Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

As jeb crosses the finish line breaking all previous set world records, he forgets to deploy his parachutes, wear a helmet, and puts his hands off the steering wheel, but then again HES A STUNT MAN! "Or at least thats what the bio says" Render made in blender, GIMP after-effects. The roll cage works..... 50% of the time depending on the impact of the crash! BUT 50% is good enough for Jeb!

V6V2eyQ.png

As jeb crosses the finish line breaking all previous set world records, he forgets to deploy his parachutes, wear a helmet, and puts his hands off the steering wheel, but then again HES A STUNT MAN! "Or at least thats what the bio says" Render made in blender, GIMP after-effects. The roll cage works..... 50% of the time depending on the impact of the crash! BUT 50% is good enough for Jeb!

http://i.imgur.com/V6V2eyQ.png

Very impressive. :cool: What sort of speed we talking about here?

Cupcake...

That would be at 60 m/s, or at 55 while encountering bumps & high cornering speeds.

Yea when suspended they seem to gain a couple m/s of top speed

And the big ones are 100 m/s base

Very impressive. :cool: What sort of speed we talking about here?

Cupcake...

130 meters per second at around 3gs of acceleration

a bit less than 40ms I would think, thats when the rover wheels break ;)

There are no batteries on the dragster! the rover wheels dont hit the ground (Secret undercover landing legs do it for them!) :D

mt2n2x9.png

1CqgFHA.png

in this pic I broke the wheels by turning while at 130 meters per second whereas the wheels skimmed the surface and broke but you can kind of see the other landing gear hoisting it up.

rOFU9jc.png

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

Well a while back i released a tank with a turret that was not a separate craft, and most people had the problem of the turret falling through the hull. I have reworked the bearing and it now is much more stable for me, but before i re-release it i would like to see some of you guys' opinions.

Old thread found HERE if you care

Javascript is disabled. View full album

PLZ DOWNLOAD AND TEST

Edited by Bubbadevlin

LOL! And i haven't heard the mario cart soundtrack for years!! Let's a race!

Thank you! I tried putting in the classic Nintendo 64 songs. I still have one (who knows if it still works...) but sure lets race (When a realistic multiplayer comes out... I see you reading this SQUAD! ADD it now :)

So I've now got three autogyro prototypes that fly. With various different niggles... Fundamentally two different setups. The first, which is proving more reliable is thanks to Rune's suggestion with regard to mast and blade angles (thank you kind sir!). This one is looking more and more like a real autogyro - ie a death trap. Bobbles along at a leisurely 35ish m/s. The engine is rotated so much not for vertical lift (although appreciated) but more to counteract the huge torque moment that the rotor disc gives when you lift off.

R043bMl.jpg

CNToy4J.jpg

And the second... Well I wanted to see if you could make it work with hinged rotor blades. Yes. Yes you can. It's not elegant, but it works. Has issues that are different - I got it up to 50m/s before physics said no more. RCS no longer needed. The blades actually flap. This design can sometimes struggle to keep the blades rotating, and it does more or less fall out of the sky if they stop.

QdHf1wM.jpg

M1MbSKg.jpg

Should probably try and find a way to hid all that dinner in the cargo bay... First function. Then form.

So I've now got three autogyro prototypes that fly. With various different niggles... Fundamentally two different setups. The first, which is proving more reliable is thanks to Rune's suggestion with regard to mast and blade angles (thank you kind sir!). This one is looking more and more like a real autogyro - ie a death trap. Bobbles along at a leisurely 35ish m/s. The engine is rotated so much not for vertical lift (although appreciated) but more to counteract the huge torque moment that the rotor disc gives when you lift off.

http://i.imgur.com/R043bMl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CNToy4J.jpg

And the second... Well I wanted to see if you could make it work with hinged rotor blades. Yes. Yes you can. It's not elegant, but it works. Has issues that are different - I got it up to 50m/s before physics said no more. RCS no longer needed. The blades actually flap. This design can sometimes struggle to keep the blades rotating, and it does more or less fall out of the sky if they stop.

http://i.imgur.com/QdHf1wM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M1MbSKg.jpg

Should probably try and find a way to hid all that dinner in the cargo bay... First function. Then form.

Awesome! You are running into the same problems De La Cierva had... and for your information, a proper autogyro is much safer than a helicopter! Even more than a plane, since it glides slower. The issue is that it is a combination of those two ideas you have there: for an isolated blade at a particular instant, what I told you in the other thread is right, but the autogyro also needs to cyclically adjust the blade angle so it works both when it is moving forwards and backwards. Which is why De La Cierva had to invent the swashplate... incidentally, he also had to add two more free articulations so the blade could move forwards and backwards, and up and down, on its own: his bamboo models were flying right, but rigid models didn't, and he worked out that it was because a "free" blade actually adjusted itself co counteract instabilities powered by centrifugal* acceleration, as long as he kept its attack angle controlled. Isn't that neat? All modern helicopters have the same kind of rotor mechanism, which is why when they are parked they look so sad, with the blades hanging downwards, and why you should duck when approaching one, in case at low speed the tips fall a bit.

Rune. *It's centripetal, of course, but you probably want a reference frame centered on the blade to picture it. ;)

Well... Kerbinside's seaplane buoys aren't working for the U-Boat, whenever I try to launch from one, the boat is immediately teleported to the bottom of the ocean, where most of it explodes. Can someone tell me how to use Hyperedit to place it in water? It doesn't really matter where, as long as it's the ocean, or even a river mouth.

Now that Azi11 is released, I've started work on Azi12. Already flies 1k higher before running out of fuel (3000 meters) and flies a lot further.

Engine has 21 blowers instead of 25, Turbine has 7 blades instead of 14. Max fuel 5080 instead of 3200. Prop identical but running anti-clockwise.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/R043bMl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CNToy4J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QdHf1wM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M1MbSKg.jpg

Have some rep!

Tip: Much longer tail. And it's possible to have 2 rotor blades that are still strutted together while being detached from the main shaft, to reduce risk of Rapid Unplanned Departure. I say 2 rotor blades, because otherwise multiple strut connections will prevent easy flapping. If you're interested, I can still upload my stock cyclic/collective experiment.

The Galileo spacecraft is almost done, but their are still overheat bugs, and its RCS control is asymmetrical, and its tanks sort of flop around under acceleration. I had a NaN scare with a Payload adapter part whose position had decided to go NaN earlier. I believe with the Probe, the IUS, the shuttle+Tank+Booster, it'll be around 650 parts total... A new record! Anyone have feedback and solutions to my problems? (Besides adding 5 struts as that means 250 KILOGRAMS, and I already have KJR.) I'm working on the entry probe next.