Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Duna Direct Hab. Ignore the Mission Controller stuff there.

xAZEu3W.png

Also, I tested your craft, and it does seem pretty hard to control. It starts flying straight up for me until about 10,000m, then it starts yawing a little bit to the right. After the solids burn out, it becomes controllable and seems to fly better.

Edited by GusTurbo

the problem comes from the large decoupler - there's a bug thread already on it :) - it basically exists because the decoupler has the 'non physic part' activated.

either solution : disable the flag in the part config, or use another decoupler on top of it and never stage the decoupler directly :)

My Ares rocket yaws to the right on launch :/

http://i.imgur.com/HFmc4H6.png

ive tested the thing, and it seems that the clipped skippers thrust in the boosters can hit your SRB's. (basically, the 'thrust emission point' of liquid engines originates from the beginning of the nozzle.)

basically, what happens is at some times, only one of the two skipper's thrust is blocked - resulting in the consequence shown in the image you posted :)

oh, and one small thing - if those tailcones are directly surface attached to the rockomax tank, you should not need fuel lines to fuel the LVT-30s :)

Regards,

Sgt_flyer

Edited by sgt_flyer

ive tested the thing, and it seems that the clipped skippers thrust in the boosters can hit your SRB's. (basically, the 'thrust emission point' of liquid engines originates from the beginning of the nozzle.)

basically, what happens is at some times, only one of the two skipper's thrust is blocked - resulting in the consequence shown in the image you posted :)

oh, and one small thing - if those tailcones are directly surface attached to the rockomax tank, you should not need fuel lines to fuel the LVT-30s :)

Regards,

Sgt_flyer

For some reason, one engine wound not receive fuel

The lifter isn't really the important part of Zubrin's plan, or at least that was my take on the book.

Also, I really hate these new decouplers. They cause too many random explosions and stupid things to happen. How did they not notice how bad they were during testing?

Edited by GusTurbo

The new decoupler is somewhat... unstable... .

That's underselling it.

Not only does it completely refuse to obey staging rules, but I've even had it outright destroy parts/ whole ships. You may as well just bomb the craft. The old Rockomax decoupler does the job just fine though, even with Super-heavy stuff.

The new decoupler is somewhat... unstable... .

I noticed that sometimes it continues to be part of your ship and the whole point of gravity of the craft moves kms behind. (resulting in being unable to see your spaceship in the normal view). Only by pressing space again and get rid of the empty stage which is still there I manage to restore normality again..

Ran some tests on Venus. There are good news and bad news.

The good news is that I was able to achieve a terminal velocity of 140 m/s at 4km on Venus.

This means I might be able to get to orbit with less delta V, so I could scale down the lander from 1600 tons to 575 tons.

The bad news is that ascending at terminal velocity on Venus is difficult.

VenusLanderFail1.png

More strutting is required XD

Edited by maccollo