Post A Challenge for Andrew to do on YouTube!

QYIxnYE.jpg

This is the thread where you can post ideas for challenges you'd like me to do in Kerbal Space Program on my YouTube channel. I'll choose my favorite ones and attempt to do my best to complete them.

Rules:

• Make the challenges small enough that they can be completed in hopefully one hour or less of playing time. Basically, I'm looking for fun, short, challenges that can be put into one video on YouTube. Since I'm so bad at playing (:wink:), if they could theoretically get done in one hour, I'll most likely get them done in less than four hours.
  • Feel free to post modded challenges. I feel that many different kinds of challenges turn up when you use mods that aren't possible in the stock game. Just a note though - when I create videos with downloadable craft files, I prefer to keep those stock so they are more accessible to the general public.
  • Challenges that test piloting skill and construction skill are the most fun. So if you're challenge starts with "How fast," "How tall," "How small," etc., then you're probably on the right track.
  • I'll fly your crafts in a given challenge provided they are under 250 parts. I prefer for them to be stock, but if they require a few mods, I may be able to load them because I usually have the more popular mods installed. The same goes for quicksave files. If you have a quicksave file for a challenge, submit it and I'll see if I can load it (if I like the challenge, of course).

With that said, I'm looking forward to what you guys come up with, and I hope you'll enjoy watching the videos that come from this thread as much as I'll enjoy creating them.

Edited by Andrew Hansen

How fast can you go through the target (named "Pylon", located at KSC) with the provided aircraft?

This will fit perfectly with my next video. I wanted to do something with planes, so perhaps I'll open the video this way - flying though the pylon. So long as nothing crashes, I then hope to proceed with attempting to land on a floating (as in, the sky) runway.

Hrrmmm...Ahh! Yes. I have one for you.

Design and fly a Mun Rover that fits the following requirements:

1: No wider than 1.25m, no longer than 2.5m. Height is up to you.

2: Uses the F-Wheel from this mod. No stock wheels.

3: Seats two kerbals.

4: Has a full suite of scientific sensors, at least one Mystery Goo canister, and an antenna for transmitting data.

5: Can protect the kerbals from the bumps and crashes that come with blasting across the surface of a low gravity world at highway speeds.

6: Using modparts for structural and/or power generation is A-OK so long as you aren't having to resort to the debug menu.

There are optional objectives, as well. They are:

Make it look like an actual type of vehicle. Go-kart, ATV, car, whatever.

Make it able to self-right after a rollover.

Can be returned to Kerbin after the science has been mined.

Has a science bay fitted.

As for proof it's not impossible...well...here's my Space Van MkI: fd4OKJ5.jpg

Edited by Kenobi McCormick

See how fast you can reach the island with the island runway... In a boat!

Alternatively, use a manned jetboat and see how little fuel you can burn to get there.

Or you could just try using as little fuel as possible to get to the island runway with a Kerbal onboard, vehicle-type irrelevant. Of course, don't use an infiniglider for that.

Hi! I like your vids, but there's one thing you messed up a bit on. The FireSpitter parts don't include SAS, and that's what makes them hard to fly. They seem to be specifically designed for joystick users, and the pods don't include SAS or Gyros. It has nothing to do with not having torque. So actually, the stock biplane you made was just as realistic as the Jet, but just had SAS, which made it easier to fly. Also, making the runway wider helps quite a bit.

Also, as my challenge to you:

How fast can you land (No crashing. ^_^) a VTOL of your own design on the helipad.

Edited by Deathsoul097

So actually, the stock biplane you made was just as realistic as the Jet, but just had SAS, which made it easier to fly. Also, making the runway wider helps quite a bit.

Also, as my challenge to you:

How fast can you land (No crashing. ^_^) a VTOL of your own design on the helipad.

Well, my point in the video was that SAS is way overpowered in KSP, so even though reaction wheels do exist, it's not realistic for aircraft cockpits to have tons of torque. I originally tried going for more realism by using FAR, but after some experimenting, I couldn't make a plane that could fly less than 50 m/s in FAR, so I resorted to using stock aerodynamics.

Definitely true that making the runway wider would have helped. It's just that the design was already so long I couldn't see the whole thing in the VAB!

I like your challenge. I wanna try that! How fast in game (or real) time can I launch a VTOL and land on the VAB?

Design and fly a Mun Rover that fits the following requirements (...)

I like your challenge too. I'll most definitely use those wheels. Perhaps I'll see how fast I can drive on the Mun without exploding!

I definitely like that, too. Maybe I'll try put a spin on it by adding some rockets to my rover! Maybe. Maybe not. I'll have to think about it.

Tons of great challenges, guys! I'll could even make a video of me just doing challenges! Plus, I made another challenge for myself - do a back flip (and maybe a front flip) with a rover. I wonder if it's even possible. :sticktongue:

I challenge you to build, from scratch, an apollo-style Mun mission and complete it, from VAB to splashdown, in a single go without quicksaves or test flights

Ho ho ho! That sounds too easy....

Maybe I'll do a Tylo mission without quicksaves.... :)

I just love doing missions where something doesn't go as planned, but you still come out by the skin of your teeth.

I have an idea. Maybe you could make a rover/plane/boat. It could have to rove/drive to the end of the runway as a rover. Then boat? float? swim? to the island runway as a boat. Then rove up the mountain to the runway, and fly back to the KSC runway as a plane. Seems like it would be an interesting vehicle.

I have an idea. Maybe you could make a rover/plane/boat. It could have to rove/drive to the end of the runway as a rover. Then boat? float? swim? to the island runway as a boat. Then rove up the mountain to the runway, and fly back to the KSC runway as a plane. Seems like it would be an interesting vehicle.

Woah Mr. Rocket... you have sure come up with a brilliant challenge! I'm proud to say I have just successfully built a (stock) VTOL Rover/Boat SSTO that will be featured in the next video I upload. :wink:

Design and build a minmus lifter that can put Kethane into orbit... using only electricity and Xenon. A dedicated launcher on Minmus is allowed, so long as the launcher does not use liquid fuel or RCS fuel.

Bonus points if you can leave the Kethane in orbit and land again.

Extreme piloting you say? Well then... :wink:

Cupcake...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66293-Today-I-build-a-Rocket

Man, that's some awesome flying skillz there! Especially because he seems to be in cinematic mode and even using KerbCam at times - while flying!

The essence of extreme piloting is trial and error, though! :wink:

Man, that's some awesome flying skillz there! Especially because he seems to be in cinematic mode and even using KerbCam at times - while flying!

The essence of extreme piloting is trial and error, though! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz3tLcy3rig

I quite agree, I did do another "one take version" of the same challenge, took me roughly 10 minutes for the build (excluding the mission), that's the kind of kind of length you're looking for, right? :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

I quite agree, I did do another "one take version" of the same challenge, took me roughly 10 minutes for the build (excluding the mission), that's the kind of kind of length you're looking for, right? :)

Cupcake...

Woah! That's even more amazing than the previous video, because it was all in one continuous shot! I could try something like that, but it would take me a lot practice to get good at it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.