[0.90] Custom Biomes 1.7.0 [17 Dec]

Trueborn

So I'm running with jsimmons' 10x kerbol system, an RSS mod, and for some reason, the biome maps seem cropped wrong or something. When I open the biome map, the map image doesn't quite fit the 'map frame' and the image sits in the very top of the frame. This causes the mod to give me a wildly wrong position with the yellow 'x'. Also the maps are mirrored left to right. I can possibly provide screens but haven't at this time.

I have stopped development of Custom Biomes (see above for discussion), though I believe NathanKell will be doing some work to support it for RSS.

hunsowboarder: If you are running KSP 0.25 and Custom Biomes 1.7.0, I can't tell you what to expect as it was compiled against 0.90. You can go here to look for old versions.

powellmorgan: The new version of KSP handles biomes differently than earlier versions. Previously, an offset was required in the texture (90 degrees of longitude) for it to line up with the terrain. I'm not sure if that has been changed. You'll have to take it up with the biome map's author.

I have stopped development of Custom Biomes (see above for discussion), though I believe NathanKell will be doing some work to support it for RSS.

hunsowboarder: If you are running KSP 0.25 and Custom Biomes 1.7.0, I can't tell you what to expect as it was compiled against 0.90. You can go here to look for old versions.

powellmorgan: The new version of KSP handles biomes differently than earlier versions. Previously, an offset was required in the texture (90 degrees of longitude) for it to line up with the terrain. I'm not sure if that has been changed. You'll have to take it up with the biome map's author.

Trueborn, does your licensing allow for a fork and redistribution? If so, I may pick up development for the mod later on in the semester.

Thank you.

I'm a bit confused, is this supposed to replace the new biomes or what exactly? I get in the first post that there aren't custom science stuff for the new stock biomes yet, but I just tried it in a new sandbox game and looked at things with cheat mode and things don't seem any different.

I'm using this in conjunction with Dmagic science stuff. Also, I'm noticing that the biomes don't even match the terrain features for Eve, it's like they're rotated off of where the terrain features actually are. How do I fix this?

Actually, no they seem to be mirror imaged somehow. It happens with the other planets and moons, especially noticeable with Laythe.

Edited by smjjames

Unless the "Dmagic science stuff" replaces biomes or adds new science results, then you don't need Custom Biomes at all. If it does replace biomes, and has not updated them since 0.90 dropped, then the biomes files probably need to be updated. KSP changed the way it handled biomes in the latest update, so biomes textures may not require the 90 degree "rotation" that they previously did. Still, all that's up to Dmagic. If you're just using Custom Biomes as a map to see where you are in relation to biomes, don't :). Use SCANsat or another mapping mod.

GIMP has an offset command that I think I used initially to get them set up for the old version. Layer->Transform->Offset, or Shift+Ctrl+O. Offset 200 or -200 pixels in the x axis, and make sure wrap is selected. The texture should appear to slide left or right. Try it one way, then the other to see which way is correct, and then fine tune as necessary. Your image editor of choice may call it something different, and MS Paint isn't going to cut it.

• 1 month later...

This mod still works fine for Duna, but I can't get it to work for Kerbin - for some reason, all the biomes come up as water. The map shows up perfectly with the 'Show biomes in map' cheat, but wherever I go on or around Kerbin it says my current biome is Kerbin's Water. I've redone the maps, updated the config file and done everything I can think of, but only the KSC biomes work properly. And it seems to be only Kerbin that has this problem.

• 2 months later...

The problem I was having was caused by the number at the top of the Kerbin biome config being 50. I copied the config from the 'Empty' folder, and that config was causing the problem. But I changed the number at the top to 0, and now it works perfectly. I have created configs of my own and they all work well. Sorry for the slow response

• 2 weeks later...

There are biomes on all of the planets as of 0.90 (beta). Thus, custom biomes is no longer required to get biomes on the planets. It is used in some planet addition/replacement mods, but I am no longer maintaining it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.