Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Sooo what do you guys think im building? here is small piece of the puzzle

http://i.imgur.com/j30FgVC.jpg

I think its going to be thousands of parts......

First bowling, now CHESS? XD

- - - Updated - - -

That jumbo tank may be a bit too tiny

It's 3.75 m.

Well, the Mk3 cargo bay is its casing xD

- - - Updated - - -

The knights are going to be VTOLS :cool: and you can beat the other pieces to death with your piece is my idea. should be a fun chess game.. however laggy

Chessus xD Try checkers before chess for experimenting? Basically just disks on a board, so less parts, less lag! :D

Will you hyperedit that thing?

Not planning to. I intend to somehow partition it up into launchable segments and then assemble and fuel them in orbit.

Hot tip, if you do not connect the wings with fuel in them up with fuel connectors the fuel in the wings will all burn at an even rate k_smiley.gif

I thought that would be the case, but Kerbal Engineer claimed the fuel in the wings was "unused" so I added some lines just in case. Most of the fuel lines visible are temporary anyway; I intend to put them in better-looking places once the hull design is finalized.

P.S. Thanks for repping me! You were the proverbial straw that bumped me up to TWO light green bars! :D

Edited by parameciumkid

Here's another vintage plane to go with my Sopwith Pup. I'm testing an LFO engine system in the hopes of making it more fuel efficient. Little luck so far.

4qp8GZ4.jpg

Rep for the first person to correctly guess what plane it is. If you've read the Pup's thread, you may know...

Here's another vintage plane to go with my Sopwith Pup. I'm testing an LFO engine system in the hopes of making it more fuel efficient. Little luck so far.

http://i.imgur.com/4qp8GZ4.jpg

Rep for the first person to correctly guess what plane it is. If you've read the Pup's thread, you may know...

Isn't LFO the opposite of efficient in atmosphere?

Isn't LFO the opposite of efficient in atmosphere?
It's quite possible to clip a jet engine inside the tail connecter.

Well, I was using a monopropellant system for the Pup because jet engines are quite bulky when working with planes this small. I may clip one in to see if it works, but wouldn't it cause the tail to overheat from exhaust?

Well, I was using a monopropellant system for the Pup because jet engines are quite bulky when working with planes this small. I may clip one in to see if it works, but wouldn't it cause the tail to overheat from exhaust?

Depends on how you position it (offset)

nah, don't worry :) if the exhaust does not collide with the tail's mesh, it won't affect it at all :) (and if it does collide with the mesh, well, you'll have no thrust :P)

the thrust exhaust wake is not modelized in KSP - every exhaust is simply a vector originating from somewhere in the middle of the engine. (generally, at the engine's gimbal point / the part's origin for non gimbal engines)

so, you'll have something like : Fuel tank, - engine. then, use a 1.25m nosecone (slanted or not) turned forward, clipped inside the fuel tank (to prevent atrocious drag :P) then, attach the tail to the nosecone's node. (though, be careful that your control surfaces don't intersect with the exhaust's vector :P)

http://i.imgur.com/4qp8GZ4.jpg

Fokker E1 Eindecker.

Knew the plane but couldnt remember the name so I had to look it up in my aircraft encyclopedia.

Fokker E1 Eindecker.

Knew the plane but couldnt remember the name so I had to look it up in my aircraft encyclopedia.

Close. Fokker E.III Eindecker. :D

Still though, you win. The differences between the different Eindecker models is pretty difficult and pointless to model in KSP. The only easily noticeable difference would be the presence of machine guns. I think the E.II was the first to be armed, and some later models, such as the E.IV had two guns. Max Immelman was given a special three gun Eindecker according to a book I have with an extensive section on the aircraft.

I will attempt to replace the rocket engines with a jet, and probably shorten the plane by a little bit. Maneuverability could also be improved, but I don't want it to be too maneuverable, especially since it used wing warping for control.

What do you think of me including a small bomb or missile attached to the bottom of the Pup and Eindecker? I know it isn't accurate, but it could allow people to attack targets with the planes.