Should there be alien civilizations in future versions of KSP?

I want aliens, big mean ones coming to eat all the Kerbals, and they'll have to turn their space program to a war footing to defend themselves (with good realistic physics limiting it all).  What I don't want is such a game in KSP!

Big ship wrecks in space between Dres and Jool? Yes, please. Also interstellar visitors.

The best way to introduce this IMO would be having an alien probe on one of the bodies (best if it was random) that when visited would give you the Periapsis/Apoapsis/some other orbital coordinate of a much bigger ship in the outer solar system. Its position would also be random. That way everyone would be encouraged to search instead of going straight for the ship once somebody posts its position.

Edited by Wjolcz

53 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

Big ship wrecks in space between Dres and Jool? Yes, please. Also interstellar visitors.

The best way to introduce this IMO would be having an alien probe on one of the bodies (best if it was random) that when visited would give you the Periapsis/Apoapsis/some other orbital coordinate of a much bigger ship in the outer solar system. Its position would also be random. That way everyone would be encouraged to search instead of going straight for the ship once somebody posts its position.

That could be fun.

We already have crashed saucers so finding one adrift in space is sort of feasible.

2 hours ago, pandaman said:

That could be fun.

We already have crashed saucers so finding one adrift in space is sort of feasible.

Don't think they are randomly scattered though. Also I'd rather have something more iteresting to search for. Like a really big ship except very old looking and damaged so you can fly into it and explore a bit.

Edited by Wjolcz

5 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

Don't think they are randomly scattered though. Also I'd rather have something more iteresting to search for. Like a really big ship except very old looking and damaged so you can fly into it and explore a bit.

That would be especially cool if they added POV IVAs and you could walk between compartments/open doors or whatever. Doubt they will tho

On 5/18/2018 at 6:54 PM, Wjolcz said:

True.  The current saucers and the other anomalies are not random, apart from the relatively new 'green' monoliths.  

I don't think it's a huge leap to randomly place some more saucers etc. and perhaps a very big one somewhere.  They could even use the existing mechanics and have them be a very rare type of asteroid.

Not sure how easy or practical it would be to have them randomly placed and also give clues to the location of a randomly placed 'mothership' though.

3 hours ago, pandaman said:

True.  The current saucers and the other anomalies are not random, apart from the relatively new 'green' monoliths.  

I don't think it's a huge leap to randomly place some more saucers etc. and perhaps a very big one somewhere.  They could even use the existing mechanics and have them be a very rare type of asteroid.

Not sure how easy or practical it would be to have them randomly placed and also give clues to the location of a randomly placed 'mothership' though.

YEAH! Plus maybe ruins of an alien civilization (Which is in fact the kerbals (see before kerbin)) on eve

38 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

I thought this was already done :sticktongue: - Pony-People / Laytheans! (At least it is from this narrative :) ) Thx @Just Jim

Hahaha.... awesome!

But in all fairness, it was @Geschosskopf that started the idea of Laytheans... He was just nice enough to let me expand on the idea in my own way...

It would be fun to see the Laytheans catch on... and to the actual topic, I'd love to see any kind of aliens... or maybe more Easter Eggs and such hinting at other civilizations... in future releases.

Edited by Just Jim

Aliens that kill Kerbals and chase you around in space sounds like a fun aspect for the game, that would make it more interesting to play.

At first i thought 'KSP is a spaceflight simulator game, no fun allowed!', but aliens don't ruin the really ruin the keeping it real aspect like warp drives and terraforming does.

On 5/22/2018 at 8:17 PM, Just Jim said:

Hahaha.... awesome!

But in all fairness, it was @Geschosskopf that started the idea of Laytheans... He was just nice enough to let me expand on the idea in my own way...

It would be fun to see the Laytheans catch on... and to the actual topic, I'd love to see any kind of aliens... or maybe more Easter Eggs and such hinting at other civilizations... in future releases.

Or maybe Alien facegrabber pods... Now that would be cool...

5 hours ago, NSEP said:

Aliens that kill Kerbals and chase you around in space sounds like a fun aspect for the game, that would make it more interesting to play.

At first i thought 'KSP is a spaceflight simulator game, no fun allowed!', but aliens don't ruin the really ruin the keeping it real aspect like warp drives and terraforming does.

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Or maybe Alien facegrabber pods... Now that would be cool...

Working on it :wink:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, mattinoz said:

So if Kerbals aren't aliens are you saying they are humans or monkeys evoled to suit the high density transfermation that wiped out all live in the solar system?

I think they are fungus ... basically the kerbals are the mushroom flowers of a fungus living under the ground of kerbin

Something like WH40k Ork's

No. There are literally hundreds of video games about encountering aliens. KSP's thing is how it feels like the kind of space exploration possible today, with close to real life rules, close to real life physics. Any aliens hopping around would distract, and detract from that.

There's a lot of other things they could fill the game up with, if they ever make use of the game's full potential.

On 5/27/2018 at 10:37 AM, DoctorDavinci said:

I think they are fungus ... basically the kerbals are the mushroom flowers of a fungus living under the ground of kerbin

Something like WH40k Ork's

Lol... you maybe the first person to call Ork's from WH40k fun guys.

On 5/27/2018 at 3:19 AM, Tw1 said:

No. There are literally hundreds of video games about encountering aliens. KSP's thing is how it feels like the kind of space exploration possible today, with close to real life rules, close to real life physics. Any aliens hopping around would distract, and detract from that.

There's a lot of other things they could fill the game up with, if they ever make use of the game's full potential.

I don't think a randomly placed alien spaceship that does nothing except floats in space would hurt anybody. It would basically be a reskinned monolith except you would have to search for multiple clues in order to find it. IMO that's a nice way to nudge players to search for stuff and explore a bit more. I can't really think of reward for finding it. I'm thinking maybe warp drive tech (only available in career and science modes for finding the relic) but that would probably be a bit too much for the stock game.

I agree about the full potential part. KSP still needs a couple of things before I can call it a finished game.

Edited by Wjolcz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.