Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

That's a spot-on replica! I love the way you used the airbrakes for the pop-out "wings" on it. :)

I should mention that it can't really fly in the atmosphere. The second picture was taken after a failed attempt to fly it to orbit on a giant SRB with wings. Next time I'll just use hyperedit.

As for the airbrakes, they have a strange problem which involves them not responding to action groups. I can't use the default brakes action group because it would prevent me from using the wheel brakes, so I set them to extend/retract with AG1, but when I hit that action group in flight, nothing happens.

As soon as I iron out these small bugs and confirm that it can maneuver at least in space, I'll release it. Provided I don't get distracted by Silent Hunter 5 again, I can probably get this out tomorrow or Monday.

Welp, had little time for KSP today. B-17 rebuild is stuck on other laptop, and so are many of my assemblies. I hope I'll have time to play KSP a bit soon..

Also, I had to already make a list because of the ever-growing amount of projects I start and end. Another factor is time invested. My B-17's airframe was started in August 3, and the thread was uploaded August 23 (took long enough) while I released a Not-Really-Me-262 "replica" same day that it was constructed, but the idea of using 2.5 m parts to cram in more detail was in my head long enough.

Here it is. There is mild ranting about the nature of some aircraft.

Pzq8kWI.jpg

mJ8ATEB.jpg

m5QEPiY.jpg

Maybe I'll actually do something productive in KSP soon instead of trying to build fuselages out of radiators and wings.

So, i had the bright idea to try and make a REAL SIZED Apollo replica.... going along pretty well but i only have the Command Module done... I am truly scared of what this thing will be like.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Dz3U10b/new

Your picture doesn't seem to be showing up right, let me fix try and fix that for you.

Dz3U10b.png

I should mention that it can't really fly in the atmosphere. The second picture was taken after a failed attempt to fly it to orbit on a giant SRB with wings. Next time I'll just use hyperedit.

As for the airbrakes, they have a strange problem which involves them not responding to action groups. I can't use the default brakes action group because it would prevent me from using the wheel brakes, so I set them to extend/retract with AG1, but when I hit that action group in flight, nothing happens.

As soon as I iron out these small bugs and confirm that it can maneuver at least in space, I'll release it. Provided I don't get distracted by Silent Hunter 5 again, I can probably get this out tomorrow or Monday.

Someone else showed me the answer, set the sirbrakes to retract in the brakes action group.

Someone else showed me the answer, set the sirbrakes to retract in the brakes action group.

But what if I want them to be able to extend and retract with action groups? Will I need to set a different AG to extend them? It's not really a problem, the only Custom AG being used currently is AG 1, so I have nine others, not including the ones like RCS, SAS, and Lights.

Edited by pTrevTrevs
Capitalization error

has anyone exact numbers of the payload capaticity of the Delta IV series? (medium 5.2 & 5.4 and heavy) most numbers i find have a range from 9 to 28 (!!) tons and i'm a bit confused now

and does anyone know the weight of the current Orion ?

I found these numbers on the wikipedia page:

[table=width: 500, align: left]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td]RS-68[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]RS-68A[/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td]LEO[/td]

[td]GTO[/td]

[td]LEO[/td]

[td]GTO[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Delta IV M+(5,2)[/td]

[td]10,58t[/td]

[td]5,43t[/td]

[td]10,22t[/td]

[td]5,49t[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Delta IV M+(5,4)[/td]

[td]13,45t[/td]

[td]7,43t[/td]

[td]12,82t[/td]

[td]7,30t[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Delta IV Heavy[/td]

[td]22,98t[/td]

[td]13,40t[/td]

[td]25,98t[/td]

[td]14,22t[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

These numbers were found on spaceflight101.com:

[table=width: 500, align: left]

[tr]

[td]Delta IV M+(5,2):

11,06t to LEO

5,43t to GTO

[/td]

[td]Delta IV M+(5,4):

13,77t to LEO

7,43t to GTO

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Delta IV Heavy (RS-68):

22,95t to LEO

13,13t to GTO

[/td]

[td]Delta IV Heavy (RS-68):

25,98t to LEO

13,80t to GTO

[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

The RS-68A upgrade is basically a thrust upgrade, mostly geared toward an increase in performance of the Heavy variant. For production ease, the other variants will have this engine as well, even though this means a small decrease in performance for most of the Medium variants. The RS-68 will be phased out starting march this year. Any fluctuations may be due to the Payload Attach Fitting which can weigh 240 kg to 1.221 kg, depending on the payload.

As for Orion, the Wikipedia page states it will weigh 21,25t total (8,91t for the capsule , 12,34t for the service module). It will have 7,91t of propellant, resulting in a dV of ~1340 m/s.

Hope that helps :)

But what if I want them to be able to extend and retract with action groups? Will I need to set a different AG to extend them? It's not really a problem, the only Custom AG being used currently is AG 1, so I have nine others, not including the ones like RCS, SAS, and Lights.

This fixes not being able to use the brakes action group then put the functions of the airbrakes in a different action group

This fixes not being able to use the brakes action group then put the functions of the airbrakes in a different action group

I set extend and retract to two separate action groups, it works fine. V-Wing is up, you can find more pictures and a DL on its own thread.

Coming soon to a KSP near you!

http://i.imgur.com/bZZ25pw.png

Ack well heres a different craft not that other one :) One that you can actually see. This pic is a venom british jet fighter but the other one shall remain a mystery

http://i.imgur.com/bvD9KE7.png

The first one is either the Hawker Hunter or the F9F Cougar. The second one is the DeHavilland Venom