Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Well, the best I've gotten my space shuttle is till just before the SRB separation, that's the point it gets rather uneven. it doesn't flip out either, it gradually pitches down. It only gets worse without the SRBs. Images below show the best i've gotten my craft flying, as well as my attempts to save my kerbals as a ditch effort. Do any shuttle builders have some tips? (Also, yes I'm using real plume for the engine effects ;) )

http://imgur.com/a/dAxl7

Well, this may be affecting your preformance, the shuttle has 4 'small cargo bays' instead of 5.

I know that, but it's a 70% scale, and while in looks its not as accurate, it's more dimensionally accurate, but it's only one part more.

*18.3 meter long IRL, 18.3X.7 is 12.81, longest single cargo bay part is 10 meters.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

The HC 1-11 Interceptor Mk II was a great custom jet im working on. It can fly at 25,000 meters up at a steady 1000 meters per second and travel 1/2 the circumference of kerbin during testing! It looks nice and is a mix of all other plane wing designs etc. Really love it may be releasing tomorrow. Did I mention this aircraft can leave the runway 2 seconds after engines start?!?! :D

Render made in blender

nKvTmB8.jpg

All I need is wings... Anyone wanna give it a go? I suggest making them hollow. Part count limit per wing is 100-150.

http://funkyimg.com/i/23eEt.png

I think it looks a lot better than the original. What do you think?

That's absolutely amazing YargJay!

How many parts is it at currently?

So the part limit for 2 wings is 200 - 300 parts, correct?

Does that include the elevators and rudder?

I'd love to give it a shot!

Edited by Jetenginestar

This is why, friends, you should never attempt building a plane backwards in the SPH.

http://i.imgur.com/b9Knq6k.png

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, I have to actually start testing stuff seriously for once..

Simply re-root to a correctly oriented part, and that should work. If not, then it's because of the angle you have in the SPH. That counts. I often turn the whole ship around in the SPH to see how she will handle at different AoA, including flying backwards and upside down.

Rune. Call it wind tunnel testing.

Well, the best I've gotten my space shuttle is till just before the SRB separation, that's the point it gets rather uneven. it doesn't flip out either, it gradually pitches down. It only gets worse without the SRBs. Images below show the best i've gotten my craft flying, as well as my attempts to save my kerbals as a ditch effort. Do any shuttle builders have some tips? (Also, yes I'm using real plume for the engine effects ;) )

http://imgur.com/a/dAxl7

Have you tried rearranging the fuel flow in the external tank so that it empties bottom-to-top? Keeping the Center of Gravity further in the front should make the engine gimbals and wing controls more effective at keeping you straight. Not exactly how it goes in the real thing, but it works.

Experimental turbine technology. These things generate a lot of lift.

http://i.imgur.com/PPAJ9Lb.jpg

Can I ask how you keep your wings from hitting those engines. I tried replicating that exact design and it works but the problem is once the thing reaches insane speeds the wings somehow expand out to hit the engine causing the release of the kraken and the end of the fun. Any tips?

I pretty much had to keep moving the engines further away until the blades didn't hit the engines at top speed.

Here's proof these turbines can be pretty powerful:

jZK6Dq6.jpg

This is lifting a whole fuel tank, (although I think I had cut the engines at this point and the craft was falling), so I'm trying to perfect it. It's just a shame it's so big and ugly. Perhaps it's only application is something silly like this:

SJmySGG.jpg

It flies but is really wobbly. And they tend to fall out of the sky when you try and land like they lose grip of the air or something. It looks like during decent the turbine blades create too much drag that almost equals the lift and it doesn't recover unless you pitch forward and translate your downward momentum forwards and then it recovers.

I pretty much had to keep moving the engines further away until the blades didn't hit the engines at top speed.

Here's proof these turbines can be pretty powerful:

http://i.imgur.com/jZK6Dq6.jpg

This is lifting a whole fuel tank, (although I think I had cut the engines at this point and the craft was falling), so I'm trying to perfect it. It's just a shame it's so big and ugly. Perhaps it's only application is something silly like this:

http://i.imgur.com/SJmySGG.jpg

It flies but is really wobbly. And they tend to fall out of the sky when you try and land like they lose grip of the air or something. It looks like during decent the turbine blades create too much drag that almost equals the lift and it doesn't recover unless you pitch forward and translate your downward momentum forwards and then it recovers.

Nice! Now make it electrical so that it works on EVE and we might have our first EVE stock SSTO xD

Nice! Now make it electrical so that it works on EVE and we might have our first EVE stock SSTO xD

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. I don't think you could do this electrically but the turbine gets more powerful the further out the engines get. Perhaps you could get lift with engines that would normally have a TWR of less than 1.

Here's my WIP Triplane... Been working on it for a while now but need the new Tiny Sized Jet engines from 1.0.5 to finished it. It's almost 1:1 scale. A few off lengths here and there but it's still pretty!

RELEASE SOON!!

23iae.png23iau.png

Anyone now how to make good looking circular tail surfaces?

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

Edited by YargJay9991

..How the hell.

I've tested a new method of wing assembly, which was inspired by Jetenginestar's MD-11:

3aj4EIT.png

I just love how it is so far. It's much longer, fewer parts and stronger, and I can simulate these without wing parts scattered all over the place:

ZsF0hYV.png

VjisSbu.png

2a2POGk.png

With wing parts connected together, a bit of contact with the surface means dragging the entire plane to bits.

(It's a Boeing 777-300ER.)

Goodbye little buddy. I put a new Pathfinder Lander on the Delta II and gave it all a good tweaking. It's solid as rock and I have Pathfinder on a Duna Transfer right now after completing the SRB kick, I used the second stage to do the first part of the 836m/s burn and the the SRB to complete it. A bit cheaty but it's not like I have a roomful of guys with sliderules behind me to calculate these things to the last few ms. And the SRB kicks like a mule, hard to control, finished it off with a teeny eensie bit of monoprop.

N7flES5.png

OTvbhu4.png

XCy8Ug6.png

Here's my WIP Triplane... Been working on it for a while now but need the new Tiny Sized Jet engines from 1.0.5 to finished it. It's almost 1:1 scale. A few off lengths here and there but it's still pretty!

RELEASE SOON!!

http://funkyimg.com/i/23iae.pnghttp://funkyimg.com/i/23iau.png

Anyone now how to make good looking circular tail surfaces?

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

Oh, I see how it is. Trying to siphon some glory off my Fokker Dr.I, are you? Well, you might just do it, the fuselage looks closer to the shape of the Fokker than mine does.

One guy already made a stock rocket powered Eve ssto. Sorry about that. No joke. Eve sstos are a thing now.

Having bumped into the stock tank fraction limits trying to squeeze a mere 5km/s into one design (without nukes of course, but hose would be worse than useless on Eve), I highly doubt you can do that. As in, I'm pretty sure what you said must be wrong.

Rune. A link would mayhap convince me otherwise, but... pics or it didn't happen.

Yeah me too! I'm pretty sure it's impossible but if not I want to see how it can be done.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind. I found the guy who did it. He even has a video. How did I not know this!! :(

Holy boop I stand corrected! Still, I gotta say, that is a low dV reading it has there... 3.5km/s to SSTO Eve? I don't think that's flyable by me...

Rune. Still, thoroughly amazed. Gotta try this sometime!