[0.90] Custom Biomes 1.7.0 [17 Dec]

Trueborn

bsMPo6t.png

Download from Curse

Alt Download

Announcing the release of Custom Biomes 1.7.0

Custom Biomes adds biomes to the rest of the celestial bodies in KSP. It also allows for the replacement of any biomes already in the game. It runs automatically in the background at startup, and doesn't require any user intervention. The biomes are fully compatible with KSP's science system, and display correctly for mods like SCANsat as well.

To install, simply extract the CustomBiomes folder into your GameData directory.

Custom Biomes supports user customizable biomes for any celestial body, so it should be compatible with mods that add new planets. What it does not have yet is an expanded ScienceDefs file for custom results for the new biomes. I have made a set of terrain maps (from SCANsat) available in case anyone wants to make their own biomes.

Version 1.7.0 is compatible with KSP 0.90. Toolbar is now optional for Custom Biomes, and is no longer included in the download.

4y9rCsl.png

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]j18DHIB.png[/TD]

[TD]0AqTdTr.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

tZe1FE2.png

Alt Download

Source code.

Download elevation maps.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Edited by Trueborn
Version 1.7.0 Release.

Version 1.6.7
0.25 compatibility release.

Version 1.6.6
Fixed a bug that prevented some Linux users from loading biomes.

Version 1.6.5
Fixed a bug that displayed a button even when the GUI is disabled through the config file.

Version 1.6.4
Fixed a bug that added extra buttons when using the stock Application Launcher.

Version 1.6.3
Added integration for the stock toolbar a.k.a. Application Launcher.
Removed integration with and requirement for Blizzy's toolbar.

Version 1.6.2
0.24.2 compatibility patch.
Custom Biomes will no longer disable itself on detecting a newer version of KSP, but will announce that it may be incompatible.

Version 1.6.1
0.24.1 compatibility patch.

Version 1.6
0.24 compatibility patch.

Version 1.4
Fixed several compatibility issues with Linux and Mac.

Version 1.3
Fixed a bug in default set loading.

[U]Version 1.2[/U]
Added ability to load biome sets.
Added default biome set on a per-save basis.
Added ability to disable biome loading for specific saves.

[U]Version 1.1[/U]
Updated biome maps to match underlying terrain better.

[U]Version 1.0[/U]
Initial release.

Biome Creation Information

Biome Map Format: 1024x512 PNG file, named CELESTIALBODY.png

Attribute File format (this file names the biomes) named CELESTIALBODY.att

Search Threshold (float)
Biome Name (string)
Alpha value (0-255 int or 0-1 float)
Red value (0-255 int or 0-1 float)
Green value (0-255 int or 0-1 float)
Blue value (0-255 int or 0-1 float)
(next biome)

Science Results.txt Format:

id = ExperimentID

BodyConditionBiome = The text you want to see

id = AnotherExperiment

DunaSrfLandedMountains = Here in the mountains, you conduct an experiment and gather the results.

Edited by Trueborn
Version 1.6.7 release.

Is it me, or is that scansat map wrong? The biomes seem to be displacedto the left by about 120 degrees.

Awesome job on the biomes though! This will become a must have install. Finally I can just skip the boring mun landings and go straight for Duna.

Second post updated to include some file formatting. Some important notes about creating biomes:

Currently, the file names must be capitalized and match the celestial body exactly. This means for the sun or the mun, it must be "THE SUN.png".

The texture file should be 1024x512 in resolution. Each biome is represented by a distinct color. I'm not quite sure how KSP's rounding works for the colors, so try to keep them somewhat separate. The map is a cylindrical projection of the body in question, so imagine a lat/long grid overlaid on top of the image. So, there are about 3 pixels per degree. Each pixel has four components, a Red, Green, Blue and Alpha channel. These aren't really meaningful in the game, except for Alpha (in the image, the transparency channel). This is assigned to the "value" of the biome, which means you should be able to make certain biomes less important than others. All of the stock biomes, however, use the full value of 1.0 for all alpha channels.

The attribute file is a plain text file that tells the game what the different biomes are called. Simply list the name, then alpha channel, then red, green, and blue channels. They can be either an integer from 0 to 255, or a float from 0.0 to 1.0.

Now, if you conduct an experiment in a new biome, you will get the default results text. To get cool, specific results, the ScienceDefs.cfg file will need to be edited. I plan on asking the Crowd Sourced Science folks for help on this, but here's all there is to it.

Pick your favorite experiment, and find it in ScienceDefs.cfg. Pick your favorite celestial body, biome, and condition, and make up a result. So, "DunaInSpace = The Goo takes on a red sheen, it looks very much like the planet below." could be more specific like "DunaSrfLandedPoles = The Goo freezes in Duna's thin polar air." As you can see, it isn't hard, but there are a lot of options.

Is it me, or is that scansat map wrong? The biomes seem to be displacedto the left by about 120 degrees.

Awesome job on the biomes though! This will become a must have install. Finally I can just skip the boring mun landings and go straight for Duna.

Hmm, you're absolutely right. That is somewhat awkward, as I built the maps directly over SCANsat's altimetry output. Bizarre, but I suppose I can fix it by sliding the images around. I'll see if that's universal, or planet dependent.

There are a lot of new definitions that will be needed. I'm seeing if the folks at Crowd sourced Science will start contributing definitions, but it will probably be a while before they're all finished. In the mean time, it should use the default result for whatever experiment you're conducting.

Edited by Trueborn
Lot, not log

I'm on it......

Is there a list of accepted geopgraphical formationns I.E. Is there a name for the canyon on Duna or can I come up with my own

Well, they're custom, so you can use whatever you want. The moon and mars tend to have Latin names for stuff (silly scientists), but I don't know how well you can Kerbalize Latin. I also have a list of the biome names I'm using.

Also, I have uploaded a version 1.1, which has a new set of biome maps. They are the same, but shifted 255 pixels so that they should all match SCANsat's biome map. There is also a "patch" file that contains only the changed PNGs. And finally, I updated the elevation maps to reflect the change, so home built biomes will match up as well.

Download version 1.1

Download fixed biomes only.

Download fixed elevation maps.

Edited by Trueborn
Formatting.

Custom Biomes version 1.2 is now available for download.

Get it from Kerbal SpacePort or the alternate download link in the first post.

There are three main features that should improve usability in this release. The first is what I call biome sets. Biomes are loaded as groups, defined by folders within the CustomBiomes\PluginData\CustomBiomes folder. The release comes with three sets. The first is called "Basic," and is the same as the 1.1 biomes. The next is called "Disable," and is empty. The third is called "Empty," which is a terrible name, but it blanks out all the new biomes, and reverts to the three stock biomes.

These sets are extra useful, because you can now specify which set gets loaded on startup. Clicking on the "Default Sets" button will display a list of all save games in the current KSP installation. Under each save game is a button for each biome set. Click on the one you want to load when you load up that game.

The final tab is called "Biome Sets," and lists the installed biomes. Clicking on the "Load Biome Set" button will immediately load the biome set into the game. This will let you test out different sets (if anyone else ever develops them).

And finally, Crowd Sourced Science Logs has agreed to add my biomes to their automated system, so sometime this weekend we can start adding results to the CSSL.

4y9rCsl.png

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]j18DHIB.png[/TD]

[TD]0AqTdTr.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Trueborn
Formatting.

Looks very nice. As you can probably guess, the maps included in the release were all done fairly quickly. Some extra time can bring out a lot more details. If I may ask, are you using your own biomes names as well as developing maps?

Yes. I'm using the basic low/mid/highlands as well as coming up with major feature names. I'm also looking at the stuff you've done already. No point in reinventing the wheel.

This is the first mod I've see that I could actualy contribute to.

Right now I'm testing, and seeing some issues. Let me try 1.21 and see if they are fixed

I can't say that I've tried it, but it doesn't touch the tech tree. It should be compatible with everything that doesn't replace biomes, which is everything. But if it breaks, by all means let me know and I'll take a look at it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.