What do YOU want to see in 0.24?

I would like to see the Space plane parts redone. models and textures but mainly textures.

Wings, intakes, control surfaces. with the addition of air-breaks, larger landing gear, cargo bay.

The current parts are looking very dated and not in-keeping with the overall graphical quality of the game.

I'd like to see a wider variety of stock parts, along with a secondary categorization to help sort them more effectively. One type of part that bugs me is command modules. Sometimes I want a module with more built-in electricity or more torque, or perhaps bigger windows, or one that will survive a stronger impact. And sometimes I want one that's smaller and lighter. Sometimes I want the module to be cone-shaped and sometimes I want it to be in-line. The existing "manned" lander modules and cockpits offer a variety of options, but not enough. The probe cores offer different sizes but nothing else really. Every probe core has very low torque, almost no electricity, crap impact resistance, and really high heat resistance. Maybe that's not what I want in a probe core.

I'm excited too about contracts. I hope they're semi-randomly generated based on what you're doing currently. So if you've got ships on their way to Jool to set up a base, you get a contract to do something on Jool, not Moho.

I'd also like to see biomes everywhere, but just expanding the selections is fine. Like, say, adding biomes to Duna, Ike, Eve, and Gilly. Then next update the 5 Joolian moons, and finally the three odd-men out.

As they add biomes (and therefore potential to get SCIENCE) I hope they increase the costs of items in the tree. Maybe not all nodes, but make the higher ones cost exponentially more. That way, you can't max out the tree before you've left Kerbin's SOI, but you can still unlock early nodes with the science you can find around KSC. I'm thinking like the first node still costs 5, the 2nd tier nodes cost around 25 instead of 20, but the last nodes cost like 2000 each. With double, triple, even quadruple the available science, that shouldn't be totally unreasonable.

I'd like some of the more (and less!) overpowered things tweaked. I'd like a reason to use a Poodle, and a reason NOT to use 48-7S on almost everything I build. Speaking of tweaks, I'd like everything possible to be tweakable, in the way TweakableEverything is doing it.

And speaking of mods, Kerbal Engineer, PreciseNode, and SelectRoot should also be stock :D

Yes! All of these things! Tweak the tweakables is up there for me. It's given the game a new lease of life in terms of the cool stuff you can now do with it, but there's potential to take it further.

Obviously I'd like to see Pintles and Gudgeons (for Whackjob), new Aero model, an expansion of career mode via contracts, which sounds like it's in the works, (as others have mentioned) a change in how science labs work (they're still kinda pointless, for the majority of science missions), and more use for rovers and drivable parts.

I would prefer if it would still display negative periapsis values, so I know if I'm going at 90 degrees in the planet or barely under the surface. It would greatly help with changing orbit direction (clockwise to counter and vice-versa) outside of the planet's SOI.

What I meant was that kind of trajectory without periapsis which does not intersect the body in the center.

KzuIiG3.png

A nerf of the Rockomax 48-7S... it can keep its niche of having an awesome thrust-weight-ratio, but the Isp can probably stand to drop somewhere around 10-20 points on both ends. It's the Mainsail of the 0.625 world, after all.

In general, while we're on the topic of improving career mode (which is apparently a goal for 0.24), I'd like to see the tech progression improved:

- More nodes. Some nodes carry way too many parts/give way too much bang for the buck. Making the tree broader (not deeper) another step where it currently stops getting broader can provide this without having to adjust the science cost of each tier. The little bit extra this will cost to complete the tree is easily offset by further fleshing out the Kerbol system. It was possible to complete the tree in 0.22 without even leaving the Kerbin SoI, and then Minmus got biomes and now grants even more science. There really is more than enough to go around to unlock extra nodes with.

- More sensible part order. Some parts do not make sense where they are now. For example, why do we have two final tier tech nodes (costing 1100 science) that do nothing but unlock largely redundant probe cores, side by side? You can scrap/repurpose one of them, move the QBE somewhere else, and combine the two "larger" parts (the 1.25m and the 2.5m cores) into one node which can stay highest tier. Then that one node at least has a credible reason for being there. Similarly, 0.625m engines and fuel tanks need to come much earlier in the tree so you can actually build a nice and small unmanned probe before finishing the tree. There's more of these cases scattered around the tree, so a little restructuring will help.

- Progression parts. One thing that I found kind of a shame is the low amount of true progression in the tech tree. It's perfectly logical to understand why that is - KSP started with sandbox mode, and in a sandbox, every part fills a nice and a purpose. But in career mode, you end up with a tech tree that mostly unlocks sidegrades, not upgrades. A few low-performance early-tech items thrown in just so they can be replaced by better ones later-on will give the player a better sense of constant advancement.

Edited by Streetwind

Any of the following:

• A full tutorial system: Controls, construction, flight, transfers, docking, landing, science system, design choices etc.
  • More sound effects for everything.
  • Some GUI indication that a craft is out of power: Greyed out navball, low power symbol, sound effect.
  • The navball enhancements that were discussed a few versions back (radial and normal markers).
  • A docking alignment indicator.
  • An enclosed manned rover body (the lander cans don't really suit the aesthetic).
  • Extra graphical effects and shaders, (the GPU doesn't have much to do at the moment).
  • Nerfed 48-7S, redone model with room for the turbopumps.
  • Rebalance of the science system and tech tree: Less emphasis on electric charge being the bottleneck at the sub-orbital and orbital tech levels. More believable methods of restricting radial attachment to later in the tech tree.
  • Life support (probes should not be more difficult to sustain than manned craft).
  • Researchable part upgrades, unlockable tweakables (e.g. alternator).
  • Replacement aircraft parts.
  • Aerodynamics overhaul.
  • Story/campaign mode. I'm hoping contracts tend in this direction somewhat.

Perhaps also think about 5m wide parts for later version?

I'm hoping for 3.75 and 5m parts at some point. Building a Saturn V which is the most iconic of rockets is way too difficult atm due to the lack of any big parts.

This update though I really want to see more things being tweakable and Nervas using only liquid fuel. contracts sound really interesting though. :)

After that though aerodynamics and spaceplane parts really need a redo.

What I would like to see in the 0.24 update:

1. Implement biomes for Duna & Ike.

2. A working monetary system/economy.

3. Maybe a sneak peak of Gas Giant #2?

What I would ultimately like to see (that I know for sure I'm not getting in the .24 update)

1. Gas Giant #2 with its moons. It would be cool if one of those moons had a retrograde orbit.

2. An Asteroid belt on similar orbit with Dres.

3. Geysers on Eeloo.

4. Volcanoes on Laythe.

5. Art pass for Jool.

6. 3.75 m parts

7. Reworked spaceplane parts. Maybe an art pass?

8. Parts for a space telescope.

What I would like to see in the 0.24 update:

1. Implement biomes for Duna & Ike.

2. A working monetary system/economy.

3. Maybe a sneak peak of Gas Giant #2?

What I would ultimately like to see (that I know for sure I'm not getting in the .24 update)

1. Gas Giant #2 with its moons. It would be cool if one of those moons had a retrograde orbit.

2. An Asteroid belt on similar orbit with Dres.

3. Geysers on Eeloo.

4. Volcanoes on Laythe.

5. Art pass for Jool.

6. 3.75 m parts

7. Reworked spaceplane parts. Maybe an art pass?

8. Parts for a space telescope.

I agree with all of your points.

Any of the following:

• A full tutorial system: Controls, construction, flight, transfers, docking, landing, science system, design choices etc.

I'm against a tutorial at this stage of development, actually, simply because so much is still subject to change. I don't want them wasting time developing a proper tutorial system only to have to rewrite and redesign most of it three or four times before v1.0... although I guess the basics can be safely covered, really, unless they plant to replace or significantly modify a good number of parts before final release (which they probably do).

I'm with Pizzaoverhead. If you turn off the music in KSP, it's just a really quiet game. Go on, give it a try! You might think your volume is muted until you place a second part in the VAB. Barely any of the interface makes noise, and most of the parts are silent. As far as bug fixes go, the map screen is chock full of sorting issues. How many people have accidentally targeted the planet they were orbiting and couldn't focus on their own vessel again? What about issues where maneuver nodes can't be placed?

I'd also like to see biomes for every planet. I agree that doing it well takes time, but I'm surprised that they added all the other planets in a single update but we got a single biome for the last one. We already know career mode is at the forefront, so fleshing out the parts of the game that have been overlooked foreverâ€â€sound and interface, I hope will make a showing. I doubt this one, but I'd also like to see more of what we got with the Mun and craters, that is, some more personality for the planets. But I suspect that's an after-career mode thing when they start putting spit and polish on it.

Edited by Hyomoto

As far as bug fixes go, the map screen is chock full of sorting issues. How many people have accidentally targeted the planet they were orbiting and couldn't focus on their own vessel again?

Hitting backspace in mapview will refocus on your active vessel.

Fix the wiggling blinking closest approach indicators when trying to intercept and/or dock.

What I mean is that there are several situations where the game doesn't seem to be able to make up its mind about its predicted future intercepts, encounters and closest approach chevrons and they "blink" in and out of existence. One is the situation where the map view is showing the red intercept chevrons in two different locations and toggling between them blinking like mad so you don't know which one of them is "real". And sometimes when flying an intercept to a planetary encounter the encounter picture and periapsis prediction will disappear entirely from the predicted path making it look like you'll miss the planet, even though you will still intercept it and enter its SOI if you drift as you are.

-increase game performance (takes less ram less processing and can handle more mods)

-more bi oms

-LOADS more funny/interesting quotes on the science and some animations when doing the science would be nice as well

-and some work on holding parts together would also be nice :)

-and of coarse less crashing the game and more time to crash in game xD

1) Closest approach markers should ALWAYS BE SHOWN - I don't know why the game only shows them under certain circumstances.

2) Fixing the blinking encounter marker when more than one encounter is predicted.

3) Biomes for everyone!

4) Radar mapping of planets.

5) Implement an in-game radar/laser altimeter so you know your real altitude.

Ingame option to set orbit encounters style with a brief explanation of what each do (at least on the main menu).

@FOARP: There is an altimeter on IVA.

You get used to switch to IVA to see the relative altitude at least once before landings.

Edited by tetryds

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.