redirects on the rest. That means both CONTEXTREDIRECT and disableSwitchingTo would have to not be working.

Edited by Hyomoto

Awesome mod! My favourite so far.

I'm still playing around with it, and there are a couple of things I would like to leave as feedback:

1) It would be great to have a G-force indicator somewhere on one of the primary screens. Maybe on the landing MFD?

2) The Orbit MFD would probably be even more useful if the graphic representation would be larger and occupy the whole screen. Now it is a bit small and at times hard to tell what is going on exactly.

3) Any chance that someone would volunteer to incorporate the k-OS Scriptable Autopilot System as a plugin? That would really be awesome.

I have to admit though, this is by far one of the best add-ons I have seen so far. Now if only we could get some proper lighting on the stock dials, and maybe some HD instruments, we'd actually be able to fly from a cockpit completely. Here's hoping. :)

For any inspiration (if you haven't heard of it yet) it would definitely be cool if you were to check out Orbiter, and see if some of the concepts of those MFDs could work for KSP. I'm not sure that would fit the scope of you project, but it's been a very strong wish of mine to get the MFDs that Orbiter uses in KSP. That would give us close to the best space simulator, that's also fun! :cool:

Well, luckily for you, your first request is already done! At the bottom of the PFD it has your current G displayed.

tutorial_PFD_zps84df142c.jpg~original

I guess I missed it in the tutorial, sorry about that! But you can clearly see it in the middle, underneath the PFD, above RCS. As far as the orbital display being tiny, that's a personal preference and it just worked out well for me, but I had originally planned to include a full-screen variant so I'll look into still doing that. And as far as features go, there's some stuff in the pipeline. I intend to support a 'development' version of the MFD using the latest features available in RPM but beyond bug fixes I'm not doing any new features for a little while. After Kerpollo and releasing my MFD, I gotta get back in the game and play!

I'll need a bit of clarification, are you using a development build for RPM? The BAD REDIRECT is a page I wrote to indicate a 'broken link' if you will, it would indicate an oversight on my part. But if every button is doing that, it means disableSwitchingTo is broken which, is either a bug in RPM or ... honestly I can't think of anything else unless you edited the config. Even if you removed disableSwitchingTo, the normal buttons would still work, you'd just get bad redirects on the rest. That means both CONTEXTREDIRECT and disableSwitchingTo would have to not be working.

Actually, now I am not sure what was the problem. I have removed RPM and installed it once again, including the debloating support patch. The MFD's now seem to work fine, however there is a lot of spam in the log like this:

[LOG 10:58:38.536] [ModuleManager] Applying node Hyomoto/MFD/patchMFD/@INTERNAL[*]:HAS[@PROP[RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD]]:Final to JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Example/b9-m27-remade-internal/B9_Cockpit_M27_InternalRPM

[LOG 10:58:38.540] [ModuleManager] Could not find node to modify: @PROP[RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD]

[LOG 10:58:38.540] [ModuleManager] Could not find node to modify: @PROP[RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD]

[LOG 10:58:38.541] [ModuleManager] Could not find node to modify: @PROP[RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD]

[LOG 10:58:38.542] [ModuleManager] Could not find node to modify: @PROP[RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD]

It seems to happen for each of the command modules out there - however, that doesn't seem to affect the MFD's, they seem to function properly. Should I be worried about that?

Actually, now I am not sure what was the problem. I have removed RPM and installed it once again, including the debloating support patch. The MFD's now seem to work fine, however there is a lot of spam in the log like this:

[LOG 10:58:38.536] [ModuleManager] Applying node Hyomoto/MFD/patchMFD/@INTERNAL[*]:HAS[@PROP[RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD]]:Final to JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Example/b9-m27-remade-internal/B9_Cockpit_M27_InternalRPM

[LOG 10:58:38.541] [ModuleManager] Could not find node to modify: @PROP[RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD]

[LOG 10:58:38.542] [ModuleManager] Could not find node to modify: @PROP[RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD]

It seems to happen for each of the command modules out there - however, that doesn't seem to affect the MFD's, they seem to function properly. Should I be worried about that?

Nope, nothing to worry about. Basically in order to edit each and every IVA, I had to have a separate entry to replace Mihara's example MFD. However, there are two ways to do this. I could either write a replacement config for each part, or a general 'catch-all', and the latter is what I've done. What you are seeing is a part in the config where it asks to replace an MFD, but there is no MFD to replace so it just skips it. You'll notice the only part that doesn't have this line is the mk3, because it has eleven RPM's and so that is the number it tries to replace on every pod.

Short answer, its perfectly normal and won't cause problems.

:huh: what limitation ?

Oh shoot, you weren't supposed to see! Kidding. I may be missing something but I couldn't find a way (probably intentionally) to bulk replace. For instance, in a interior there may be multiple props of the same type. I can't simply write one:

@PROP[RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD]
{
@name = HyomotoMFD
}

It requires me to, in this case, write eleven. Why eleven? The largest command pod has eleven screens in it, so now it will replace eleven or less. I don't mean to imply its limited to eleven, I mean I limited it to eleven because MM requires an entry for each one.

I'm Sure some of you have seen the RasterPropMonitor in the new ALCOR wow http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54925-WIP-ALCOR-Advanced-Landing-Capsule-for-Orbital-Rendezvous-by-ASET-%28UPD-10-01-2014%29 there like having a 50" big screen ok maybe 30", It has a kOSTerminal in it but think its a dummy 1 but not sure.

Edited by Mecripp2

Excellent work on the MFD...your setup is very intuitive and is now my preferred MFD layout thus far. :)

I noticed you can zoom the camera view but no panning. Is this something you are able to add to your version of the MFD?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.