I need ideas for a planetary base

LostElement

RC5wzSV.png

This is my interplanetary craft. The small craft at the back is my kethane prospecting and retrieval craft.

WaJthgu.png

This is a better shot.

Both pictures were taken in 0.18.

Alas, my bases are lost! Thanks for taking me down memory lane :)

I'm quite sure that there's both a base and Kethane showcase thread under The Spacecraft Exchange somewhere, but I can't find it now. Can anyone else find it?

You might find this rover thread useful. There will be some Kethane miners in there.

<http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24599-Post-your-Rover-MEGATHREAD?>

I'm in the middle of buiding a small Duna base. One Kethane miner, an envro pod and a lander. May expand it later, but that's the plan for now.

First part is done which is the Kethane miner, Enviro pod is a few days out from Duna intercept and the Lander is ready to launch.

Here's the miner

qpqa.png

I Have KW Rocketry installed so I'm using the 2.5m tank plus the two on the side for fuel storage and am using an 8000 kethane tank. Large drills on either side, processing unit and monopropellant storage up top + a SAS module as I'll probably relocate it at some stage when the claim runs dry. Docking station up top just in case someone runs dry in orbit. Tested it on Kerbin on a high sub-orbital flight, so it should (I hope) comfortably make orbit on Duna.

EDIT: I had already completed a flyby mission which found kethane deposits, so there was need for scanning kit on the mining station.

Edited by FlamedSteak

This is my test base on Mün, where I test mainly if I can join the modules I design in a different than "Kerbin near the launchpad" enviroment. Just build whatever you want, as long as you place wheels and docking ports at the same heights (easy, place them in the ends of the module, and then reuse that ends and save them with different middle parts) in all the parts, and some nice landing legs to fix it in possition once built (or make it accidentally lift off if you try in a low enough gravity xD). I even have a small lander with wheels that can side dock with the base. The three ends part is not standard height and causes issues, that's why I designed another node module that's like the standard ones, but with a cupola over it and side docking ports.

sKnc8aR.png

NJOBBKb.png

kYmD8su.png

My current Duna Base, houses 5 kerbals, but I recently sent two up to the station, where there are now three. Use KAS to refuel other modules with the fuel tanker/general rover.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And my previous Minmus base, lost. Also uses KAS for putting the modules together. Housed 10 kerbals.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also, theres a thread for Kethane miners: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/32991-Show-off-your-Kethane-Mining-Designs!!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.