Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Interesting. Maybe you don't need those airbrakes arranged in a circle, though. Perhaps you could use just one of them per arm like a hydraulic piston. Use three or four these arms and you should get a nice, level lifting platform!

That is a simpler idea but attaching them to a bearing like that increases the size of the movement the airbrakes generate. On their own the lift height would be quite small.

Can we see a video of it in motion? That way we can get a better idea of what could be done with it.

MJ

Here's a short demonstration. The crane itself is a bit rubbish, it's just to demonstrate the bearing.

The bearing is sturdier than it looks in the video. The crane is very wobbly, not well balanced and it is lifting fuel tanks. If anyone wants the bearing sub-assembly let me know. If all you want to do is make a lifting ramp out of plane wings then it could be a lot smaller and simpler although there is supposed to be a mk 3 rear ramp part coming out maybe not this update but the next so it might not be worth it.

Here's a short demonstration. The crane itself is a bit rubbish, it's just to demonstrate the bearing.

The bearing is sturdier than it looks in the video. The crane is very wobbly, not well balanced and it is lifting fuel tanks. If anyone wants the bearing sub-assembly let me know. If all you want to do is make a lifting ramp out of plane wings then it could be a lot smaller and simpler although there is supposed to be a mk 3 rear ramp part coming out maybe not this update but the next so it might not be worth it.

Ok i can see how it works now. The cubic struts are attached to the large stack separator and do not allow the airbrake to move relative to the struts so all the torque goes into the rotation. Clever! Any ideas outside of a crane?

OMG, those lifting mechanisms are much simpler than mine! Very nice. :) Still, I can drop a door with my bearing lifter but I do like the vertical lift style better.

Thanks, I'm now trying to make a functional elevator (lift).

- - - Updated - - -

OMG, those lifting mechanisms are much simpler than mine! Very nice. :) Still, I can drop a door with my bearing lifter but I do like the vertical lift style better.

The only problem is that it can't go higher than the length of the deployed airbrake.

Hmmm seems that they only interact when not part of the same vessel

Yep that's right. They don't move things they are attached to. Only parts on other ships.

Great for making moving things. Lots of people are doing it these days. :)

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

Was hoping they could make a good alternative to landing gear in a K drive. Evidently not. :(

That depends. People have made moving things by clipping other parts from seperate crafts and using a weird (and impossible IRL) push/pull mechanism (what I meant to say is K-drive. Stupid brain for making me write more words than I needed to)...

A bit like this. Sorry for the BAD quality pic, it was a quick one...

23HL2.png

I think someone should look into this. I'll have a look and see what happens. Added to list for tomorrow....

Happy Flying

YargJay9991