Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Prior to the great arrival of 1.0.3, I was able to set work on an Avro Lancaster replica.

It flies rather well in 1.0.2. Before the update, I was able to build a "Grand Slam" and "Cookie Blockbuster" bomb replica payloads. I'm desperately hoping it flies in 1.0.3 as well :D

464Q64T.jpg

spCdekm.jpg

Also, on a side note, I'm working on a new avatar:

ZU83Cub.jpg

In a twist of irony, this was traced from Space Shuttle Endeavour. :sticktongue:

In other news, I decided to once again tackle the iconic Space Shuttle. I've built many of these, but things usually went haywire after booster sep, so my previous attempt got shelved after a couple of rebuilds. But this time I got it to work :D

http://i.imgur.com/Kt5Vgxj.png?1

All solid boosters, not too much clippy stuff, drogue chute for landing, accurate RCS, LFO for the SSMEs and monoprop for the OMS. Hell, even the lift-off has the signature wobble before the solids kick in. Oh, and did I mention she's to scale? Yeah, and with 56.6%, she fits in nicely with my other replicas. Still figuering out the max payload, so far I had fuel to spare with an 11t payload.

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar ~

Nice shuttle you got there! I'm still secretly hoping that Squad will add "slightly" larger/wider/longer boosters (Jeb would certainly approve of this, those would really be badass) to the game. Mk3 boosters if you will, so we won't have to clip and extend the boosters to make them somewhat to scale. I'm not a big fan of clipping haha :sticktongue:

Edited by ToyotaTim

I'm going to make the same old, tired joke: "If it doesn't fly, you've replicated it perfectly!"

I tried making one but it only works with procedural fairings because you cant strut onto stock ones

This is the first proto-type of a new "AVE" (Advanced Exploration Vehicle, We'll name it something cool later). Requirements are, must hold a crew of at least 6, be amphibious (We'll get to Laythe one day...), be able to carry and operate with a reasonable load of science gear or mining equipment, and most importantly... look cool.

CWgl7qe.jpg?1

h8AaD4H.jpg?1

And here we have the bits and bobs to provide movement in the water (or if we just want to go a bit faster)

bk50Rui.jpg?1

So far things are looking good. Enough room for the crew or equipment. Actually drives. And it can move 2m/s in water! Just need to tweak a few things, add a bit more floaty bits to the front end (dips down a bit in the water), fix it's tendency to flip over in turns, and decide on how we want to power this sucker.

Nice shuttle you got there! I'm still secretly hoping that Squad will add "slightly" larger/wider/longer boosters (Jeb would certainly approve of this, those would really be badass) to the game. Mk3 boosters if you will, so we won't have to clip and extend the boosters to make them somewhat to scale. I'm not a big fan of clipping haha :sticktongue:

Yeah, a 2.5m stock SRB would be awesome. I't doesn't look like it, but the Shuttle's SRB's were quite wide, more than 3m diameter to the core's 8.4m. Even with KSP's scale, that doesn't really work out with 3.75m vs 1.25m parts. It may seem better than 2.5m boosters around a 3.75 core at first look, but you also have to take into account the denser liquid fuel in KSP, of course, so 2.5m booster + 3.75m core should work out great, mass-wise... and look-wise, the ET would look just a bit skinny with the Mk3 shuttle on top, but the shuttle/SRB proportions would be just great. I would have to empty them a lot, tough, since my STS replicas usually make do with just four Kickbacks (or less, before there were kickbacks), and this would work out to eight times the fuel if it followed the increase in volume.

Rune. I usually build much lighter than average!

Commencing Typhoon missile launch tests (from dry land, because I forgot to install KerbinSide).

Pw9XCbc.jpg

The cargo bay is open because the game wont let me fire the engine while it's stowed. i can't think of any workaround to this besides removing the bay or opening it for firing. The farthest range I've been able to achieve is 21.5 km, almost to the Island Runway, but not quite. I just have to test this thing's performance in the water and it should be good to go!

Yeah, that does bug me that I can't fire engines within cargo bays. Granted, it's usually for a good reason, but for situations where at least one end of the cargo bays are open, it should let you fire them anyway.

Yeah, that does bug me that I can't fire engines within cargo bays. Granted, it's usually for a good reason, but for situations where at least one end of the cargo bays are open, it should let you fire them anyway.

If the part count wasn't so high already (over 400), I would make my own missile tubes out of wings or structural panels. But that interior really drives up the number of parts.

Maybe I'll release a stripped down economy class version with no interior.