Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Tip: Much longer tail. And it's possible to have 2 rotor blades that are still strutted together while being detached from the main shaft, to reduce risk of Rapid Unplanned Departure. I say 2 rotor blades, because otherwise multiple strut connections will prevent easy flapping. If you're interested, I can still upload my stock cyclic/collective experiment.

Very much interested in taking a peek at the stock cyclic/collective experiment. Do you mean to strut the blades to the mast, and they remain strutted after decoupling (if so, how?), or just to eachother? The only strutting I notice being necessary, is sometimes the individual elements of the blade (wing connector E) are stretching and could probably use a strut.

If anyone is interested in seeing where it is at at the moment pm me and I'll happily share the link with you, provided you fly it and crash it and provide some feedback. The only tip, do a wheelie on the runway before you start rolling just to make it easier for the blades, otherwise they don't always flap correctly until you pitch up, and therefore you get an un-commanded roll moment.

@Rune: I can't help it. I was raised with a fixed-wing flying father and subsequently my aviator buddies all spoke ill of rotorcraft. I have however seen the light ever since I first flew a chopper, and if I had the cash I'd go and do that. And while I understand the hows and the whys, I can't help but think an autogyro looks like a death trap. Typically open cockpit, has no [fixed] wings and you can't power the rotor blades directly. Still I suppose in an autogyro you can't ever get yourself into vortex ring state? My aerodynamics knowledge is too rusty so always grateful for the hints and tips of those that have it. I just have the experience of flight.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I wonder, would FAR be more understanding of the autogyro, and would you have more rpm with less mast angle? 'spose I'll add to list of experiments.

I have a feeling I am unable to resurrect the 747 again...

It flies, barely, it's definitely a long way from cruising at 10,000 m...

I think the wings are too small for a 200t+ aircraft...

http://i.imgur.com/UBvSFRB.png

http://i.imgur.com/q6K6hyM.png

http://i.imgur.com/gjV3Yoc.png

Why?

The apocalypse is near!

Too much ... unstrutted .. aliasing ^^

Edited by RevanCorana

Very much interested in taking a peek at the stock cyclic/collective experiment. Do you mean to strut the blades to the mast, and they remain strutted after decoupling (if so, how?), or just to eachother? The only strutting I notice being necessary, is sometimes the individual elements of the blade (wing connector E) are stretching and could probably use a strut.

If anyone is interested in seeing where it is at at the moment pm me and I'll happily share the link with you, provided you fly it and crash it and provide some feedback. The only tip, do a wheelie on the runway before you start rolling just to make it easier for the blades, otherwise they don't always flap correctly until you pitch up, and therefore you get an un-commanded roll moment.

@Rune: I can't help it. I was raised with a fixed-wing flying father and subsequently my aviator buddies all spoke ill of rotorcraft. I have however seen the light ever since I first flew a chopper, and if I had the cash I'd go and do that. And while I understand the hows and the whys, I can't help but think an autogyro looks like a death trap. Typically open cockpit, has no [fixed] wings and you can't power the rotor blades directly. Still I suppose in an autogyro you can't ever get yourself into vortex ring state? My aerodynamics knowledge is too rusty so always grateful for the hints and tips of those that have it. I just have the experience of flight.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I wonder, would FAR be more understanding of the autogyro, and would you have more rpm with less mast angle? 'spose I'll add to list of experiments.

I'll test/crash it. Stock cyclic/collective experiment was done in February, with 0.90 mindset and knowledge. I'll put it on KerbalX. FAR might give you better rpm, but is even more a strain on the parts, choose your strength-per-part wisely. Oh and a vortex ring state does not exist in KSP, we need fluid dynamics for that.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a feeling I am unable to resurrect the 747 again...

It flies, barely, it's definitely a long way from cruising at 10,000 m...

I think the wings are too small for a 200t+ aircraft...

Looks more like an Ekranoplan with those engines up front. Other people have built successful 747's, maybe take a look at those?

Orion inspired mun-mission

0KUfGXh.jpg

rework of the EUS is finished with seperation srb's, RCS, probecore, bat.-power and payload interface

now i have to decide, if i use the Orion MK II with the "bigger" service module for munmisisons, or the other one. which is a standard orion with normal service module, but additional munar braking/return stage. (like in the Chaka monkey SLS pack, great mod pack!)

Bah, my Typhoon submarine has more parts than that! An don't even get me started on the U-Boat. Come back when it gets above 600!

But those are water craft, with extreme detail crammed in it. This is a B-29 based hunk of fat that can barely fly, and these things aren't supposed to go beyond at least 250 ​parts.

It's not the same.

Edited by Columbia

Hold it, you've already made a B-29, I used it for inspiration for mine.

Bah, my Typhoon submarine has more parts than that! An don't even get me started on the U-Boat. Come back when it gets above 600!

Come back here when you 600+ part count vessel is completely useless and incapable of movement without the debug menu:

f8qEYmD.png

Hold it, you've already made a B-29, I used it for inspiration for mine.

Come back here when you 600+ part count vessel is completely useless and incapable of movement without the debug menu:

f8qEYmD.png

I'd say that's still pretty impressive, even if it can't move :P

http://i.imgur.com/f8qEYmD.png

U-boat=860 parts

Highest Achieved Speed=0.5m/s

Practical Uses= none, really.

Well, I guess you can make cool screenshots and do some role play, but the FPS is so low you probably wouldn't want to.

U-boat=860 parts

Highest Achieved Speed=0.5m/s

Practical Uses= none, really.

Well, I guess you can make cool screenshots and do some role play, but the FPS is so low you probably wouldn't want to.

0.5m/s Without infinite fuel and hack gravity! Stupendous! This will revolutionize... um... something. But okay, 860 parts wins. Phooey. Time for a kerbal-scale death star with interior.

Actually, what is the highest part count released craft?