Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I'm making a somewhat realistic PAK FA T-50 (similar weight and size) made to work in FAR (aesthetic secondary), really curious to see how it will handle..

s9m4TCm.jpg

mtfnWSC.jpg

WIP

The all new SSI Proton T shuttlecraft prototype for .90: 3 Kerbal SSTO capable of rountrips from 120km station, to KSC, and back up again, plus more. (and yes that's a universal docking port before Offset was invented)

L5DeRci.png

IW0Q5uL.png

9mkUp04.png

ljsJUG2.png

YtWTeDt.png

OXk05uJ.png

Edited by inigma

For those of you who wanted moar shots:

(I may have to switch to the bigger landing struts, the mini ones are pretty weak)

And bugger, it's a little too big for the Apollo! The old one was much better with scale.

screenshot23417_zpsxxckjgkx.png

screenshot23424_zpstuyylp2u.png

2lWVWmH.png

Work continues as turning the body upside down solves every problem there was because KSP aerodynamics is dumb and I can't wait for 1.0 to finally get here.

vO9jmlK.png

Not exactly a fan of the aesthetic but in this case function and form couldn't work together.

qPnR4VJ.png

I241VqA.png

YE-8 lander + Lunokhod - 204 parts WIP - 4.865 tons.

E1IjEI3l.jpg

i managed to get two double folding (the ramps were articulated in the middle) but it proved too unreliable and added too much parts to be of real use :) (when it worked only 25% of the time, i decided not to follow double folding ramps like on the real one, and gone with only simple 1 hinge articulated ramp on each side :P)

gave me a hard time finetuning though :P (thanks hyperedit to give kerbin mun like characteristics to test out the lander deployement :P)

almost ready...

Edited by sgt_flyer

I'd recommend not having a flat front wing-edge on the craft, as the increased drag can slow down the craft heavily and lead to unbalanced flight.

@darth lazarus Looks nice but aren't the boosters a wee too small?

depends on the reference pictures. on some the SRB's are thicker, on some they have the size like in KSP.

but i think i wil lrework the second stage and add the fifth engine for the maincore

Edited by Darth Lazarus

depends on the reference pictures. on some the SRB's are thicker, on some they have the size like in KSP.

but i think i wil lrework the second stage and add the fifth engine for the maincore

Well, SLS using the STS components as a basis, it's quite easy to 'shrink' it to KSP's.

- the shuttle's ET is 8.4m in real life - our kerbodynes are 3.75m - so that gives us 8.4 / 3.75 = a 2.24 scale ratio.

Now the SRB's are 3.71m in diameter in real life, which gives us a 3.71 / 2.24 = 1.65m for a ksp equivalent :)

So yes, it'll be quite hard to pinpoint the good diameters with stock KSP parts ;)