Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Proof of concept VTOL design, the angled engine gives it a number of features to help cope with the basic jet nerfing in 1.0.3+:

-Same engine can provide both horizontal and vertical thrust, cutting at least 1.5 tonnes of weight. Can get to 160m/s in horizontal flight.

-Because the engine provides some vertical thrust in horizontal flight, smaller wings can be used, cutting more weight.

-In vertical flight with some forward speed the resultant high angle attack of the wing gives some lift to make up for low TWR.

-Unfortunately, it's design does make it hard to land.

The concept works well, so the plan is to use it in something more useful and less wierd looking.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

See, the problem is that "the boring stock cockpit" allows me to have a functional replica at under 50 parts. Which, when you go about flying the missions with the replica aroundo the huge ring stations, makes the game run much more enjoyably. Besides, I can't add much to the awesome way you guys build compound fuselages, so I focus on making them as good to handle as I can "keeping 9 tenths of the looks". I'll see if I can prettify it a bit though. I didn't even look at any pics from the original building it.

Rune. I leave the computer-melting stuff to you guys!

Fair enough man. Each to his own I guess.

Man man oh man such respect and friendship that's incredible. Majorjim teach me how to be a good human you're so honest and great.

-removed-

Yolo

Edited by tetryds

Cutting weight is fine, as long as it's not replaced by more fuel and/or less flight time. Unless weight is a problem, the heavier craft may perform better.

The basic jets can only lift 6.5 tons excluding themselves.

Judging by what is visible the craft weighs 5.2 excluding the jet. He's got a little wiggle room.

Sabre is still being a pain in the ass on the 22nd variant of the fifth version of the second craft to serve the same purpose. Makes me wish the turbojets had 10kn more thrust, just 10, that's all I want.

oh man you just pulled a scotty....that's gonna be bad... you know, if you are talking trash about a third party you might not want to make that public this caused a lot of trouble before

>Snip<

Nobody wants a repeat of the rocket builders incident.

oh man you just pulled a scotty....that's gonna be bad... you know, if you are talking trash about a third party you might not want to make that public this caused a lot of trouble before

Ninja>:(

The basic jets can only lift 6.5 tons excluding themselves.

Judging by what is visible the craft weighs 5.2 excluding the jet. He's got a little wiggle room.

Sabre is still being a pain in the ass on the 22nd variant of the fifth version of the second craft to serve the same purpose. Makes me wish the turbojets had 10kn more thrust, just 10, that's all I want.

The worst thing is that thrust drops off really fast with altitude, so the craft I posted a few posts ago would not have been able to land/take off even in the foothills of the mountains west of KSC. just a little thrust increase would make so much difference, really I'd want the basic jets to have a higher static TWR than the turbojets, which would make more sense (to me at least.)

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody wants a repeat of the rocket builders incident.

Agreed. Please, nobody blow up my favourite thread on the forums. What was this rocket builders incident people keep talking about though? It sounds messy.

The worst thing is that thrust drops off really fast with altitude, so the craft I posted a few posts ago would not have been able to land/take off even in the foothills of the mountains west of KSC. just a little thrust increase would make so much difference, really I'd want the basic jets to have a higher static TWR than the turbojets, which would make more sense (to me at least.)

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Please, nobody blow up my favourite thread on the forums. What was this rocket builders incident people keep talking about though? It sounds messy.

I don't remember. This though.. I had a stupid hissy fit with Rune a while back. It's in the past and there is no bad feelings between us.

So if my past actions upset anyone I apologise. Lets just leave this where it belongs. In the past.

Edited by sal_vager

I see basic jets as unusable in their current state. The turbos add 50kn in and only weigh .3 more.

Honestly, all the jet engines are kinda crappy now.

When I worked out the static TWR's of the jets the basic jets had around 5.4 and the turbos 7.5, which made a huge difference. But the problem was they gave so much drag in forward flight it made soem planes unusable, and the ISP is half of the basic jets.

I can see why squad wanted to change the jets from their super-powerful 0.90 state (TWR around 15 I think), but now VTOL's just aren't fun. Their must be some way to balance the two, maybe adding ducted lift fans or something?

I see basic jets as unusable in their current state. The turbos add 50kn in and only weigh .3 more.

Honestly, all the jet engines are kinda crappy now.

I feel the same way. Hell, if it weren't for the SR-71 effects (Which look good but not on an airliner), I would've used turbojets all the way.

Honestly, I knew they needed a slight nerf, but not to this extent, where it's all obsolete.

- - - Updated - - -

Man man oh man such respect and friendship that's incredible. Majorjim teach me how to be a good human you're so honest and great.

http://i.imgur.com/m3gwmPE.jpg

Yolo

..I need to hide in a bunker.

*flips nuclear alarm switch and takes cover

I feel the same way. Hell, if it weren't for the SR-71 effects (Which look good but not on an airliner), I would've used turbojets all the way.

Honestly, I knew they needed a slight nerf, but not to this extent, where it's all obsolete.

That's the other issue, the new effects where exhaust interacts with the ground look great when taking off in a rocket, but when you have to have jets firing at/near the ground for extended periods of time (boats, VTOLs), the lag is unbearable, and no way I can find to turn it off. And the new turbojet effects do look super-silly on an airliner.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you think of this as a solution? (kind of going off topic here, sorry)

-Ducted fans would be added: Very efficient, good TWR, designed for slow flight and vtols. Thrust would drop off very fast much over 100m/s or so, keeping it balanced.

-Basic jets would be partially un-nerfed to make them more useful next to turbojets, which seem to have become the only jet worth using.

I don't remember. This though.. I had a stupid hissy fit with Rune a while back. It's in the past and there is no bad feelings between us.

So if my past actions upset anyone I apologise. Lets just leave this where it belongs. In the past.

The "ignore list" is the best thing since sliced bread.

Rune. And I've already devoted too much time to the subject. 'Nuff said!

Edited by sal_vager

zXk0pIe.png

Variant 23 flew with a smaller profile but due to a lack of VTOL engine it is not applicable to Lathe or useful for the attack of Planetside targets. V-24 will experiment with a single rotating engine.

1kNZWGl.png

tkqRBU0.png

All variants must remain below 12 tons in order to take-off.

Changing focus to a project which is more limited by my PC than game changes...

k9hBEWY.png

I'm working on adding more detail to my New Horizons and touching up MSL.

New Horizons without science instruments is ~100 parts and finished MSL is 128 so I have plenty of room to add more detail before my PC starts lagging out(~190 parts)

They both come with Atlas V 551's

MSL

8C7F6D384DDA3608EC2A98E577A182F7CFC3ADAB

CB6DD9E75FB9F68C6B8EFEBD7AA06B5FB43DFB2F

EC1ABCBF7F54DEC4A06CF8402AF314B9FD07D01F

New Horizons

C0B66B1FF1A6962F05E61FFCC8B68E9981E5E55A

Second prototype using my tilted engine VTOL idea, this time 50% less pointless and a little better looking.

Still very hard to fly, very hard to kill forward speed before landing without gaining too much altitude. Next stop, heavy airbrakes.

http://i.imgur.com/MZBeX2n.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/E7BrS5W.jpg

Ever thought of replacing those landing legs with landing gear to make an VSTOL?

I'd imagine it would be fun to use landing gears to kill horizontal speed... :P

Ever thought of replacing those landing legs with landing gear to make an VSTOL?

I'd imagine it would be fun to use landing gears to kill horizontal speed... :P

I would, but the small landing gear are too short and the medium would add 0.5 tonnes of dead weight. That's one of the many issues with the design, but I still think the concept has potential, if only for a light crew transport vtol.

V-24 was so bad I pretended it didn't happen and named V-25 V-24. Once the engine started turning the craft dropped out of the sky.

DJge3vF.png

The second V-24 was more lightening, but the lack of crew pod did not remove enough mass to allow VTOL.

FvLrf8R.png

V-25 was a rebuild with MK3 wings, did not VTOL.

vqGzCOU.png

SvpRL6r.png

V-26 was an aesthetic upgrade to V-23, same as usual.